Post Game Thoughts

Just got home. Great game experience, except that's the furthest I've ever had to drive for a VCU home game ;) ! It was was it was. You could tell that its hard for the guys to get pumped for a road CBI game and it showed at times on the court. I was proud of Joey fighting through the pain he was in (looked like he hurt his ankle/shin when he tripped over a cameraman).
What a great night and I am proud of all the fans that made the trip up. Hope everyone got home safe.
JUST WIN!

GimmeYoWhistle said:
Cannot say enough about how great our crowd was there tonight. Totally drowned out the minimal GW fans there and you could tell the players really fed off it. Shaka even smiled at us a few times. Well done VCU fans!
Thinking back on the night, I just remember that one defensive stand we had early in the second half, the VCU faithful just filled the arena up with energy and noise, i felt like we were at the Stu North.

Why were people so upset about losing in OT to ODU since we were the "extremely lesser" team?

vcubanana said:
Some people just try to find the bad when it's all good!

People like that just must live a sad life.

vcubanana said:
Just got home. Great game experience, except that's the furthest I've ever had to drive for a VCU home game ;) ! It was was it was. You could tell that its hard for the guys to get pumped for a road CBI game and it showed at times on the court. I was proud of Joey fighting through the pain he was in (looked like he hurt his ankle/shin when he tripped over a cameraman).
What a great night and I am proud of all the fans that made the trip up. Hope everyone got home safe.
JUST WIN!

You got to love it. We shoot 10 for 18 from the three in the first half, and people complain we took too many in the second half (when they were not falling). I think you do (or at least try) to do what got you there, and in the first half it was the threes.How can you blame them if they keep shooting them? Had we not shot them in the second half "some" people would be complaining that we got away form the game plan we used in the first half.

The Joey haters start slamming him, but had they been at the game they would have noticed him limping early in the second half, and playing through it the rest of the way. Tough kid. I talked to him after the game and he said it hurt, but he thought he would be OK.

Fans really came out tonight. Noticed Shaka when the he first came out looked at the crowd and just smiled.

For the record:

Larry- 11 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks
Joey- 16 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists
Five guys in double figures

A-10 team. That makes us 3-0 against the A-10 this year.

See you Monday.

I didn't see the game due to travel, but we've taken way too many threes all year long. Doesn't matter if we hit them one half and not another, they are low percentage shots with long rebounds (compounding our rebounding problems against teams like ODU) and require much less discipline than working the ball inside. People want to know why we are in the CBI and finishing 5th in the league - - look no further than jacking up 23 ft shots early in the shot clock when we have leads.

Well the road trip up and back to GW was fun. As for the game.... First half we started off slow but finished the first half on fire from 3. Second half, we started giving away the game again, but thanks to clutch shots, and key free throws we managed to keep our lead and win the game.

Overall I think we did well. As always there's a few things we could have done better, but hey no body is perfect. Now we have to get ready for our next game on Monday. Hopefully we can do well and advance again.

Congrats on the win Rams.

I watched he game.
1. Pt. guard has 8 turnovers. Doesn't include sloppy passes taking away offensive pattern.
2. Lethargic passing. You have to love slow lob passes if you are a defender.
3. Quick shots with little time off of the clock. Those shots are available throughout the entire 35 seconds.
4. Poor inside defense. No blockouts.
5. Pt. guard consistently dribbles into corners and to the baseline, leaves feet with ball without knowing who is open.
6. Team is on a killer run. Replace team with a new 5.
7. Player goes to hoop on nice drive and hits a 3. Gets pulled.
8. The team does not quit and won the game. It is a road win regardless of its lack of beauty. One day I watched a guy hit a wormburner on a short par 3 and the ball went in the hole. When we finished the round his card showed that he had hit a hole in one. A 1 is a 1. A W is a W. Every one on the team will have a completely different game next time out, including the coach.

deadpoet said:
I watched he game.
1. Pt. guard has 8 turnovers. Doesn't include sloppy passes taking away offensive pattern.
2. Lethargic passing. You have to love slow lob passes if you are a defender.
3. Quick shots with little time off of the clock. Those shots are available throughout the entire 35 seconds.
4. Poor inside defense. No blockouts.
5. Pt. guard consistently dribbles into corners and to the baseline, leaves feet with ball without knowing who is open.
6. Team is on a killer run. Replace team with a new 5.
7. Player goes to hoop on nice drive and hits a 3. Gets pulled.
8. The team does not quit and won the game. It is a road win regardless of its lack of beauty. One day I watched a guy hit a wormburner on a short par 3 and the ball went in the hole. When we finished the round his card showed that he had hit a hole in one. A 1 is a 1. A W is a W. Every one on the team will have a completely different game next time out, including the coach.

I think wavevcu, Rambunctious, deadpoet, and myself were all watching the same game while some of you were watching Cartoon Network. Sloppy win. Blame it on Joey's injury at the end of the game. He was making a lot of mistakes before the injury. I do give Joey props for playing through it and especially for hitting those two free throws immediately following. If anyone thinks George Washington was even CLOSE in terms of talent, then you are being WAY too nice. These lob passes are killing us. They are just asking for the other team to pick them off. I just don't think Shaka has the discipline that Grant had. Our players are getting by with sloppy play that they wouldn't have under Grant. The adjustments we need to make are things we can work on over the next five days. Let's just hope we get Charleston on Monday and can correct these mistakes and get that next W!

Did no one else notice how much better we played as a team with Larry on the bench? He goes out in the first half when we are up 2. The team with Skeen at the low post goes on a tear and stretches the lead to 17 at one point and 12 at the half. Larry starts the second half and GW works our lead down to 2. Larry goes out with his third foul and we regain momentum and go up by 10 again. It was so obvious watching it on TV, my whole family was saying "leave Larry on the bench." With about 5 minutes left he came back in and made a nice move to the basket and finished the three point play and did not play too badly the rest of the way. It is just frustrating to me to watch someone with so much physical talent be so clueless at times about the fundamentals of blocking out, low post defense and gaining low post position on offense.

Hopin' Charleston wins tonight...their RPI is 91 as compared to 155 for EKU. I'd prefer the highest ranked teams from here on out (it would add a small air of legitimacy to this CBI thing)

also today's did you know...Richmond was in the CBI for both years it's existed. Here are some other past participants.

2009 – Boise State, Buffalo, Charleston, Green Bay, Houston, Nevada, Houston, Northeastern, Oregon State, Richmond, St. John's, Stanford, Troy, UTEP, Vermont, Wichita State, Wyoming

2008 – Bradley, Brown, Cincinnati, Houston, Miami (Ohio), Nevada, Ohio, Old Dominion, Richmond, Rider, Tulsa, Utah, UTEP, Valparaiso, Virginia, Washington

First, always great to win, congrats to the team for winning on the road. I know they were extremely disappointed by not getting selected to the NIT, but we are still playing. Heck, at least we did not blow a 30 point lead at home like GMU did last night. That had to hurt. Our team stuck with it and won.

So, you think we can draw more than 783 on Monday? ;) Its good to hear our faithful probably outnumbered the host team fans. Will spring break be over and the students in force Monday night to wreak HAVOC? Hope so. Spring is here and we are still playing. GO RAMS!

It wasn't pretty, but unlike earlier in the season we were able to hang on and win. I think the CBI is already paying dividends.

Back