RIP Debbie Owens

Anyone going to the Celebration of life for Debbie today at 3 pm?

We attended the service today. Her brother spoke of her love of VCU basketball, and there were lots of people wearing black and gold or VCU gear. The service ended with a video of The Peppas playing in her front yard in December. I will always remember her great smile and laugh.

We attended the service today. Her brother spoke of her love of VCU basketball, and there were lots of people wearing black and gold or VCU gear. The service ended with a video of The Peppas playing in her front yard in December. I will always remember her great smile and laugh.
Yeah i got there a little late, as I was coming from the WBB game... but there was certainly a lot of people there wearing VCU colors.

Also enjoyed all the stories we were sharing afterwards remembering her.

I found myself thinking of Debbie, who I never met, as the game ended last night. Rest in peace.
I know there's been several points the last 2 games (Richmond & Dayton).... where I found myself looking up to where her seats are/were whenever there was a big call / no call. Where I stand, I have a perfect view point of where her seats are/were.

Even through her battle... she was still loud and rowdy.

Will certainly miss her energy.

I know there's been several points the last 2 games (Richmond & Dayton).... where I found myself looking up to where her seats are/were whenever there was a big call / no call. Where I stand, I have a perfect view point of where her seats are/were.

Even through her battle... she was still loud and rowdy.

Will certainly miss her energy.
Does anyone have a photo of Debbie? Just want to know if I ever interacted with her unknowingly.

Debbie and I were extremely close friends. We met at VCU in the early 80's and she and I were pretty much always together at games from there on out. She and Steve became such close friends with FMRick and I. Her celebration of life yesterday was wonderful. Her mother had requested that everyone should/could wear black and gold and it just felt right to do. Her brother did a beautiful eulogy. Afterwards, there was a group of us VCU fans who sat together and told stories that dated back to the "old days" of VCU. What a lot of you don't know about Debbie is that she was a remarkable statistician. I could ask her at any given time, "Hey Debbie, remember that guy that played with us around 1995 or so and had that one great game. I don't remember his number but he nearly jumped out of the gym and on and on..... She would look at me for a second and then say oh his name was so and so and he wore number .. and he had like 6 steals and so and so points in that game with so and so in 1995. Never looked at a program or used a computer. I would just shake my head in wonder. She was a true friend and I miss her every time I walk into the Stu. Our table at the Commonwealth Room has now lost Big Dave Wills, Tim Wills and Debbie Owens. I know they are up there looking down on us at the games and cheering us on. May they rest in peace. VCU is more than a university, it is truly a family and I am so happy to be a part of it.

Back