recruiting is basically done..

Rambunctious said:
Why would Billy Donovan call Larry Sanders? If you look at the poster (who I've never seen before) it was clearly an attempt to stir crap up. Keep in mind that other school's fans are loving our predicament at PG right now.

What I don't understand is if Smart is so personable and intelligent why is he 0 for 3 on PGs at this point. JRod transfers, Eblen decommits, Vilarino doesn't even visit us. I guess we are 1 for 4 if you count Theus. I get the situation was not his doing, but does he have the influencing skills we need at this level?

I would be that concerned about it right now. Like 88 said, Eblen was a Grant guy, GJ was late recruit for Shaka, and Joey wouldn't have stayed for anyone except Grant. Don't forget that Coach was having to recruit Assistants the same time as he was trying to get players. I am excited about the Theus pickup. Especially after a high Maynor endorsement. SO, Coach should get credited with that. And while the pool is getting shallow out there, I totally expect for Coach to get it done. As of right now, Coach has done nothing but impress me. He won't let us down.

Yeah, I wouldn't put any of those 3 on Coach Smart. Using that logic you could blame him for Maynor not being around next year as well. You really don't know what happened with Eblen. If playing for AG was the reason that he was coming to VCU in the first place there may have been nothing that Coach Smart could have told him that would have made any difference. If Joey had not left Ben may have come on board, but that seemed to be the only other connection he had on the team. Joey may have just been looking for an excuse to get out of town, and AG leaving was the perfect one. Honestly I have a hard time believing that we ever had a chance with GJ assuming that Gonzaga offered (which they did and he quickly accepted). It is hard to go head to head with the Zags for a recruit in the first place. Much less one that is taking his family with him whose mother attended the school herself. At this point I feel like Coach Smart should only be judged based on his staff hires, players he recruited, and how he fills the remaining scholarships. We'll see how all that comes together in the next few weeks, and see how it translates on the court next season. From there we will have to wait and see if he is able to build the program. No reason to give up on the guy before he even gets started. heck by this time next year we could be CIT champions and everyone will be happy again.

Back