RTD VCU Notes - Sanders and Saintil

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/article/VCUN21_20090820-214401/287356/

Sanders damaged a door while horsing around at Ackell Residence Center on March 27, according to VCU Athletics Director Norwood Teague, speaking for university police. Teague said Sanders paid for the damage to the door, an amount that came to about $150.

The incident occurred on the same day Anthony Grant announced he was leaving VCU to become the coach at Alabama.

"I don't think it was in response to that," Teague said.

So anyone other than the Teague think it is a coincidence that Sanders broke the door the same day Grant said he was leaving? I thought Teague was smarter than that.

heck yeah it was in response to that. He'll be able to buy more than doors for VCU when he is in the NBA :D

Not that I'm about surpressing news, but there are a ton of other things the T-D could have reported on and they chose to dig up dirt on two broken door incidents? The T-D is quickly becoming less and less relevant.

Mistachill said:
Not that I'm about surpressing news, but there are a ton of other things the T-D could have reported on and they chose to dig up dirt on two broken door incidents? The T-D is quickly becoming less and less relevant.

I like how every time something like this is printed, there are people on here who just assume the TD should just look past this stuff and sweep it under the rug. It's not like they ran it on the front page of the paper. It's all a matter of public record. It's not like people have to "dig" for this stuff. It's a newspaper. It's their job.

Not that I'm about surpressing news...

Who said anything about sweeping anything under the rug?

Since the July 2nd VCU Notes two door breaking incidents is the focus of their VCU b-ball update? I have no problem with them reporting it, my problem is that's pretty much all they reported on (or it was their primary focus).

rollins77 said:
Mistachill said:

I like how every time something like this is printed, there are people on here who just assume the TD should just look past this stuff and sweep it under the rug. It's not like they ran it on the front page of the paper. It's all a matter of public record. It's not like people have to "dig" for this stuff. It's a newspaper. It's their job.

ramathon74 said:
So anyone other than the Teague think it is a coincidence that Sanders broke the door the same day Grant said he was leaving? I thought Teague was smarter than that.

They might have been horsing around, but even if Teague knows that Larry broke the door because Grant left. It wouldn't make any sense for him to come out and accept it. Rather have Larry playing the goofy college kid role then the big angry guy with the short temper role

rollins77 said:
It's a newspaper. It's their job.

Since when has anyone at the RTD cared about actually doing their job? :lol:

Hilarious! What a joke the RTD is. You would never hear anything like this from U of R

eh, if the A.D. says it in a statement, I can't really blame the paper for reporting it... the question is, did the AD just release the info and the paper pick it up, or did the RTD actually dig for it?

If they dug for it, then I'd question whether or not they're expending their energy objectively... they shouldn't hide the bad, but neither should they ignore the good.

artRAMinMN said:
eh, if the A.D. says it in a statement, I can't really blame the paper for reporting it... the question is, did the AD just release the info and the paper pick it up, or did the RTD actually dig for it?

If they dug for it, then I'd question whether or not they're expending their energy objectively... they shouldn't hide the bad, but neither should they ignore the good.

Who knows how they found out but my guess is somebody in the court house saw his name come up since the case is coming near and passed the info on to somebody in the RTD

Mercury said:
artRAMinMN said:

Who knows how they found out but my guess is somebody in the court house saw his name come up since the case is coming near and passed the info on to somebody in the RTD

I guess what I'm getting at, is did the info come to them? or did they go looking for it?

if it came to them... whether through official or unofficial channels... then it isn't unreasonable to expect them to report it... the question would be whether they would also print positive news that happened to come to them ...passive/objective vs. passive/biased

digging for it is certainly ok too, but again, it's a question of whether they dig for the good with the bad... active/objective vs. active/biased

I don't see anything here in this particular instance that's an obvious sign that they're out to get us or anything, but I do think their past history is such that it's not paranoid to second guess a little bit

The RTD is a dying outpost of a dying industry. They have laid off tons of talented writers in the past few years. Where do you go for the latest information about anything?

Beyond that, the T-D has never been a rah-rah kind of paper about any local sports...nothing like the Courier-Journal in Louisville for example where any tidbit about U of L basketball is worthy of front page large article treatment.

Re: VCU presses charges against Larry Sanders

Way to go VCU...

Take your biggest marketing tool to court...

Way to go...

Re: VCU presses charges against Larry Sanders

Already a thread on this..wonder if that site will get the same hate the RTD got

Back