RTD: VCU’s Burgess steps up, steps out of role

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/s...etball/article/VCUB12_20100111-222407/316962/
VCU’s Burgess steps up as he steps out of role

Bradford Burgess tends to blend during basketball games. He's the consummate team player, doing whatever it takes to help Virginia Commonwealth.

And when you look at the statistics at the end of the game, he's usually done a bit of everything.

That quiet efficiency seems to be part of his nature. Yet sometimes you see the kind of assertiveness the 6-5 sophomore guard/forward displayed last week, and you wonder about breaking out of his role more.

With a nudge from Rams assistant coach Mike Jones, Burgess turned in a pair of huge games last week.

*** Admin Note: Let's please cite our sources and not put entire articles on VCURamNation.com. Thanks. ***

Shaka: RTD Reader Comments

Some more serious dissatisfaction in thes comments from the RTD's site. Other than the misguided "play Brad at the point" suggestion, most of this is consistent with a lot of the commentary we've seen on these boards regarding some of Coach's decision making...

Coments on the RTD website underneath today's VCU game-day story:

MOD EDIT:
too much shaka .... too little smart.
game plan looks like helter skelter, something i’d see at a playground. likely to bail on overpriced season tickets. after paying exorbitant “licensing fees” we then see ticket giveaways almost weekly.

you’re rapidly losing this fan

more at link.

Re: Shaka: RTD Reader Comments

Bunch of backseat drivers.

Yeah, they were just as ridiculous and inaccurate as some of the stuff posted in this forum. I'm starting to wonder if they are phonies posing as VCU fans. When did we start charging "licensing fees" for tickets?

Some good points by the RTD posters and could probably work but how good is Burgess on perimeter defending? I don't think I have every seen him defend a guard.

"licensing fees" for tickets

Probably in reference to us the fan being able to buy VCU merchandise off campus plus the cost of package tix, etc.

You do have to wonder why we go small and get beat so bad on the boards though. Matching up will work!

If you buy game tickets online there is an order fee ($5 was the example I saw). Maybe they are talking about that? It would be nice to get Skeen and Sanders inside more together instead of counting on TJ and Burgess to do as much work in there. Burgess is OK inside but doesn't need to play more than half his minutes in the post. Also, the havoc philosophy does tend to make us look like we just roll playground style...hard to deny that it's often times sloppy.

I don't really care what we run or who plays at this point. We just need 3-4 Ws in a row.

Season tickets are about $12 each. Sure they have 3 or 4 games a season that you can get into for free, but you are also paying $12 for the Oklahoma, Richmond, ODU, Homecoming, and Bracketbuster games. You are still better off with the season tickets then getting the freebies and purchasing the others individually if you are planning on going to all of the games so I am not sure that they have much of a point there. You would also spend about 5 hours standing in the ticket line over the course of the season or pay additional fees online by going that route.

Mistachill said:
Yeah, they were just as ridiculous and inaccurate as some of the stuff posted in this forum. I'm starting to wonder if they are phonies posing as VCU fans. When did we start charging "licensing fees" for tickets?

They are equating the Donor program (Donate X amount of money to get season tickets in certain sections) to professional teams and seat liscences. Valid comparison.

VCU4LIFE said:
Mistachill said:

They are equating the Donor program (Donate X amount of money to get season tickets in certain sections) to professional teams and seat liscences. Valid comparison.

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this how it is for every self-respecting athletics program ?

VCU4LIFE said:
Mistachill said:

That doesn't have any thing to do with the free tickets then since the freebies are in the corners of the arena. You can purchase season tickets without donating any additional money.

Pavarotti said:
VCU4LIFE said:
Mistachill said:

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this how it is for every self-respecting athletics program ?
oh no u are right...at unc for example it cost like $100,000 to reserve the right to even buy season tickets. Obviously there tickets are higher in demand so they can do that.

more comments from past articles....

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/S...ticle/VCUB10_20100109-222403/316549/#comments

I have no idea why Smart is letting his big men make a mockery of him.

hey I agree with this one...
Once again, the RTD fails to post a box score for a VCU game. Interesting to me, UR (aka, the University of Connecticut at Richmond) plays in St. Louis and the game story includes a box score. VCU plays at home on the same day, and no box score. RTD get your act together, please.

And, yes, I do know that I can find the VCU box score elsewhere. But, that’s not the point.

Man. Is that true? No boxscore in the paper? No linescores for HS ball, too? That is weak. Their sportspage editor needs to go if that is what is needed.

Back