Rolando Lamb and Jim Calhoun

Video was great until the very end when they mentioned out "sister school", UR :shock: :roll:

I was in the VCU underground (basement area of the "new" student union). They were showing the game on the big screen. They place went crazy when Ro hit that shot...FANtastic!

Our family was watching the game at home - I was a student then - and when Ro hit that shot, we all jumped up and screamed and I hit the floor so hard it shut our TV off. I remember having to wait like 30 seconds before it came back on again.

That was a wild day. Does anyone still have the clip from the newspaper showing the little smile on Ro's face as he released the ball - he knew it was all net.

VCUBeatsduke

One last tidbit - I remember Northeastern had shot like 60 or 70 percent from the field and I remember everyone saying that it was the highest percentage of shots made and the opposing team still lost.

VCUBeatsduke

Before 16,714 at the Meadowlands, Calhoun's Huskies were 33-for-44 overall, with Reggie Lewis 15-17 and Mark Hansel 9-12 ...

By contrast, Northeastern was just 3-9 at the foul line ... allowing for Lamb chops last-second heroics.

VCU was 33-53 from field, 4-8 from line. Michael Brown was 8-12, Mike Schlegel 8-10, Calvin Duncan 7-15 ... and Lamb 4-7.

Sad reminder: Since then, leading scorers Lewis and Schlegel have passed away.

The VCU-Northeastern game was played March 16, 1984. On March 15, 1985, VCU won another NCAA game over Marshall, 81-65, marking the Rams' fourth tournament win in a five-year stretch. There has been only one NCAA win in the 24 years since.

bighorn said:
Before 16,714 at the Meadowlands, Calhoun's Huskies were 33-for-44 overall, with Reggie Lewis 15-17 and Mark Hansel 9-12 ...

By contrast, Northeastern was just 3-9 at the foul line ... allowing for Lamb chops last-second heroics.

VCU was 33-53 from field, 4-8 from line. Michael Brown was 8-12, Mike Schlegel 8-10, Calvin Duncan 7-15 ... and Lamb 4-7.

Sad reminder: Since then, leading scorers Lewis and Schlegel have passed away.

The VCU-Northeastern game was played March 16, 1984. On March 15, 1985, VCU won another NCAA game over Marshall, 81-65, marking the Rams' fourth tournament win in a five-year stretch. There has been only one NCAA win in the 24 years since.

Bighorn, your knowledge of VCU basketball history is surpassed only by your wit and devilish good looks. You are the sole reason I read these boards.

A little update, Fred ... yes, I'm the most knowing, wittiest, smartest, absolutely most athletic (you forgot about that - anyone want to challenge in a 33-yard dash) ... but, I humbly concede, I'm not the best looking ... the handsome, square-jawed title goes to Ramathon.

Again, this is hilarious beyond words: someone cares about me a ga-zillion times more than I care about them. Please, keep it up. I may be in your head; I assure you, you're not in mine.

bighorn said:
Again, this is hilarious beyond words: someone cares about me a ga-zillion times more than I care about them. Please, keep it up. I may be in your head; I assure you, you're not in mine.

I nominate this for the (unofficial) unnecessary butthole post of the century award. Way to make this guy feel like he's a penny on the street that even the guy on the corner of Belvidere and Leigh begging for change won't pick up... Anyway, I wish I had been around during the days when VCU ewas the stomping grounds of greats like Schlegel and Lamb and Henderson Sr.

bighorn said:
A little update, Fred ... yes, I'm the most knowing, wittiest, smartest, absolutely most athletic (you forgot about that - anyone want to challenge in a 33-yard dash) ... but, I humbly concede, I'm not the best looking ... the handsome, square-jawed title goes to Ramathon.

Oh precious Bighorn, you are right on all accounts. You are unbelievably smart and athletic. None save Usain Bolt could outrun you in a 33 yard dash (and even that is arguable). However, I must insist that your devilish good looks surpass even those of our own Ramathon.

I am glad you enjoy my admiration of you. I thank you for acknowledging me as I have been a fan of your work for years. I truly hope RamNation considers hiring you as official VCU basketball historian. Your witty anecdotes flood my heart with joy every time I have the privilege of reading them. You are in my head always bighorn; I love you as I love myself.

Thanks for the fast-footed comparison, Fredhead; Actually, I like my chances vs. Bolt for the short length of a basketball floor ...

Long-legged Usain isn't that quick out of the blocks, and my speed is all about the take-off; it would be interesting. And, as always, any money changing hands, via wagers, would be directed to the VCU Athletic Department. That's always been the deal regarding the Bighorn Challenge. Bring on the Bolt of lightning!

It is true; your physical condition is exceptional, even for a 20 year old man, much less a man of your age. However do you think your new hip is up to the task?

I can almost hear the Bob Marley music booming in the faraway West Indies, from the swinging sands of Montego Bay ...

The Horn vs. Bolt; This match made in fast-lane heaven presents a chance-of-a-lifetime for some young entrepreneur. I visualize fans flocking - via plane, boat, even inner-tube - from as far off as Kingston and Ocho Rios to view this battle of wing-footed gazelles.

It's a made-to-order set-up ... The Stu is directly across from The Jamaica House (and also ABC store).

As part of this spicy Carib-to-River City package deal, merry-makers could chill out (Mista Chill is invited) at the Jamaica House (collecting Red Stripe, and who knows what else) during the day, stumble over to The Stu to witness THE RACE at halftime, then retreat into The Fan for a nigh-long Rasta party that none will ever forget.

What could go wrong? No problem, mon.

Bob, Usain and the Horn will leave you with this ...

"There was a buffalo solider, in the heart of America,
Stolen from Africa, brought to America,
Fighting on arrival,
Fighting for survival."

Rocksteady.

I was lucky enough to be at that game right behind the basket. I will never forget the excitement that that shot generated.

Back