Shaka Smart "Coach's Corner"

Great move by Shaka and the AD - - it's savvy to find new ways to engage the fans. It will probably be mostly students that attend since a lot of adults have difficulty leaving their families on weeknights to hang out in the fan and talk BBall. I can't make it, but I'd love to hear a recap of how things go!

xjohnx said:
vcu_dan said:
FYI...this is SRAF members, not the entire world. I would assume they are going to be checking sraf cards but I'm not sure.

Tonight at 7:30 p.m., VCU Athletics presents its first ever “Coaches Corner” at the VCU Chili’s on the corner of Cary and Belvidere Streets. Coach Smart will host students and fans alike in a one-hour question and answer session.

I got an email invite and I am not a sraf card carrying member (whatever that is).

Turns out we like the same bourbon. Ha. :lol:

I too couldn't make it. Would love to hear from someone would did.

Sometimes said:
MarcusNation said:
You don't like the bourbon I drink.

Dude, I drink ALL bourbon. You know that.

If you drink PBR you will drink anything. Sterno, Mickeys, Red Rocket, MD 20-20, antifreeze, moonshine, terpin hydrate elixir.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

This was a great event, I hope it occurs again.
Some highlights:
-We are looking to schedule a BCS team from Florida next year, Coach said it was 99% a done deal. This game would be so Joey, Larry, and Ed could play in their homestate
-He also confirmed the preseason NIT next year and said scheduling would be difficult for next year because a lot of the games were scheduled in advance. He said he'd be looking to schedule tough teams for his 3rd year here and beyone :D 8-)
-Coach talked about Reco and Rob. Said they could come in early and contribute, was very impressed by both of them. Rob's team is 20-0 and ranked second in Ohio, Coach said he loves his leadership and Rob is putting up great stats. As for Reco, he actually referenced a youtube video when asked a question about him, which I thought was funny. Said Reco visited Georgia and Oklahoma before picking VCU. Reco is the best suited for Shaka's style of play especially for the press (even considering who we have on the team now). Said he could finish above the rim. Mike Jones watched him play tonight
-Coach said we don't really go head to head with CAA Schools when going for recruits.
-Talked about how big of an impact the fans have on recruits during the games.
-Said Larry would make the best decision possible for himself and his family and Shaka wants nothing but that
-Talked about some of our rivalries and how he hopes to continue his success against ODU and Richmond
-Spoke of the struggles against Northeastern
-He also mentioned the importance of being a Life coach to his players
-Stated joey could be our MVP and how Ed is the suprise player of the year and could very well be the CAA Defensive player of the year

Sounds incredible! Thanks for the recap. Hard not to be excited about the future of VCU Basketball!!!!

Good update - thx.

So Florida, FSU, Miami, or South Florida? Did I miss any BCS schools in Florida?

So what the list of BCS schools in Florida includes:

Florida
Florida State
Miami
South Florida

Is this what we consider BCS schools?

VCUsummerof69 said:
-Stated joey could be our MVP and how Ed is the surprise player of the year and could very well be the CAA Defensive player of the year
Two favorite parts of the night Joey and Ed have been great all year. I asked after about coaching gem Dave Bliss and Shaka had many great things to say about the man, basically saying he could go as far as he wants in coaching good to hear as well, I loved watching Georgia make that run with Bliss and Sundiata Gaines.

Yes thats right although currently we have a better rpi than both south florida and miami so a win over either wouldn't have boosted our rpi that much if you go by this year. you gotta beat a top 20 team to really get an rpi boost like ODU did by winning at georgetown. A game at florida state would be much better rpi wise. I doubt we would play at florida but who knows ? We used to play south florida in the old sun belt. I hardly consider them a 'bcs school' since they have only been division one football for a few years but i guess if you are in the big east you are considered a bcs school. I don't really like that term used for basketball but i guess they can't come up with anything better. FWIW - south florida is 9-4 at home this year. miami is 10-2. Florida is 12-3 at home and FSU is 12-2...tough to win at those places !

Gotta check out who they've played at home. Miami has a couple of nice home wins but look at some of those other teams they've played at home out of conference: NC Central, Fla Gulf Coast, South Carolina-Upstate, South Carolina State, Bethune-Cookman, NC A&T. :shock:

wavevcu said:
Yes thats right although currently we have a better rpi than both south florida and miami so a win over either wouldn't have boosted our rpi that much if you go by this year. you gotta beat a top 20 team to really get an rpi boost like ODU did by winning at georgetown. A game at florida state would be much better rpi wise. I doubt we would play at florida but who knows ? We used to play south florida in the old sun belt. I hardly consider them a 'bcs school' since they have only been division one football for a few years but i guess if you are in the big east you are considered a bcs school. I don't really like that term used for basketball but i guess they can't come up with anything better. FWIW - south florida is 9-4 at home this year. miami is 10-2. Florida is 12-3 at home and FSU is 12-2...tough to win at those places !

Rambunctious said:
Good update - thx.

So Florida, FSU, Miami, or South Florida? Did I miss any BCS schools in Florida?

Probably USF if I had to guess. Stan Heath was at Kent State when they went to the Elite 8. Perhaps Shaka is familiar with him from his days at Akron and is working out a game.

Back