Roles

Too often this year, some of our guys have gotten away from what they do best...whether it be a post guy too far out on the perimeter or a guard forcing low percentage shots. But last night, it looked like everybody played their part perfectly, and fullfileld their job descriptions about as well as anyone could ask.

Joey looked as quick as I've ever seen him last night. Looked like he had eyes in the back of his head... great floor vision. He had 2 or 3 bounce passes that looked like a rock skipping across water. Absolute rockets. Sure looked to me like he came into this game with his mind made up that he was going to make his teammates better and find the open man...and nobody was going to stop him. And he did just that. The term "assist" will never look more appropriate than last night, because a majority of those 3's were born from Joey finding the open man. Joey took only 4 shots last night, which to me is also no coincidence. He looked for his teammates first as opposed to trying to create or force his own shots. And the result last night was a thing of beauty. In our losses JRod's averaging approx 11 shots per game. In our wins he's averaging a shade over 7 shots per game. For me, this is also not a coincidence...as we're at our best when he's dropping dimes left and right, knocking down the occasional open shot, and creating havoc offensively with his speed. Just a fantastic great game for Joey. I'd sure like to see him adhere to last night's forumla from here on out. If he does, he'll continue to climb nationally among the nation's top assist men, and the team will be that much better because of it.

Last night Larry cleaned up under the glass. Lots of points on stick backs, and lots of dunks. All high percentage shots. Looked like a man among buys in the paint...beccause, in the paint, he is. That's his bread and butter. TJ did the same ...lots of put backs and some short jumpers from the lane. And that's TJ's game, and he played it flawlessly.

And while Larry's our stud, we're still a guard oriented team. Our strengths are in our perimeter guys, and last night we let those guys do their thing. Brandon, Jay, Daniels...all recruited to play the role of shooters, and all played the role perfectly last night. Joey got them the ball, and they knocked em down.

And Brad...he asserted himself last night. Asked for the ball, and got the ball. He didnt wait for big things to happen, he made big things happen.

As I've said, things are never as good as they feel after a high or as bad as they feel after a low. Towson's a bad team, and they were missing parts. But last night did show what this team can do when they play as a team and everyone plays within themselves and adheres to their strengths and their roles.

Solid post. I agree with everything you posted.

In fact MarcusNation and I were just talking about this last night. When our players play within their roles and do what the coaching staff tells them to do, we're a pretty darn good team. We were talking about this team facing off against the '06-'07 team and honestly thought that we have more firepower this year than that year. The only difference is that the '06-'07 team had senior leadership with a bunch of guys who knew their roles. I picked the 'dagger' team simply because everyone played within their role and the scheme that Grant set out for them. BA, JPR, Shu, Eric, Calvin Roland, Wil Fameni etc. were all team players and despite our lack of inside presence, made up for it with heart and dominant guard play. If this year's team can put it together and play within their roles, they would blow '06-'07 out of the water though, they have that much talent and firepower.

Granted, this was Towson and it looked like several D2 teams could have beat up on them last night. Someone on here reminded us that the last time we had a big blowout (UNCW) we went on to lose 2 in a row at Drexel and then at home to NU. Hopefully our guys remember that and continue their strong play. Georgia State always plays us tight despite the talent differential between the 2 teams for some reason. Let's take it to them this weekend.

districtballer said:
When our players play within their roles and do what the coaching staff tells them to do, we're a pretty darn good team.

I suppose I could have summarized it with this one sentence. Totally agree with you.

Any questions I've had about our coaching staff this year have revolved around not utilizing our players strengths, but rather requesting or allowing them to go outside of their strengths.

When everyone plays their part, we're explosive. Last night was the perfect example of this.

That's just like when people site that the NFL team with the most rushing yards usually wins the game. Well, if you have the lead you're going to run the ball more to milk the clock. Did you win because you ran the ball more, or did you run the ball more because you had the lead?

If players are hitting shots there no need for JRod to shoot much. If his teammates aren't hitting shots and the game is getting away from them, who is more likely to take shots...the guy with the ball in his hands.

Again, its too simplistic to say if JRod shoots less we have a better chance of winning.

4RunningRam said:
In our losses JRod's averaging approx 11 shots per game. In our wins he's averaging a shade over 7 shots per game. For me, this is also not a coincidence...as we're at our best when he's dropping dimes left and right, knocking down the occasional open shot, and creating havoc offensively with his speed.

Mistachill said:
If players are hitting shots there no need for JRod to shoot much. If his teammates aren't hitting shots and the game is getting away from them, who is more likely to take shots...the guy with the ball in his hands.

Again, its too simplistic to say if JRod shoots less we have a better chance of winning.

Right. Most of the time when we see Joey taking more shots than normal, it's because no one else is doing anything. Correlation does not equal causation. The causal arrow may point in the opposite direction.

Everyone is correct! We as a team need to carry the confidence that blew the roof of last night, and take that everywhere we go. We have all the parts. Last night was a function of them all working together.

We know the Rams are good enough to win it all. The Rams know they are good enough to win it all. Now they just have to go out and do it.

The inconsistency is maddening. :lol: This team is as stacked as I can remember...we need to play up to the talent that has been assembled. There may be teams that we don't match up well with (ie. Northeastern), but we have as much talent as anybody in the CAA if not more.

Mistachill said:
That's just like when people site that the NFL team with the most rushing yards usually wins the game. Well, if you have the lead you're going to run the ball more to milk the clock. Did you win because you ran the ball more, or did you run the ball more because you had the lead?

This argument is the only simplistic (and weak) thing in this post. Sorry.

Last night was more about Joey working harder to find the open man than them working harder to get open.

Sometimes said:
Mistachill said:

Right. Most of the time when we see Joey taking more shots than normal, it's because no one else is doing anything. Correlation does not equal causation. The causal arrow may point in the opposite direction.

Agree to disagree. I think specifically there is an exact correlation and heard the same from countless people associated with the department last night.

But let's not derail this into a pro joey vs anti joey thread. The guy played his role last night and was fantastic. I'm of the opinion that we're better when he shoots less and passes more. You're of another opinion. Leave it at that.

Our most complete game was probably the William and Mary game and JRod took 10 shots, second most on the team behind the 12 Larry took, and we beat a much better team than Towson by more than 20 points.

I certainly agree with the first couple points...as far as causation goes, you could easily substitute the words Trend/Proclivity/Tendency/etc

my point is, the trend for this season is that when Joey is on...we win (save for the 1st W&M and NEastern games). Our 3 worst losses inarguably are WMU, Drexel, and Northeastern II...in those 3 losses, Joey was 9-33 fg shooting, 2-17 3pt shooting, and took 0 FT's :shock:

I definately agree that this team is at it's best when everyone plays to their strengths (duh, I know)
If you'd have told me we'd be 14-5 with an RPI of 50 with 9 games to go back in March/April...I'd have thought you were high as a kite.

It's fine if guys make shots, but that's where your opposition comes in. We got more open looks last night than we have all season combined. The teams we've had trouble with are the ones that play physical, in your face perimeter D. We didn't see any of that last night except during some of the commercials during the Internet broadcast.

In addition, of the 11 threes made by Jay, Brandon and Daniels, 8 came in the last 7 minutes when we were already up 43. Big difference between that and a tight game on the road against a Northeastern or ODU. So far in our CAA losses, we've shot 25 of 76 from behind the arc. Hopefully those three guys can continue to make shots. All three were impressive (as was Brad of course) and we're going to need all three to contribute if we're going to win a Championship.

I was really impressed with Daniels (and I have been impressed with his shooting ability since the first time I saw him). He hit two of his three pointers in the first half and it wasn't an accident that Smart got him in the game early. He's big and physical and doesn't seem to have a problem getting off his shots.

I don't think we're a guard oriented team, but we do need to knock down outside shots to keep teams honest/off balance. Larry was pretty much flawless in the first half (15 pts., 11 rebounds and 2 blocks), only missing one shot. We had a 42 to 14 (28 to 6 in the first half) advantage in points in the paint and a 10-0 advantage in the first half on second chance points (18-2 for the game).

It was a great night. I knew Towson was in big trouble after we lost to NU on Saturday and they lost a tough one to GMU. I really expect all good nights at home from here on out. In fact, I expect the last CAA regular season game down in Norfolk to have a big impact in the standings.

Mistachill said:
Our most complete game was probably the William and Mary game and JRod took 10 shots, second most on the team behind the 12 Larry took, and we beat a much better team than Towson by more than 20 points.

Agreed - it was our best game, at least as far as CAA play is concerned.

Last night was about guys hitting shots. You can rake up a lot of assist when guys are hitting 60+% from the field and the three point line.

00Ram said:
Mistachill said:

This argument is the only simplistic (and weak) thing in this post. Sorry.

Last night was more about Joey working harder to find the open man than them working harder to get open.

Back