recruiting is basically done..

I still think we should consider Chris Evans because of his skill set.

Let him know upfront that he will be on a short leash and that he will be expected to practice at a high level, keep his studies on course and be a team player (and anything else the coach can think of that applies to his growth). Tell if he fails at any of taskings he will be dropped from the team, as the scholarship is for one year at a time.

If he doesn't want to join a mature team under those circumstances, than tell him to take a hike.

So are we to let 2 schollies go to waste this year and just hold them until next year? Seems remarkably inefficient. I guess we wouldn't want to have a player for 4 years that we normally wouldn't take just to use the schollies up and have a full roster this season.

Say what you want to make yourself feel good, but we are royally screwed right now in the ballhandling department. The graduation of Maynor, the loss of JRod and Eblen, coupled with our inability to land Vilarino or a 2nd quality PG will cost us. I can't see us being projected in the top 4 teams next year based on the mess at PG. Even though we have some good parts, admittedly my excitement level about the squad is down a bit right now.

Rambunctious said:
So are we to let 2 schollies go to waste this year and just hold them until next year? Seems remarkably inefficient. I guess we wouldn't want to have a player for 4 years that we normally wouldn't take just to use the schollies up and have a full roster this season.

Say what you want to make yourself feel good, but we are royally screwed right now in the ballhandling department. The graduation of Maynor, the loss of JRod and Eblen, coupled with our inability to land Vilarino or a 2nd quality PG will cost us. I can't see us being projected in the top 4 teams next year based on the mess at PG. Even though we have some good parts, admittedly my excitement level about the squad is down a bit right now.

I will agree with this. We may have to temper expectations a bit.

Let's not get too excited. We don't play in the ACC.

I kind of like the idea of Brad at point in the half court. I trust his judgment and like his composure.

However, we still need a true 1

Just some wild thoughts for my first post:

1) Any chance at all after testing the waters that Eblen might re-sign with us? Not sure what other prrograms are breaking down his door, and what Coarch Smart's feelings are toward him.

2) Is Lance Kearse still on campus, and might he do better under a different coach, or has that ship sailed (or is that just a ship we don't want in our port).

I have some totally unfounded (as of yet) confidence that our new coaching staff will get us at least one more decent PG recruit before all is said and done, and I have 100% confidence that my fat a55 will be in a seat at the Siegel Center for all our home games watching a very solid VCU squad among the top 3 of the CAA next fall.

Go Rams!!

1) Any chance at all after testing the waters that Eblen might re-sign with us? Not sure what other prrograms are breaking down his door, and what Coarch Smart's feelings are toward him.

2) Is Lance Kearse still on campus, and might he do better under a different coach, or has that ship sailed (or is that just a ship we don't want in our port).

I think if Eblen wants to be with us, he would've kept his contract. The fact that he asked for a release probably means he's looking for other options, and VCU is probably on the bottom of the list. He'll probably find out who wants him and what they have to offer before deciding, but I don't see Eblen coming back and re-signing with us. It's not unheard of, but it's highly unlikely.

And as for Kearse... I don't know him personally, but I've read some articles about his departure. Apparently he has some kind of muscular degenerative condition and the whole thing he was going through apparently brought about conflict with him and Grant. So as for Kearse, I'm not quite sure....

not to turn this into a Lance Kearse discussion, but last time I checked, he physically can't play. A real disappointment to me personally because until about December of last year, I was sure that Kearse would be our starting SF for 09-10.

r4m said:
not to turn this into a Lance Kearse discussion, but last time I checked, he physically can't play. A real disappointment to me personally because until about December of last year, I was sure that Kearse would be our starting SF for 09-10.

I agree with this. I think the seriousness of his physical condition was overshadowed by his attitude towards the end, but the last I heard he didn't think that he would ever be able to play again.

Has anyone else seen the post on the "old boards" RE: GJ Vilarino by Jesco White that Larry received a call from B. Donovan asking him to give Shaka a chance to convince him not to transfer? Might simply be more trolling but does anyone have any reason to believe there's truth to the post? Thought we had put this to bed.

I think VCU has an outside chance at landing Eblen if he doesn't find a coach that fits his mold or if bigger schools don't show interest in him. I think Eblen will be the only recruit worth going after. We could give Gerard Smith a scholarship for a year and use him to backup if absolutely necessary.

Why would Billy Donovan call Larry Sanders? If you look at the poster (who I've never seen before) it was clearly an attempt to stir crap up. Keep in mind that other school's fans are loving our predicament at PG right now.

What I don't understand is if Smart is so personable and intelligent why is he 0 for 3 on PGs at this point. JRod transfers, Eblen decommits, Vilarino doesn't even visit us. I guess we are 1 for 4 if you count Theus. I get the situation was not his doing, but does he have the influencing skills we need at this level?

Rambunctious said:
Why would Billy Donovan call Larry Sanders? If you look at the poster (who I've never seen before) it was clearly an attempt to stir crap up. Keep in mind that other school's fans are loving our predicament at PG right now.

What I don't understand is if Smart is so personable and intelligent why is he 0 for 3 on PGs at this point. JRod transfers, Eblen decommits, Vilarino doesn't even visit us. I guess we are 1 for 4 if you count Theus. I get the situation was not his doing, but does he have the influencing skills we need at this level?

There is no substance to this rumor. First of all, other CAA coaches would have no idea what is going on internally with VCU basketball, especially something of this nature. Secondly, a Dub fan should probably be the last one talking at this point. :) Ahh the Zone...it still makes me laugh from time to time.

I would give Smart a break. He walked into a firestorm.

Eblen clearly wanted to play for Grant and when Grant was gone, it is no surprise Eblen moved on.

Vilarino picked a better program. No surprise.

Has Smart been given the benefit of a year of recruiting some kids? No. Lets reserve judgement on that until next year. Ithink he will do fine. We have a good staff, and good athletes coming back. I think we are going to be fine as we are.

I would like to see Sirin more than a PG.

edit...this was directed to rambunctious, not DB.

Back