Recruiting Competiton Left

mwalvlior said:
would landing a player like bradley have an impact on cady's decision or we have no real idea as to why umass is the whisper leader? also, did drake run out of schollies yet, not that we care about that around here?

Not sure why that would matter since landing Bradley is no surer a thing as Cady commiting to us. For whatever reason he likes UMass. Coach Kellogg has done a great job recruiting guys up to UMass. Former VCU target Freddie Riley and Terrell Vinson were both 4-star players. He's getting the job done. The A-10 has been getting it's fair share of 4-star recruits (Dayton, Xavier, Charlotte, and UMass all getting at least one).

A lot of people are overlooking Skeen as well who is probably the best offensive player we have. He will have to shoulder a lot of the load once Larry's gone.

Donte Williams is looking at the SEC now I believe. Hadn't heard much on him.

is it just me, or could we be potentially running larry off by over recruiting his schollie? im talking in the terms that he has this blow up year and can make a move to the pros as a junior.

r4m said:
is it just me, or could we be potentially running larry off by over recruiting his schollie? im talking in the terms that he has this blow up year and can make a move to the pros as a junior.

If he decides to stay I'm fairly certain it would be someone else going and not Larry. :lol:

lolol yeah of course. im just not used to us having players that can go pro early and the thought crossed my mind just now with all this over recruitment talk. but yeah that would make the most sense haha

districtballer said:
r4m said:

If he decides to stay I'm fairly certain it would be someone else going and not Larry. :lol:

You sure about that? I dunno, I hear Larry's game is weak. According to the GMU and ODU fans he has no offense, and he averages 12 fouls a game. I don't know if I could make room for a guy like that. :lol: :lol:

r4m said:

I'm sure the coaching staff, players and administration will do everything they can to get Larry to stay. Larry won't be run off.

r4m said:

you are also forgetting that he doesnt need a blowup year to be a number 1 pick next year in the nba. bj mullens had an awful year and was still a first rounder. the tools larry has even if his offensive game does expand as much as some might like will make him a top 20 pick because he can rebound and block shots.

xjohnx said:
You sure about that? I dunno, I hear Larry's game is weak. According to the GMU and ODU fans he has no offense, and he averages 12 fouls a game. I don't know if I could make room for a guy like that. :lol: :lol:

That's only the fouls they call on him. He actually commits 15 others. Of course, when Larry looks at the big Danish guy from ODU, the guy's ankle and arm start hurting really bad.

r4m said:
lolol yeah of course. im just not used to us having players that can go pro early and the thought crossed my mind just now with all this over recruitment talk. but yeah that would make the most sense haha

This is what happens when you're program grows the way VCU's is. No other CAA team has to deal with this issue. All the big-time schools (UNC, Duke, Kansas, UCLA etc.) deal with this stuff every year and somehow they have the full complement of scholarships when the time comes. It's a problem every other team in the CAA would love to have, whether they admit it or not. This is all apart of evolving into a great basketball program on the national stage.

districtballer said:
mwalvlior said:
would landing a player like bradley have an impact on cady's decision or we have no real idea as to why umass is the whisper leader? also, did drake run out of schollies yet, not that we care about that around here?

Not sure why that would matter since landing Bradley is no surer a thing as Cady commiting to us. For whatever reason he likes UMass. Coach Kellogg has done a great job recruiting guys up to UMass. Former VCU target Freddie Riley and Terrell Vinson were both 4-star players. He's getting the job done. The A-10 has been getting it's fair share of 4-star recruits (Dayton, Xavier, Charlotte, and UMass all getting at least one).

My point was just that there are players who dont want to be the first or the only "big time" recruit at a place so by having others who are deemed to be "above" where a player is it might entice them more to that school. I am not saying Bradley is a sure thing either, just that if we did it might help in the way i just described.

We need Bradley mostly because outside of him we don't have another option. Lulane likes Umass and will probably go there. We have been giving Basabe the backup prom date treatment and Sienna wanted him since Day 1

Bradley or bust!

Haha let them say what they want. They're delusional if they don't think having 2 first-round NBA draft picks 2 years in a row (with one leaving early) isn't going to help us recruiting and perception-wise as a program. This is a great problem to have. Players now know they can go to the NBA from VCU. Can they say that about any other CAA school at this point? It's a great advantage which has been reflected in the quality of recruits VCU has been bringing in this year after Maynor's selection and Larry's explosion over the summer.

Food for thought...we've lost at least one scholarship prior to or during each season for the past six years:

2009 - Franck Ndongo
2008 - Myk Brown, Lance Kearse
2007 - Eric Davis, Sam Faulk
2006 - Renardo Dixon
2005 - Deonte Smith
2004 - Drew Johnson

Mistachill said:
Food for thought...we've lost at least one scholarship prior to or during each season for the past six years:

2009 - Franck Ndongo, Lance Kearse
2008 - Myk Brown
2007 - Eric Davis, Sam Faulk
2006 - Renardo Dixon
2005 - Deonte Smith
2004 - Drew Johnson

'chill is that ur way of saying larry is leaving and we have 1 or larry and X are leaving and we have 2?

mwalvlior said:
r4m said:

you are also forgetting that he doesnt need a blowup year to be a number 1 pick next year in the nba. bj mullens had an awful year and was still a first rounder. the tools larry has even if his offensive game does expand as much as some might like will make him a top 20 pick because he can rebound and block shots.

thats true but mullens had on his side that hes 7'1 260 and went to Ohio State. Hes going to be a joke in the nba i predict even if he manages to stay injury free somehow

Back