Recruiting: Where is VCU?

These lists are a joke. Half the guys Mason recruited will not pan out and will be nothing more than role players.

VCU is right here in Richmond standing pat on the two guys that we needed. :lol:

I saw another list that had VCU at about 7 or so. Keep in mind this was with one month or so of recruiting so just give the man a full year and he'll blow everyone out of the water.

VCU is going to be a sleeper this year because of THE UNKNOWN FACTOR meaning having a new coach and the departure of Maynor....I relish the role in being the underdog because I think a lot of teams are going to be in for a rude awakining....Half the time those high profile rucruits don't even pan out. I am happy with the talent we already have and the talent that we have added. :ugeek: :ugeek:

what's being overlooked here is that in addition to the two HS guys signed, VCU has Gavin and Skeen coming. Getting Daniels and Theus, in the little window that Coach Smart had, was pretty darn strong IMO.
So while GMU had a great recruiting year by the numbers, We in effect added 4 guys, 2 of whom actually have had success at the D-I level. That is an intangible that cannot be ignored.
Plus we may have one to go....stay tuned...

heck, I think Smart should be given recruiting credit for Joey as well. Much like Grant should have been given recruiting credit for Maynor. Many people forget that when Capel resigned Eric's bags were packed and he was all but gone, until Coach Grant convinced him to stay.

major ram said:
what's being overlooked here is that in addition to the two HS guys signed, VCU has Gavin and Skeen coming. Getting Daniels and Theus, in the little window that Coach Smart had, was pretty darn strong IMO.
So while GMU had a great recruiting year by the numbers, We in effect added 4 guys, 2 of whom actually have had success at the D-I level. That is an intangible that cannot be ignored.
Plus we may have one to go....stay tuned...

are you guessing there is one more to go or do you know?, the suspense is killing me!

One thing I like about Coach Smart and staff is that they are recruiting within the state. VA has a large pool of talent in the high school ranks. For example, Travis McKie, who will unfortunately be attending Wake is very good. However, there are still great players in the area unsigned for 2010. The one I like the most is Justin Coleman out of Henrico High. He is probably 6'4" or 6'5" but he can play! Signing someone like Justin would be huge and definitely keep the momentum going.

Coleman transferred (from Louisa, I think) to Henrico last season and was outstanding, albeit as a "tweener," in the Warriors' strong playoff run.

An even brighter Henrico High prospect might be rising junior Trey Davis, the 6-3 son of former UR forward John Davis.

Davis is a blue-ribbon recruit. Recent VCU coaches have fared poorly with local prospects on this level.

The Henrico coach is Vance Harmon, the former Douglas Freeman High sensation (leading scorer in history of Henrico County schools), and among the few white players to compete for Virginia Union.

Davis aside, another top-o-the-line "local" prospect is 6-6 Michael Gbinjie (Bin-eh-J) of Christchurch. Gbinjie began his high-school career at Thomas Dale and there is speculation he may turn up at Benedictine this winter as a 19-year-old senior. Gbinjie is another with the 4-star label.

Recent VCU coaches have fared poorly with local prospects on this level.

probably because UR has been signing them and UVA getting the ones that get away from UR

bighorn said:
Coleman transferred (from Louisa, I think) to Henrico last season and was outstanding, albeit as a "tweener," in the Warriors' strong playoff run.

An even brighter Henrico High prospect might be rising junior Trey Davis, the 6-3 son of former UR forward John Davis.

Davis is a blue-ribbon recruit. Recent VCU coaches have fared poorly with local prospects on this level.

The Henrico coach is Vance Harmon, the former Douglas Freeman High sensation (leading scorer in history of Henrico County schools), and among the few white players to compete for Virginia Union.

Davis aside, another top-o-the-line "local" prospect is 6-6 Michael Gbinjie (Bin-eh-J) of Christchurch. Gbinjie began his high-school career at Thomas Dale and there is speculation he may turn up at Benedictine this winter as a 19-year-old senior. Gbinjie is another with the 4-star label.

Davis is the real deal. We would be doing well to get him.

I have no problem with our requiting outside of Virginia--I just want to get our share from within Virginia. I think Coach Smart will be good at doing both. One more note: George Mason is getting a lot milage out of their Final Four appearance. The press is "milking" every ounce from it. I will be glad when the well runs dry.

Back