RTD: VCU fans routinely rattle the rafters

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Posts
18,209
Likes
21,792
Couple of attendance/atmosphere related articles in today's RTD.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sport ... 03/321178/

Sometimes during free throws or lulls, Virginia Commonwealth forward Larry Sanders will stand on the court and use those incredibly long arms of his to play conductor, urging the Siegel Center crowd to a full-throat roar.

CAA’s toughest arenas: Siegel Center ranks near, if not at, the top of the list?


http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sport ... 06/321060/

Where is the toughest place to play in the Colonial Athletic Association?

Virginia Commonwealth University's Siegel Center is considered among the toughest, along with Old Dominion and George Mason, and surprisingly, Northeastern, according to CAA coaches.
 
A little over 3 percent of the student body. Nothing to brag about. When there is large crowd, it does say a lot about the casual paying fan, freebies, and season ticket holders.
 
Absolutely, should increase towards the end of the season since the students are back in town now. They had a chart in the paper that said the average last year was about 1,300. I thought it would have been higher than that though.
 
Mike, compared to other colleges in the CAA, there is a lot to brag about. Come, join us and you will see the great support given by our students. You have got to be there to believe it.
 
as a 30 yr+ fan, I have pointed out the student section almost every game and comment how great it is to see the turnout ...still have room for improvement

Suggestion for tonight: Open the doors dont sweat the tix...
 
Those would just be students getting in via their student ID, though, right?

When I was a student I knew plenty of people (myself included) that preferred to pay for a seat because they didn't like sitting in the end-zones. I'm sure the actual number of "currently enrolled students" is much higher than that.
 
more specifically, honor reserved seats for those who show up, but let people fill in the stands
 
Gene,

I would have a hard time matching the passion that you have for VCU basketball.
 
Thanks, Mike, but you have a lot of passion for VCU also. Come show it at the games. We need you in attendance. P.S. Enjoyed your letter to the editor of RTDispatch.
 
mike7842 said:
A little over 3 percent of the student body. Nothing to brag about. When there is large crowd, it does say a lot about the casual paying fan, freebies, and season ticket holders.

It's more relevant to the number of student tickets allotted by the athletics department vs. the number of students that attend VCU. Your talking about a 7,500 seat arena. I doubt VCU has ever allotted more than 2,500 tickets to students at any given game.
 
Sometimes said:
Those would just be students getting in via their student ID, though, right?

When I was a student I knew plenty of people (myself included) that preferred to pay for a seat because they didn't like sitting in the end-zones. I'm sure the actual number of "currently enrolled students" is much higher than that.

When you were a student you could have sat on the sidelines
 
Mercury said:
Sometimes said:
Those would just be students getting in via their student ID, though, right?

When I was a student I knew plenty of people (myself included) that preferred to pay for a seat because they didn't like sitting in the end-zones. I'm sure the actual number of "currently enrolled students" is much higher than that.

When you were a student you could have sat on the sidelines

But that would have required showing up 2 hours early, which would really cut into drinking time!

Either way, my point is only that I'm sure there are more active students at the game than are being counted.
 
Back
Top