Overall impressions from this first look?

vcubanana said:
ramtastic83 said:
did gavin look out of conditioning to anyone else?
He's gotten quicker than he was when he first came. He'll be fine.

quick and conditioned are two different things...probably just rusty hasnt played a game in forever

Hopefully it was just a bad game for him, which they all will have, however some posters had me expecting this automatic, money ball gunner! ;)

Honestly I did not see Ed miss many gimme layups last night - - maybe 1, but not several. I saw him take it to the hole a couple of times, miss the layup BUT get fouled...at least that's how I remember it.

What I did see was a guy that hit a 3 pointer (on 3 attempts, so not too bad), sky for a powerful rebound or two, play great defense and work his a$$ off at the front of the press). He will get minutes because he brings something the other guards don't - size, length, rebounding, athleticism, versatility on D, the ability to be the 3rd (big guard) out there. He is WAY more athletic than TJ.

I also liked Theus in there at pg. I saw him battling for rebounds (the 6'4" height doesn't hurt) and overall just playing hard and composed (especially as a freshman).

Ed's commitment to defense is going to get him on the floor regardless of whether he scores or not...and he will score.

I didn't see game, but regarding Gavin we must give him time...same with Skeen. Transfer/sitting a year is VERY difficult for all players during early live games

Gavin's freshman year was more impressive than Burgess freshman year [I mean that as a complete to both]. The difference is Gavin wasn't at VCU and then had to sit out a year,compared to Burgess continuation from a very good freshman year. I believe it will take Gavin 6-8 games before he gets his "live" D1 legs.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM said:
BaNgMyPrOgRaM said:
Right. This team is deep.

What he said.

-----------------------
Go RAMS!
Beat Wildcats!!

With the depth and the various line ups Shaka can throw at our competition, it's gonna be hard for any team to get their grove going...Havoc defined...

Roz's shot looked better, good rotation, less side spin, going to be hard to keep him out of the lineup. Larry continues to make great strides, did not get baited into fouls, no offensive charges, improved outlet passes, jump hook, ...

Rebounding is a concern when Larry is resting, team effort required, no early releases.

Freshman guards looked the part and that's ok.

Pace of play was as advertised, looking forward to an exciting year

Back