Recruiting Recruiting strategy question

rambunctiousrowdyram

Elite Member
Serious question. It’s great we’re on the final lists of top 100-150 players. If we get one that’s awesome. However, is there any concern about focusing on these players too much and not grabbing any of them while missing out many other good players that aren’t getting the same attention?

Obviously if we get say 2 out of 5 top recruit we recruit it’s great but if it’s say 1 out of 6 we get a really high recruit would you focus on lesser touted players?

Serious question. It’s great we’re on the final lists of top 100-150 players. If we get one that’s awesome. However, is there any concern about focusing on these players too much and not grabbing any of them while missing out many other good players that aren’t getting the same attention?

Obviously if we get say 2 out of 5 top recruit we recruit it’s great but if it’s say 1 out of 6 we get a really high recruit would you focus on lesser touted players?

Good question. The answer is no. Based on the guys already scheduled to come on campus or have placed VCU. We are not placing all our eggs in the top 150 basket.

We have 2 positions to fill Guard and Wing

While we have been mention demary, green,, dilione, Jackson and Johnson.

The guys that are coming up for visits or have us of their finals are 3* guys with great offer lists (mike williams, cam estevez, Dylan James, Macaleab Rich) which is an indication that we are keeping an eye quality.. not how touted they are..

My fearless prediction

carnac-the-magnificent-johnny-carson.gif

We are going to sign a PG and a F who can shoot this cycle and wait to see if/how many new vacancies open up. No wing.

I think you are being blinded by ravenous VRN recruit followers who see one or two recruits they really like, get all giddy and spend months touting the recruit and luring other VRN members into their giddy party.

I think the strategy has been to identify players who would be a great fit for VCU and go after them early. Our coaching staff was on most of these players before they blew up to top 100 players.
After building great relationships with them and having a legit shot at them, I see no reason to back off because they blow up and some here think they may now be out of reach. We have been offering plenty of other player, many look really good (at least on highlight videos, which can be deceiving). So, we are going to get good players even if we miss on a few more top 100 guys. I suspect there will be at least one top 100 player in the recruiting class this year.

Fermin and Billups were rated 109 and 98 respectively (24/7).

I'm not worried about the staff being able to snag any of the top 150 guys they are looking at.

If you don’t seek out the best (within reason), your recruiting results become a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Y'all need to listen to how Adam Finkwelstein's describes approach to identifying and ranking.proscts in this interview which touches on Elmarkon Jackson.

To summarize, the 247 analysts follow the older prospects through out the year on a very general level then flesh out their assessments during live summer recruiting period. The problem is they are woahfiully understaffed (2 analyst to.cover 120 peach jam games). They assess a list of prospects already publicized first then network with the coaches to see who they are watching to get their write ups.

Suffice it say, @N Mollen has been right all along. The offer lists are the best measure for measuring a prospect over stars.

Y'all need to listen to how Adam Finkwelstein's describes approach to identifying and ranking.proscts in this interview which touches on Elmarkon Jackson.

To summarize, the 247 analysts follow the older prospects through out the year on a very general level then flesh out their assessments during live summer recruiting period. The problem is they are woahfiully understaffed (2 analyst to.cover 120 peach jam games). They assess a list of prospects already publicized first then network with the coaches to see who they are watching to get their write ups.

Suffice it say, @N Mollen has been right all along. The offer lists are the best measure for measuring a prospect over stars.

I'd wager the vast majority of recruits rankings and stars are based off their offers

I'd wager the vast majority of recruits rankings and stars are based off their offers
There are some glaring exceptions to this, when a 3 star guys has better offers than a lot of 4 stars, but generally I think this is true. When I see a guy with great offers, I am usually more convinced by that than stars.

There are some glaring exceptions to this, when a 3 star guys has better offers than a lot of 4 stars, but generally I think this is true. When I see a guy with great offers, I am usually more convinced by that than stars.
Always exceptions, and with the big dogs focusing mostly on poaching I mean buying i mean offering NIL packages to transferring players, freshman offers are gonna be more varied and harder to parse than ever.

Back