recruiting is basically done..

The ones left that we want are not coming to VCU.

SO...do the walkons get a scholly for one year or do you just throw a scholarship out there for a wayward JC with no home or a HS player that has been passed over?

Here's my thoughts...

I'd offer a scholarship to Sirin. If interested great, if not, I'd hold that scholarship for next year.

On a more important note, I think we must identify a true PG for next year. If the four year players that are left won't come to VCU, then I say we go after the best available JUCO PG. Nothing is wrong with this scenario. In fact, one of my all time favorite Rams was a JUCO...Bernard Hopkins. This would give us some experience at PG and help prepare Theus for the starting role down the road without throwing him into the fire his freshman year.

Sirin will not end up a Ram.

I think a JC would be ok - we have had some good ones.

We might just have to get a JUCO. We need experience at the point guard position.

so who are the best jucos available at the point?

Well, if coach Smart is going to have us playing the way that he has said, the need for a point guard will not be as great. I've been saying this to everyone for the past 6 months as people (other team's fans) have said we will be dead in the water without Eric.

Our offense has been set around Eric. We ran way more half-court than most expected, given the "94 feet, both ways" we saw in Grant's first year. You had the best point guard in the conference, maybe the country, so for sure you play to his strengths. So now that he is gone, and we have a new coach with big plays to run again, we might be in less of a need for a PG. A fastbreak is run by whoever gets the steal or whoever is in front of the pack.

If we score a lot of points off turnovers, like we did two years ago, we should be fine. Just have to play defense better.

So Shaka, that is your mission. Get these guys in shape and make us the fastest, toughest, most athletic defense on the east coast. Do that and the PG will only really be needed when we need to work time off the clock to protect our 20 point lead. :lol:

fmrick said:
Well, if coach Smart is going to have us playing the way that he has said, the need for a point guard will not be as great. I've been saying this to everyone for the past 6 months as people (other team's fans) have said we will be dead in the water without Eric.

Our offense has been set around Eric. We ran way more half-court than most expected, given the "94 feet, both ways" we saw in Grant's first year. You had the best point guard in the conference, maybe the country, so for sure you play to his strengths. So now that he is gone, and we have a new coach with big plays to run again, we might be in less of a need for a PG. A fastbreak is run by whoever gets the steal or whoever is in front of the pack.

If we score a lot of points off turnovers, like we did two years ago, we should be fine. Just have to play defense better.

So Shaka, that is your mission. Get these guys in shape and make us the fastest, toughest, most athletic defense on the east coast. Do that and the PG will only really be needed when we need to work time off the clock to protect our 20 point lead. :lol:

Humph. Good point...and all this time I was advocating for a second point guard cause I thought we needed two to run Shaka's system. :shock: You are right. I just feel better about having 2 point guards for depth purposes. Plus there are times we will have to operate out of a half-court set, and having a true point will be essential in those situations. By all indications, Theus more than fits the bill. Let's hope Shaka is as good at making his team what he wants them to be as he is talking about it.

Rico Pickett still would have beeen a good fit, but Manhatten took him. He is shown as an equal to a top 100 recruit in Hoopscoop.com. May have a little baggage, but has skills we do NOT have now.

Until I hear Coach Smart say recruiting is done, I'm gonna hold out hope that we're gonna get another player or two. Sirin may or may not be a Ram....but I'm sure there are quality players out there looking for a home.
I'm an optomist...

We still need another PG, so I hope recruiting is not done. If Theus breaks his leg or something during the season we will be dead where we are standing.

Jay Gavin, Darius Theus, Brandon Rozzell, Ed Nixon = PG by committee.

88RAM said:
Jay Gavin, Darius Theus, Brandon Rozzell, Ed Nixon = PG by committee.

LOL Ed Nixon can't even dribble without looking at the ground, Gavin doesn't have ball handling skills. If Theus goes down Rozzell will be the only thing we have that could even pretend to be a PG.

ramathon74 said:
Ndongo and Burgess are closer to PGs on that list, other than Theus.

That's what I've been thinking. Somebody wants to play, get working on your point guard skills.

Potential, from a great high school!

Phillip Green out of Dematha...
http://www.trupreps.com/FanPages/TRU/Pr ... b02b94c452

There are a lot of kids out there nobody has heard of.

Dominique Marshall out of FL
Stuart Clarke in DC
Derek Washington in DC

DB... what info do you have

The Green kid wants to be Pre-Med...VCU can help with that.

Back