Poll: Where do you think Larry gets drafted?

Where do you think Larry Sanders will end up being drafted this Thursday's NBA draft?

• He will surprise everyone and go in the top 10:

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • He will sneak into the late part of the lottery (10-14):

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • The rumors are true and either the Bucks or the Bulls take him with 15 or 17:

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • Neither rumor is true and he goes in the 20's:

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • He slips into the top of the 2nd round:

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
districtballer said:
ramathon74 said:
Newest ESPN magazine doesn't have Larry being drafted in the 1st round, found it hard to believe. Sporting News mag had him going at 15th.

Well there you go. It is a possibility as much as most of us don't want to admit it. There have been question marks about Larry's maturity and mental toughness all season and I'm sure a number of teams have picked up on that. With 180 NBA scouts combined at his games this season (which means some came several times), I'm sure a good number of them picked up on his attitude issues and how he zoned out when he was disinterested with the game.

That combined with his mediocre vertical and thin frame, and I could see him slipping. A 28" vertical is pretty disappointing for a guy who is known for his athleticism. 222 pounds for a guy who is 6'9.25 feet tall is very thin. His length wasn't 7'7 like many of us thought, although 7'5.75 feet is still monstrous and his standing reach at 9'4 is one of the biggest of anyone in the draft. All those things could give several teams pause and in the right combination of scenarios, Larry could fall out of the first round. This is a very distinct and plausible scenario.

That said, like Chill mentioned before, all it takes is 1 team to fall in love with you to take you in the first round. It seems there are a couple of such teams if the media is to be believed. We'll see anyway, it's just a couple of days away.

Larry is 21 yrs old. Sure he could end up like Rasheed Wallace, Dennis Rodman, and Ron Artest in terms of having a bad boy image wise. But those guys have won! It's too early to stereotype him. I hope he grows and figures things out. We have all been there! I

It's not about a bad-boy image. It's about zoning out and being disinterested or lacking the mental toughness to play. You could never accuse Sheed, Rodman, or Artest of being characterized that way. We're not talking Artest here, we're talking Kwame Brown. A kid with all the tools, but not the mental fortitude to get through the pressures and rigors of the NBA lifestyle.

I wouldn't compare LS1 to Rasheed,one of my favorites, Artest or Rodman. I have not seen that killer instinct but a couple of times, not consistently. I certainly think he is miles ahead of Kwame Brown also. If I had to compare him to anyone I would say he rimds me of Tyrus Thomas when he was at LSU. I don't for one second imagine that he would be drafted 4th like Thomas was but I see him in a similar role in the league.

districtballer said:
It's not about a bad-boy image. It's about zoning out and being disinterested or lacking the mental toughness to play. You could never accuse Sheed, Rodman, or Artest of being characterized that way. We're not talking Artest here, we're talking Kwame Brown. A kid with all the tools, but not the mental fortitude to get through the pressures and rigors of the NBA lifestyle.

Go back and watch Artest press conference after the finals. He says it himself. He let his Indiana team down, and he was not mature enough. He was disinterested! I respectfully disagree.

L72boy said:
districtballer said:

Go back and watch Artest press conference after the finals. He says it himself. He let his Indiana team down, and he was not mature enough. He was disinterested! I respectfully disagree.

I agree earlier in his career he was not mature. You make a good point there. I was just trying to point out it's not necessarily the bad-boy image that would drop Larry. I don't think Larry even had that image in the CAA. He was just an immature guy who zoned in and out of games and was easily frustrated.

Artest needed a psychiatrist to be able to contribute productively in the NBA because he was violent and temperamental. I don't think Sanders is quite that bad (not even close actually), he just shuts it down and stops caring if things aren't going right or he's ticked off about something. It's still enough of a consideration for some teams that they might pass on him.

districtballer said:
L72boy said:
districtballer said:

I agree earlier in his career he was not mature. You make a good point there. I was just trying to point out it's not necessarily the bad-boy image that would drop Larry. I don't think Larry even had that image in the CAA. He was just an immature guy who zoned in and out of games and was easily frustrated.

Artest needed a psychiatrist to be able to contribute productively in the NBA because he was violent and temperamental. I don't think Sanders is quite that bad (not even close actually), he just shuts it down and stops caring if things aren't going right or he's ticked off about something. It's still enough of a consideration for some teams that they might pass on him.

That's why I pointed out he was only 21 and I hope he grows. As we all mature we change, so any bad habits he has he can change. I'm all for him, his smile is pretty awesome and can get you pumped up! Watch San Antonio! They don't show much but could take him.

Yup, he's young, but teams have shown in the past that they consider attitude problems when selecting a player and it's not unusual to see them pass on players with them. They were all young prospects too.

I hope he learns as well, but we can't pretend it's not a factor and could be a reason he slips if he does.

districtballer said:
ramathon74 said:
Newest ESPN magazine doesn't have Larry being drafted in the 1st round, found it hard to believe. Sporting News mag had him going at 15th.

Well there you go. It is a possibility as much as most of us don't want to admit it. There have been question marks about Larry's maturity and mental toughness all season and I'm sure a number of teams have picked up on that. With 180 NBA scouts combined at his games this season (which means some came several times), I'm sure a good number of them picked up on his attitude issues and how he zoned out when he was disinterested with the game.

That combined with his mediocre vertical and thin frame, and I could see him slipping. A 28" vertical is pretty disappointing for a guy who is known for his athleticism. 222 pounds for a guy who is 6'9.25 feet tall is very thin. His length wasn't 7'7 like many of us thought, although 7'5.75 feet is still monstrous and his standing reach at 9'4 is one of the biggest of anyone in the draft. All those things could give several teams pause and in the right combination of scenarios, Larry could fall out of the first round. This is a very distinct and plausible scenario.

That said, like Chill mentioned before, all it takes is 1 team to fall in love with you to take you in the first round. It seems there are a couple of such teams if the media is to be believed. We'll see anyway, it's just a couple of days away.

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, that mock draft was done by individual players on the team. Not the GM.

Gotcha. My points still stand as to why he might slide if he does though. I'm sure with the players being the one's polled and the limited visibility of VCU on national television that few of them are familiar with Sanders. I highly doubt NBA GM's would do a mock draft anyway. Why would they give away who they like?

They are the last people I would expect to participate in published mock drafts. :lol:

Back