Quote from McKie

Mistachill

Elite Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2009
Posts
21,198
Likes
38,658
Per Rivals:

"Wake Forest and Clemson are recruiting me the hardest," McKie said. "But Alabama and Coach (Anthony) Grant just offered and are coming on strong, and Virginia and VCU are also right there."

Has McKie started thinking about a timeline for his decision?

"I want to decide in the summer," he said. "I want to make my decision before my senior year starts."
 
The whole article was actually about UVa's recruitment of him so the focus was on them and Bennett more than anyone else. Can't post the link because it was a subscriber article.

ShoeSh1ne said:
Alabama.

Only school to mention the coach.
 
I still say Alabama. There's obviously something about Grant that gets players to join him, and most like he's there for McKie's entire stay. (Maybe)
 
Hopefully we make a big push for him over the summer after this year's class is in place. He already knows the school and many of the current players he just needs to get to know the new coaching staff. Any other updates on him? I believe DB had mentioned before the coaching changes at both schools that we were above UVA on his list, is that still the case? Does it look like UNC is going to offer him a spot?
 
VCU Finance 2008 said:
Hopefully we make a big push for him over the summer after this year's class is in place. He already knows the school and many of the current players he just needs to get to know the new coaching staff. Any other updates on him? I believe DB had mentioned before the coaching changes at both schools that we were above UVA on his list, is that still the case? Does it look like UNC is going to offer him a spot?

No longer, UVA hired Jason Wiliford as an assistant who has a lot of connections in the Richmond area and actually knows McKie really well. Spurlock has been recruiting McKie real hard and I think he's more likely to come to UVA than VCU at this point. While we're still in the mix, the big thing we had going for us was Coach Grant, and he's not here any more. I don't think we're going to get him honestly and objectively.
 
I think he's waiting to see if UNC offers, he's friends with a lot of people there too, like Big Ed
 
chrisbrower said:
I think he's waiting to see if UNC offers, he's friends with a lot of people there too, like Big Ed

If UNC offers it goes without saying that McKie will go. He's a HUGE Tar Heel fan, has been his whole life.
 
Thanks for the info DB. I still think we need to go after him. This could be our best opportunity in a while to compete with these ACC schools for a recruit due to him being a hometown guy. All along it has seemed like he would go to UNC in a heartbeat if offered. It seems like they are taking their time though, maybe they won't offer or maybe they know that he is not planning on making a decision until he hears from them first. Since you mentioned ED it was nice to see the year he had at UNC and I was pleasantly surprised by how high the NBA scouts are on him already. Looks like he will follow his father's footsteps and move onto the association before everything is said and done. Good to see that out of a hometown guy, but it would be good for them to stay at home as well.
 
Even with Grant I think it was a long shot. But you can't sign big time talent if you don't recruit them. If Nevada can sign a McDonald's All-American I see no reason why we can't eventually sign a four star recruit once every few years.

districtballer said:
VCU Finance 2008 said:
Hopefully we make a big push for him over the summer after this year's class is in place. He already knows the school and many of the current players he just needs to get to know the new coaching staff. Any other updates on him? I believe DB had mentioned before the coaching changes at both schools that we were above UVA on his list, is that still the case? Does it look like UNC is going to offer him a spot?

No longer, UVA hired Jason Wiliford as an assistant who has a lot of connections in the Richmond area and actually knows McKie really well. Spurlock has been recruiting McKie real hard and I think he's more likely to come to UVA than VCU at this point. While we're still in the mix, the big thing we had going for us was Coach Grant, and he's not here any more. I don't think we're going to get him honestly and objectively.
 
Mistachill said:
Even with Grant I think it was a long shot. But you can't sign big time talent if you don't recruit them. If Nevada can sign a McDonald's All-American I see no reason why we can't eventually sign a four star recruit once every few years.

districtballer said:
VCU Finance 2008 said:
Hopefully we make a big push for him over the summer after this year's class is in place. He already knows the school and many of the current players he just needs to get to know the new coaching staff. Any other updates on him? I believe DB had mentioned before the coaching changes at both schools that we were above UVA on his list, is that still the case? Does it look like UNC is going to offer him a spot?

No longer, UVA hired Jason Wiliford as an assistant who has a lot of connections in the Richmond area and actually knows McKie really well. Spurlock has been recruiting McKie real hard and I think he's more likely to come to UVA than VCU at this point. While we're still in the mix, the big thing we had going for us was Coach Grant, and he's not here any more. I don't think we're going to get him honestly and objectively.

I agree. You have to go hard at these kind of guys. We are still recruiting him hard. There's nothing wrong about being objective about your chances though.
 
someone needs to tell travis if he goes to UVA they will have to pass 4 times before being allowed to shoot.

:lol:
 
I think Bennett has already tackled that issue and is telling recruits he's going to be "flexible" and "coach to the talent." I think Mooney at Richmond had to learn that lesson the hard way.

chrisbrower said:
someone needs to tell travis if he goes to UVA they will have to pass 4 times before being allowed to shoot.

:lol:
 
Mistachill said:
I think Bennett has already tackled that issue and is telling recruits he's going to be "flexible" and "coach to the talent." I think Mooney at Richmond had to learn that lesson the hard way.

chrisbrower said:
someone needs to tell travis if he goes to UVA they will have to pass 4 times before being allowed to shoot.

:lol:

they always say that to recruits
 
districtballer said:
I agree. You have to go hard at these kind of guys. We are still recruiting him hard. There's nothing wrong about being objective about your chances though.
Not at all. That was what I wanted to hear. Well not what I wanted to hear, but I wanted the truth whatever that was. He has been a longshot for us all along, and losing AG didn't help, but at least he is still bringing up VCU. Even if we don't get him, just being in the mix this far along is good press for us.
 
Back
Top