Recruiting Competiton Left

Chill, I agree that the vast majority of kids wouldn't want to stay if they're buried on the bench, but it's a difficult situation when the player in question is a rising senior and has been part of a team for three or four years. These guys spend so much time together, they get to be like brothers and that bond can be tough to break.

The reason I bring that up is because of all the players on our roster who I could see transferring out after the 2009-10 season will be seniors -- most notably Nixon or Joey, because they're both Florida kids and both have essentially been recruited over (maybe not for this year, but I'm 99.9 percent sure Joey isn't Shaka's long-term solution at PG).

Even if it's their choice to leave, I can't see how it wouldn't impact the chemistry of a team that has grown accustomed to playing together -- especially if Larry goes, we'd be taking a huge hit in the leadership department.

AG_fan said:
Chill, I agree that the vast majority of kids wouldn't want to stay if they're buried on the bench, but it's a difficult situation when the player in question is a rising senior and has been part of a team for three or four years. These guys spend so much time together, they get to be like brothers and that bond can be tough to break.

The reason I bring that up is because of all the players on our roster who I could see transferring out after the 2009-10 season will be seniors -- most notably Nixon or Joey, because they're both Florida kids and both have essentially been recruited over (maybe not for this year, but I'm 99.9 percent sure Joey isn't Shaka's long-term solution at PG).

Even if it's their choice to leave, I can't see how it wouldn't impact the chemistry of a team that has grown accustomed to playing together -- especially if Larry goes, we'd be taking a huge hit in the leadership department.

Gotta agree there, if I had to choose a player that would get replaced I would say it would be Joey especially if Theus and Grayson become players

You know, people are assuming substraction is the solution (which makes the most sense considering the backlog of guards), but there are a number of scenarios that would not require somebody leaving.

For example, remember when JPR first joined the team as a walk-on? I'm assuming that was because he was eligible for enough financial aid to cover his tuition. Suppose there's someone on the team in a similar situation and has agreed to go that route if asked to do so?

I usually don't play this card, but I think this is one of those situations where the coaching staff know their team's situation far better than we will ever know. Maybe there's somebody on the team in a serious academic hole they're not likely to climb out of? Maybe there's a knucklehead on the team that they can easily justify getting rid of? Maybe there's somebody very unhappy and the staff knows its just a matter of time before they leave?

I guess I'm saying we kinda just have to wait and see and trust that Coach Smart knows what he's doing.

I have my thoughts roster changes in order to accomadate for incoming scholarships, but I am going to reserve stating them for now.

I feel like junior years are very very important in a players development. Lots of guys who have worn that VCU logo didn't come into their game until their junior year. We will know a lot more about players progress when the season is over. For now though, sign 'em all!

I can anyone see a situation where if no one leaves the team and Larry decides to stay for his senior year, that Larry may decide to give up his scholarship and give it to someone else?

I mean he'll be going to the NBA right after and get paid $$$...what is 12k to him then? Especially if he can have the best players on his team to help him get farther into the tournament? It only helps Larry's exposure.

Mistachill said:
You know, people are assuming substraction is the solution (which makes the most sense considering the backlog of guards), but there are a number of scenarios that would not require somebody leaving.

For example, remember when JPR first joined the team as a walk-on? I'm assuming that was because he was eligible for enough financial aid to cover his tuition. Suppose there's someone on the team in a similar situation and has agreed to go that route if asked to do so?

I usually don't play this card, but I think this is one of those situations where the coaching staff know their team's situation far better than we will ever know. Maybe there's somebody on the team in a serious academic hole they're not likely to climb out of? Maybe there's a knucklehead on the team that they can easily justify getting rid of? Maybe there's somebody very unhappy and the staff knows its just a matter of time before they leave?

I guess I'm saying we kinda just have to wait and see and trust that Coach Smart knows what he's doing.

We don't have any idea on the situation. Remeber too, that Joey left and could have given up his scholly. His family makes enough money to pay his way. We never know! Hinton is still a walk-on I would guess. So we very well could have one scholarship left.

Mistachill said:

Yeah, I agree with Chill. Let's not get carried away with this talk about someone being forced off of the team. I am not an insider, but Coach Smart hasn't done any thing so far to indicate to me that he is a John Calipari clone. Frank left, but that was a bit of a different situation since he had already graduated and he wasn't really recruited over as he had played very few min's his entire career. He was also coming off of an injury and it might have taken him some time to get back into shape to play the game at D1 speed. I don't know if it was Coach Smart or Frank that brought up the idea of transferring, but he is now playing for a D-II power with 2 years of eligibility remaining and earning a masters degree in his chosen field. It doesn't seem like he was put in a bad situation at all. Don't forget that if Larry leaves we can still sign one more player without forcing any of the current players off of the team. Coach Smart could also red shirt one or two of the incoming freshmen which would help with the number of guards. Even if we had all 13 scholarships open some years you are just not going to find a 6'10 big man with skills to sign. We are better off having a 6'8 guy who is athletic then a 6'10 lug with no skills that we sign just because of his height. I trust that the coaching staff knows what they are doing here. We can all say whatever we want, but they are the ones whose jobs are at stake so I am sure that they are doing everything they possibly can to put the best VCU team possible on the floor.

DCRAM said:
I can anyone see a situation where if no one leaves the team and Larry decides to stay for his senior year, that Larry may decide to give up his scholarship and give it to someone else?

I mean he'll be going to the NBA right after and get paid $$$...what is 12k to him then? Especially if he can have the best players on his team to help him get farther into the tournament? It only helps Larry's exposure.

That's definitely an interesting strategy. That said, a player is only an injury away from the end of his career. I'd keep the scholly for myself..

We should recruit two more players, then just give Larry one of the men's soccer team's scholarships :D

He'd make one heck of a goalie with that wingspan. He wouldn't even have to dive for the ball.

Forget the NBA Larry. Become the Landlord of the World Cup. :lol:

I've got a real easy solution to this 12k scholarship issue. If the VCU basketball community really wants to keep a guy, and scholarship $$ is an issue... we post a ramnation volunteer at the doors of a couple of key home games with a can and ask each or our screaming 7500 fans to donate $1 to the VCU RAMNATION SCHOLARSHIP FUND. In a couple of games we'd have enough money to keep whoever we wanted. We could even vote on RAMNATION on who the scholly gets awarded to. I'd pony up a buck on the way in the door to keep a player who was going to provide me another season of quality VCU basketball.

Or lets add the opportunity to donate to the VCU RAMNATION SCHOLARSHIP at the ticket window by having them ask (like they do at the grocery store) if you want to donate .50 to the fund when you purchase your ticket. Surely somebody could set something like that up to help provide for the future of VCU basketball.

I left a message late last week for Mike Ellis; it was for a suggestion to raise money to establish a scholarship fund in Larry's name.

My suggestion was to have VCU fans sign up to donate a dollar for either each blocked shot or dunk Larry has this season.

Haven't heard anything back May be an issue since it could interfere with the way Larry plays his game (wouldn't want him fouling out trying to get extra blocks), so maybe not a good idea.

Back