Recruiting Recruiting Sub-Forum? Please vote!

Should we create a sub-forum under Men's Basketball for recruiting?

• Yes

Votes: 72 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 51 41.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Other side of the coin. The heart and soul and success of a basketball program is its recruiting. So I see VCU Men's Basketball as the exact forum for posting these threads.

So what if I posted them...what difference does that make??? They are about current basketball recruits VCU are after NOW.
it's relevant. You're saying as if I violated some forum law here.

They are tracking threads that allow us to track prospects on an individual level. Some people here actually like the idea of being able to see this without wading through the recruiting thread...the mods on boneyard don't have a problem with it...see below...Watts, Lecque, Akok, Cockburn, Wahab, Achuiwe etc all have their own threads..

if you notice, your survey isn't a slam dunk: over 40% of the respondents don't have an issue with it...

None of this makes a difference. The bottom line is that it's your forum: do what you want.

upload_2018-8-17_10-48-23.png

upload_2018-8-17_10-48-38.png

upload_2018-8-17_10-49-5.png

if you notice, your survey isn't a slam dunk: over 40% of the respondents don't have an issue with it...
The majority of respondents do (so far), though.

I understand that you have good intentions with this whole thing but if your goal is actually to galvanize the community, it's going to be really hard to do when you won't take the community's feedback into account. People (both rudely and politely) expressed their problems with your approach from the very first thread and you basically just ignored them and told them you didn't care what they thought because the boneyard does it and you were just going to do what you wanted no matter what.

The solution being proposed, so far as I understand it, solves the issue of information being too difficult to find on the recruiting thread (which never really seemed like it was an issue until recently), and it also solves the issue of the flood of new threads. The downside? A few extra clicks. Seems like a fair compromise to me.

So.you want a main forum full of threads about topics vaguely related to VCU(vcu aND papa johns) instead of VCU basketball?
Those are rare, far and between. Your posts are constant, everyday and quite pointless. Just because we are on someone's top 38, doesn't mean they deserve a new thread. Similarly, we don't create a new thread for every 3 ever shot by a VCU player despite it being directly related to the program (probably more so than some random list).

I am of the belief that a new thread shouldn't be opened until a player has signed or publicly announced us as their landing spot. Until then, there is a recruiting thread stickied for rumors, random lists and tweets.

So what if I posted them...what difference does that make??? They are about current basketball recruits VCU are after NOW.

They are tracking threads that allow us to track prospects on an individual level. Some people here actually like the idea of being able to see this without wading through the recruiting thread...the mods on boneyard don't have a problem with it...see below...Watts, Lecque, Akok, Cockburn, Wahab, Achuiwe etc all have their own threads..

None of this makes a difference. The bottom line is that it's your forum: do what you want.

View attachment 6066

View attachment 6067

View attachment 6068
Go post at boneyard then. It's like saying, cops in a third world country don't mind taking bribes and we should do the same here.

Last edited:

View attachment 6066

View attachment 6067

View attachment 6068
Well, this isn't about the boneyard, it's about what our fan base wants. If a sub-forum were created with a link to it from the main VCU Men's Basketball forum, this problem would be easily solved and people on either side of this debate could be satisfied. You would still get to do your thing, and the people that want all of the recruiting news would still be able to get it with ONE extra click.

Look at it this way: Instead of clicking on the recruiting thread and sifting through it, now you could click a different link to a sub-forum and then see an individual thread for each kid. It doesn't make sense as to why you're spending so much time, emotion and energy fighting this, when the only difference between either side of this issue is literally ONE click of a link.

Because of your constant pushing of your posts up by posting random tweets or posts in them, we miss out on many other threads. You have diluted people's experience here. It's not fun seeing only the same type of posts on top of the front page everyday all the time.

For example, threads like below end up at the bottom of the page or second page.
News About RAMS in The Pros
2018-2019 Opponent Tracking
VCU's 2018-2019 schedule
2018-2019 Offseason
Former Recruits and Players
Season Tickets?
Threads about current players
VCU Media Mentions
This is the effect we have...
Mike Rhoades Show, Media Minutes & Pressers
Welcome to the 2019 Recruiting Class
etc
etc
etc

Because of your constant pushing of your posts up by posting random tweets or posts in them, we miss out on many other threads. You have diluted people's experience here. It's not fun seeing only the same type of posts on top of the front page everyday all the time.

For example, threads like below end up at the bottom of the page or second page.
News About RAMS in The Pros
2018-2019 Opponent Tracking
VCU's 2018-2019 schedule
2018-2019 Offseason
Former Recruits and Players
Season Tickets?
Threads about current players
VCU Media Mentions
This is the effect we have...
Mike Rhoades Show, Media Minutes & Pressers
Welcome to the 2019 Recruiting Class
etc
etc
etc
Are we really missing much in those threads this time of year? If people are checking this forum even just once a day I do not see how you can miss any big news in the above threads. I enjoy seeing what prospects we are making cut lists for and it hasn't diluted my experience at all. But sub forums seem like a solution to make everyone happy.

118 have voted. I wonder how many are illegal or dead? Why don't we have to show voter ID? Polls are so trustworthy.

It's a little crazy when half the front page of the MBB forum are your posts about recruits. I'm not for or against it, just saying I get why people are bothered, and why there's a movement to see about moving them somewhere else.
What else would you expect the front page to be devoted to in August? Even during the season, the recruiting threads really provide the only true information on the board. Would you rather see page one devoted to celtic guy's penetrating coaching analysis, complaints about who gets minutes and who doesn't and the-world-is-ending grief when we lose a game?

The quality and value of the board would be increased if there was more recruiting news, not less, and the more accessible the better. I am not saying we need a new 20-exclamation-point thread every time a recruit wears something black or gold, so I think a little discipline might be in order, but more recruiting threads would be infinitely preferable to more Havoc Haiku threads, more TBT threads, more FCUKING PEP BAND THREADS etc etc etc.

Any number of "solutions" exist.

1. Don't allow people to create more than one new thread per day.
  2. Don't allow poster to post consecutive post in the same thread. Require another user to make a post before a user is able to post again in the same thread
  3. Formulate the forum to be an infinite scroll instead of pages
  4. @duncanlamb can create multiple profiles so it doesn't look like he is the one "flooding” the board

And so on and so on

Seriously, just make the sub-forum and everybody gets what they want in some fashion. It's one extra click that takes roughly 0.4 seconds of your time...

Seriously, just make the sub-forum and everybody gets what they want in some fashion. It's one extra click that takes roughly 0.4 seconds of your time...
faster than waiting for a silly GIF to load for sure.

What else would you expect the front page to be devoted to in August? Even during the season, the recruiting threads really provide the only true information on the board. Would you rather see page one devoted to celtic guy's penetrating coaching analysis, complaints about who gets minutes and who doesn't and the-world-is-ending grief when we lose a game?

The quality and value of the board would be increased if there was more recruiting news, not less, and the more accessible the better. I am not saying we need a new 20-exclamation-point thread every time a recruit wears something black or gold, so I think a little discipline might be in order, but more recruiting threads would be infinitely preferable to more Havoc Haiku threads, more TBT threads, more FCUKING PEP BAND THREADS etc etc etc.

I seem to agree with you on almost everything you post here. Either you are just a swell guy or I'm messed up. :?

Back