Recruiting Competiton Left

Now that McCarter is in the fold I wanted to see if I could get a better handle on where we are looking next, what our realistic chances of bringing in the different players are, and against which programs we are competing.

The biggest name both in ranking and pure size appears to be Michael Bradley. I know that he is going to visit at BC though it has been said on here that it is really only because BC is an ACC school and not because he really wants to go there. The other most mentioned team for his services i believe has been Drake. So is the consensus that we are definitely in his top 3 because of our mix of on and off court appeals to him or do we think he might drag it out to get more high major schools involved?

Next up would be Cady Lulane who came on his visit already and it supposedly went well, but the talk i have seen is that the biggest competition and maybe even the front runner is UMass. Wondering what the consensus thought on where he will wind up and our chances of us being that place. Georgia is also involved as there are with Bradley as well.

Last name talked about a lot lately here has been Basabe. He appears to be someone we are competing against "lower" level competition in that Sienna and Drexel are the only others listed as High Interest on scout.

Thanks for the responses in advance in terms of anything additional you can add to what i said and predictions obviously. Also any additional names like some that disappeared from earlier this summer like Kadeem Green i remember.

Siena's certainly talking up a storm about us.

http://sienahoops.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1970

Soup is right, they've got one more. They have Bradley coming in for a visit next weekend. He's a 4 star 6'10 center with offers from UConn and Boston College among others. He's their top priority. I hope Basabe realizes this and verbals to Fran during that Bradley visit as it's the same weekend Basabe will be at Siena.
Reco McCarter Commits to VCU- a 6'7" forward.. not sure if that takes VCU out of the Basabe running... but it cant hurt our chances
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1184
Rating of 91 on ESPN. Turned down offers from Georgia and Virginia Tech among others. George Mason and VCU are cleaning up on the recruiting trail. McCarter is a wing, so he and Basabe play different positions. If VCU has a scholly left, Basabe is still in play for them.

http://sienahoops.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1985&p=2
VCU has some bigger concerns... they just replaced a young up and coming coach with another up and coming coach who hasnt spent any more than 3 years at a given job. I would be concerned about coaching longevity at VCU if I were a recruit... not to mention who knows what the team/system will really look like as new coach, new players etc. VCU goes for 20+ this year and Sanders goes to the NBA... highly likely Smart thinks about moving on.
VCU had had a lot of success in recent years. Under Jeff Capel (now at Oklahoma), the Rams went 79-41 over four years and followed that with a 76-25 mark in three years under Anthony Grant (now at Alabama). Shaka Smart may be able to continue VCU's strong performance, but it should be noted that a lot of the posters on the VCU meassage board are wondering how long he will be there, perhaps because he has reportedly never been at one school for more than three years. VCU is his sixth position since graduating from college in 1999.

I agree that another coach has to be careful using that information. Presumably, Fran's indicating that he spent six years as head coach at UNCG and is in his fifth year here with a long-term contract and no plans to go anywhere would convey the appropriate message without having to say anything about Smart's history of moving.

they talk about us almost as much as Mason and ODU. :D

Is it basically Sienna or us for Basabe?

Drexel is also in the running, but I'd think he would pick VCU or Siena over Drexel. Both have much better basketball programs.

Color me confused -- with the McCarter signing, aren't we basically down to one available scholarship if Larry leaves and zero if he stays?

While I understand the fluidity of the scholarship situation, is there any way we can take Basabe and Bradley? That would leave us with 15 scholarship players next season if Larry stays, and Shaka would have to run off not one but two guys.

well i am of the belief that larry will be gone so i count us as having 1. i also think that one of our other players might leave because of the minute log jam we will have especially at the 1/2/3 spot so that would give us 2, but im not counting on the 2nd. The reason is that we have somewhat of a cram up this year but we are adding another 2 and another 3 some say 4 in mccarter without anyone leaving so minutes will only get tighter.

AG_fan said:
Color me confused -- with the McCarter signing, aren't we basically down to one available scholarship if Larry leaves and zero if he stays?

While I understand the fluidity of the scholarship situation, is there any way we can take Basabe and Bradley? That would leave us with 15 scholarship players next season if Larry stays, and Shaka would have to run off not one but two guys.

AG_fan, I believe you are correct. We are down to one scholarship to offer if Larry leaves. We have no other scholarships to offer if this is not the case. The sheer amount of guards on the team leads me to believe that someone will probably end up leaving the program. That is pure speculation. We'll see how it all pans out. Bradley is still coming in this weekend and if he wants to come to VCU, I have to think the coaching staff will make room for a 4 star 6'10 center. I don't think there is any scenario where we can get both Bradley and Basabe.

districtballer said:
I don't think there is any scenario where we can get both Bradley and Basabe.

Is this based just off the numbers or is it based off of a reason where you think we wont be able to land both?

Because I've heard rumours that two more guys might be coming in

Mercury said:
districtballer said:
I don't think there is any scenario where we can get both Bradley and Basabe.

Is this based just off the numbers or is it based off of a reason where you think we wont be able to land both?

Because I've heard rumours that two more guys might be coming in

Just based off the numbers Merc. If the rumors you're hearing are true, then we have to assume someone is transferring out. I hate to say this, but I'd think the only guy who might transfer is Ed.

DB or anyone else,
Are there any other recruiting targets that we are really involved with than those that i listed? I know we were in on Payne and he was likely to come here but i assume with McCarter that is not on the table anymore.

Anyone besides Larry on track to graduate early?

mwalvlior said:
DB or anyone else,
Are there any other recruiting targets that we are really involved with than those that i listed? I know we were in on Payne and he was likely to come here but i assume with McCarter that is not on the table anymore.

Lalanne, Bradley, Payne, and Basabe that I know of. Green was going to visit us at the beginning of the summer but I think things have cooled on that front. According to Justin Young, UMass is the frontrunner for Lalanne. Payne likes VCU a lot (we are his leader in fact), but with McCarter committing I don't think our offer is on the table anymore. Basabe already had his visit and is visiting Siena...and of course we all know about Bradley. His visit this weekend will likely be his last, depending on whether he goes to BC or not. Seems he's not too enthused about it...but it's the ACC so you never know.

would landing a player like bradley have an impact on cady's decision or we have no real idea as to why umass is the whisper leader? also, did drake run out of schollies yet, not that we care about that around here?

We'll still have Skeen for 2010-11. He's pretty friggin' big.

What about Donte Williams? Young said we were going after him hard 6'9 200

Back