SANDERS NAMED TO PRESEASON WOODEN AWARD TOP 50 LIST

xjohnx

Original Gangster
Elite Member
SANDERS NAMED TO PRESEASON WOODEN AWARD TOP 50 LIST

LOS ANGELES, Calif. – In just five quick seasons, junior Larry Sanders (Port St. Lucie, Fla.) of the Virginia Commonwealth University men’s basketball team has gone from a basketball newbie to one of the top players in the country.

His status as one of those top players was solidified on Wednesday when he was named to the 2009-10 Preseason John Wooden Award Top-50. He was the only player from the Colonial Athletic Association on the list.

In just two seasons with the Black & Gold, Sanders has been a menace for the opposition, on both the offensive and defensive sides of the court.

He already ranks third in school history with 187 blocks and is on pace to become only the third men’s basketball player ever to score 1,000 points and grab 1,000 rebounds.

Sanders used a record-breaking 18-point, 20-rebound performance in the CAA Championship game to gain national recognition.

This summer, Sanders took his status on the national stage to a new level with outstanding performances at both the Amar'e Stoudemire Camp and the LeBron James Basketball Academy.

Sanders and his teammates open up the 2009-10 campaign with a Nov. 5th exhibition contest against intra-city rival, Virginia Union.

Thats good and all, just hope his play this season equals the hype he has been getting

3 years in a row VCU has put somebody on the top 50 list?

Nice nod, not that it matters later, the big schools get all the hype. But any attention in a positive way is great for Larrold and the program.

Larry is the best.

This must kill those ODU knuckleheads.

This must kill those ODU knuckleheads.

I think they are happy with the pub their stud is getting...I think I read that he sat the bench for the Finnish team ( international power house no doubt) and hurt his elbow throwing towels to them as they left the floor, but he looked good in practice...so they have that going for 'em ;)

Back