RTD Basketball Notes Oct. 30th

whoa

Gavin could get some point time

Rodriguez will handle most of the point guard duties along with freshmen Issiah Grayson and Darius Theus, but Smart said shooting guard Jay Gavin may play some there as well.

Gavin, a sophomore, sat out last year after transferring from Marist, where he averaged 12.3 points.

"Jay has played some point guard in practice, and he's been pretty good," Smart said. "I really like Jay having an emphasis on putting the ball in the basket because he does that well. So I'm not sure how much we'll use him there, but he has been pretty good at times when he's been at that spot."

He must have really worked on his handles in the past two years...

Mercury said:
whoa

Gavin could get some point time

Rodriguez will handle most of the point guard duties along with freshmen Issiah Grayson and Darius Theus, but Smart said shooting guard Jay Gavin may play some there as well.

Gavin, a sophomore, sat out last year after transferring from Marist, where he averaged 12.3 points.

"Jay has played some point guard in practice, and he's been pretty good," Smart said. "I really like Jay having an emphasis on putting the ball in the basket because he does that well. So I'm not sure how much we'll use him there, but he has been pretty good at times when he's been at that spot."

He must have really worked on his handles in the past two years...

Loved that part...

Who started the "Gavin No Handle" thing anyway? Not to say that it wasn't true, but did this come of Marist posters based on his freshman season?

I assume the reason for experimenting with Gavin is that the other options haven't shown the ability to score consistently from the point position?

Didnt Brandon run a little point back at Highland Springs? Or was his version of point guard inbound me the ball take it down court and jack a three?

I think he would be a good option if we needed somebody who could pass and score....not sure what his passing is like though.

I remember late in games last year when Eric was on the bench Brandon would be running the point while Joey stayed at the two

Sounds like to me Gavin is bombing those 3s from the point also. Looks like PT is going to be very competitive.

Who started the "Gavin No Handle" thing anyway? Not to say that it wasn't true, but did this come of Marist posters based on his freshman season?

i've been wondering that myself. it seems that someone mentioned it on here a couple times, and everyone just sort of ran with it. we have to remember that he was only a freshman, and i'm sure whatever ball handling issues he may have had have improved for the better over the last year. i have a feeling he will be just fine with the ball in his hands.

buckwheat said:

i've been wondering that myself. it seems that someone mentioned it on here a couple times, and everyone just sort of ran with it. we have to remember that he was only a freshman, and i'm sure whatever ball handling issues he may have had have improved for the better over the last year. i have a feeling he will be just fine with the ball in his hands.

That report was from Marist fans initially when the word was out that he was transferring out of Marist. Great shooter, but one-dimensional. He went on a tear at the beginning of the year and then teams started to realize that he couldn't penetrate and create his own shot. He had trouble keeping up his dribble and holding on to the ball when driving to the whole. He still put up decent numbers but people knew how to contain him. Remember, this was 2 years ago now. He's had plenty of time to work on his handle. He will be a very nice piece for us.

Each time March rolls around people talk about guard play and post play.

Seems as though we're set on both fronts...

Back