RTD: 3-point line may hold key in Tribe-VCU matchup

districtballer

Elite Member
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/s...etball/article/VCUN04_20091203-223202/309490/

The 3-point line may become a battleground when VCU (5-1) takes on surprising William and Mary (5-2) tomorrow in the Colonial Athletic Association opener for both teams.

The Tribe, picked to finish 10th, is shooting 41.3 percent on 3-pointers. It is taking 26.3 treys and making 10.9. William and Mary has had only one game this season where it has made less than 10.

VCU is limiting opponents to 16.9 percent shooting on 3-pointers. The Rams ranked third nationally in that category going into this week.

VCU's past three opponents are a combined 4 for 37 from behind the arc.

They also discuss Larry Sanders' 3-point shooting, unveiling the zone after playing man-to-man almost exclusively, and the review of Brandon's 3-pointer by the officials which was proper procedure.

Dude- Get it right. We are #1 in the nation in defending the 3. The numbers were there early yesterday, and a little research would have shown the real number.

Here let me help you:

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Virginia%20Commonwealth

Look at the bright green stat under Miscellaneous Components, 3P%, Defense. Or are the screens down at the RTD all green? (will anyone under 30 get that joke?)

or

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-baskbl/sta ... fense.html

The NCAA number was from "earlier in the week", and it we were #1 then as well. After the Wednesday game, in which we held URI to 13.1%, our number actually dropped to 16.9%. The kenpom.com numbers are complete through games Wednesday.

I'll be retiring in about 18 months if you need a researcher.

Didn't you get the memo? The RTD doesn't care about getting the facts right.

districtballer said:

I guess the rest of us are perfect. ;)

Yeah, we have been #1 since the Nevada game. Someone shoot them an e-mail so they can print a correction tomorrow.

fmrick said:
Or are the screens down at the RTD all green? (will anyone under 30 get that joke?).
I'm 22 and in kindergarten we used to play on those old green screen macs...but most people would probably think they are "going green" to be more environmentally friendly lol

ram4life said:
districtballer said:

I guess the rest of us are perfect. ;)

Ha. I'm certainly not, but then again I'm not publishing a paper that thousands of Richmonders read every day. :lol:

I don't think we played the 3 pt shot very well against R.I., I just think they were horribly off. I don't think it was necessarily our doing that they were off because I kept seeing us late guarding guys on the perimeter, especially when we were in the zone. This may not have been the case in other games but I was really worried about this watching the game Wednesday night.

I guess my point is in spite of what the stats say, we need to do a much better job defending the perimeter against W&M.

Mistachill said:
I don't think we played the 3 pt shot very well against R.I., I just think they were horribly off. I don't think it was necessarily our doing that they were off because I kept seeing us late guarding guys on the perimeter, especially when we were in the zone. This may not have been the case in other games but I was really worried about this watching the game Wednesday night.

I guess my point is in spite of what the stats say, we need to do a much better job defending the perimeter against W&M.
yeah I agree. Just overall defense I thought was done. I mean they shot over 50% which is not good. In past games though we did defend the 3 very well. I think this trend will only continue in the future with our "shu-clone" Rob Brandenburg and his 6'7" wing span.

I think it is the speed of the game. We did the same thing last year to a lot of teams. I knew how to beat us last year. All you had to do is force yourself to hold the ball for a three count once you got it safely past mid-court. That allowed you to take a breath and calm down, then you started to execute your offense. But we don't let people do that and they end up taking a bad shot earlier in the shot clock.

It is easier for create havoc than it is to control it. This is our advantage. Plus, you have to wonder if players who are used to a slower pace will be able to keep up for the entire 40 minutes. Tired players don't shoot as well.

Another number that jumped out at me is number of shots attempted. The have shot 368 vs 411 for opponents. At first blush it just looks like they shoot better because they won more games than lost. But looking deeper you have to ask why they had so many fewer shots. The answer is they turn the ball over a lot more, including giving up a lot more steals than opponents. They have given up 55 steals and only stole 29 times. That stat favors us big time.

We'll be fine, as long as we come to play.

fmrick said:
Tired players don't shoot as well.
I think this is a big part of our 3 point D as well. Even when we are not locking down on D our opponents are not use to being as tired at the end of games as they are after playing us.

vcu_dan said:
Mistachill said:

yeah I agree. Just overall defense I thought was done. I mean they shot over 50% which is not good. In past games though we did defend the 3 very well. I think this trend will only continue in the future with our "shu-clone" Rob Brandenburg and his 6'7" wing span.

I didn't really see it during the game. You could tell RI wanted to shoot the midrange and they were darn good at it. Perhaps it was coaching who defensively dared them to shoot the 3 and we played losely to stop the midrange shot. :?:

Will Martell also was killing us with the mid-range shots. He has a very nice touch for a 7-footer. Rhode Island was really great at getting to open spots on the floor and hitting uncontested mid-range jumpers. This game was an anomaly in a lot of ways though. Playing Rhode Island was like looking in the mirror. That was a very good team we beat. I honestly think they are better than their fans give them credit for. That is easily a top 5 A-10 team.

districtballer said:
Will Martell also was killing us with the mid-range shots. He has a very nice touch for a 7-footer. Rhode Island was really great at getting to open spots on the floor and hitting uncontested mid-range jumpers. This game was an anomaly in a lot of ways though. Playing Rhode Island was like looking in the mirror. That was a very good team we beat. I honestly think they are better than their fans give them credit for. That is easily a top 5 A-10 team.

Luke Babbit did the same thing...might be one of out weakspots

Back