Shot Selection, Toughness, and other random thoughts...

TJ is a tough character but they had him inside guarding Adako during many sets at leats in the first half. He's as tough as they come but didn't have the size to keep Adako from driving 5 or 6 feet closer to the hoop and increasing his shooting percentage. When an opposing interior player starts lighting it up like that we need to put Saintil and/or the Hammer on them and pound em into submission and outta sync.

Blackmagic804 said:
Larry should take a simple lesson from Adako, just turn and bank it off the glass all night long. It's was that simple for him.
It was that simple for him because he has one of the best baby hooks I have ever seen. Some players just never miss this shot and one of them is Manny Adako. The best way to stop it is to get physical with him and not let him catch it where he wants to. Last night, neither of those happened.

vcubanana said:
Blackmagic804 said:
Larry should take a simple lesson from Adako, just turn and bank it off the glass all night long. It's was that simple for him.
It was that simple for him because he has one of the best baby hooks I have ever seen. Some players just never miss this shot and one of them is Manny Adako. The best way to stop it is to get physical with him and not let him catch it where he wants to. Last night, neither of those happened.

Banana, do you really expect Larry to get physical?

D-Hoesevelt said:
vcubanana said:
Blackmagic804 said:

He certainly can, but hasn't showed it yet so far this season.

vcubanana said:
D-Hoesevelt said:

Why is that on Larry to do?? Throw Skeen, Saintil and Kirill at him - that's 15 fouls and a whole lotta muscle over the course of a game!!!

VCU4LIFE said:
vcubanana said:
D-Hoesevelt said:

Why is that on Larry to do?? Throw Skeen, Saintil and Kirill at him - that's 15 fouls and a whole lotta muscle over the course of a game!!!

Because Larry is the Starter, "Leader", and one of the most athletic player on the team. It's on Larry to be physical.

I'm with Mistachill, if the crowd lost he game then we won't win any away games-that is just another lame damm excuse-its BS totally

VCU4LIFE said:
vcubanana said:
D-Hoesevelt said:

Last time I checked Larry is our starting center. But hey, who am I to expect our starting center, or any big man on the roster, to play tough down low?

VCU4LIFE said:
vcubanana said:
D-Hoesevelt said:

Maybe because he was the DPOY

One of the most physical players we have on this team is Kirill and Smart has pretty much buried him on the bench. Kirill sould have had the opportunity to get his 5 fouls against Northeastern last night. Maybe him being physical would have changed the tone of the game some. This guy started last year and now gets less playing time than Saintil. Go figure. Saintil is all about himself and is an absolute offensive liability. Yes, he made some point balnk shots last night, but also missed several at point blank range.

For me this a defining moment in Coach Smart's coaching ability. This team is spinning out of control with absolutely no dicipline and he and the coaching staff need to gain control ASAP. And, yes, it starts with Larry coming out of the locker room wearing a VCU jersey. Even Nixon was sitting on the bench during intros last night without his jersey on. Coach Smart needs to start walking the post game interview talk he's giving to Mike Elis and the press after every game. Over half of this team has had a ton of success at VCU in the past 2-3 years and I fear they now think that success is automatic. Grant was a diciplinarian and Capel was also to somewhat of a lesser degree. Shaka trying to be the players' coach is not going to work.

Regarding last night's game, after VCU went on a 20-4 run in the first half Coach Smart started in with mass substitutions. My son looked at me and said "Why is Coach Smart killing VCU's momentum with all of these substitutions?" I would like the answer to that question myself. VCU lost the momentum with those substitutions and the lead disapeared. We don't need another Blaine Taylor regarding substitution patterns. As many on these boards have said, Skeen should be getting at least 30 minutes per game. So should Sanders. Rozell is another player who sould be getting more minutes. He's the best shooter on the team. I would like to know if there is any corelation to VCU blowing double digit leads and Coach Smart's substitution patterns.

vcu70 said:
I'm with Mistachill, if the crowd lost he game then we won't win any away games-that is just another lame damm excuse-its BS totally

I agree totally with both of you. If VCU can only win whn they are at home and the crowd is loud and in to the game, then this team is not nearly as good as many are predicting. So much for predicting VCU won't lose another game until they have 20 wins. The kool-aide some were drinking must have been pretty strong this year!!! :?

Wolfpack Ram said:
Over half of this team has had a ton of success at VCU in the past 2-3 years and I fear they now think that success is automatic. .

I agree, it seems like they dont care at this point and they think they can turn it on later on the season (which they should be able to do). Much like NBA teams do early in the season before the playoff push, they just put it on cruise control. I hope Coach Smart can create some type of urgency starting tomorrow night in Philly. Light the fire underneath them.

Wolfpack Ram said:
One of the most physical players we have on this team is Kirill and Smart has pretty much buried him on the bench. Kirill sould have had the opportunity to get his 5 fouls against Northeastern last night. Maybe him being physical would have changed the tone of the game some. This guy started last year and now gets less playing time than Saintil. Go figure. Saintil is all about himself and is an absolute offensive liability. Yes, he made some point balnk shots last night, but also missed several at point blank range.

For me this a defining moment in Coach Smart's coaching ability. This team is spinning out of control with absolutely no dicipline and he and the coaching staff need to gain control ASAP. And, yes, it starts with Larry coming out of the locker room wearing a VCU jersey. Even Nixon was sitting on the bench during intros last night without his jersey on. Coach Smart needs to start walking the post game interview talk he's giving to Mike Elis and the press after every game. Over half of this team has had a ton of success at VCU in the past 2-3 years and I fear they now think that success is automatic. Grant was a diciplinarian and Capel was also to somewhat of a lesser degree. Shaka trying to be the players' coach is not going to work.

Regarding last night's game, after VCU went on a 20-4 run in the first half Coach Smart started in with mass substitutions. My son looked at me and said "Why is Coach Smart killing VCU's momentum with all of these substitutions?" I would like the answer to that question myself. VCU lost the momentum with those substitutions and the lead disapeared. We don't need another Blaine Taylor regarding substitution patterns. As many on these boards have said, Skeen should be getting at least 30 minutes per game. So should Sanders. Rozell is another player who sould be getting more minutes. He's the best shooter on the team. I would like to know if there is any corelation to VCU blowing double digit leads and Coach Smart's substitution patterns.

THIS ! I wish someone would ask Coach during an interview. "Coach, your team looks undisciplined and out of control at times - - like they are playing street ball. How do you respond to this criticism?" I would honestly love to hear his response. Maybe he is preaching control/discipline and the team is not listening. Or maybe he likes the way we've been playing. It's hard to know what is really going on unless someone asks him.

Rambunctious said:
THIS ! I wish someone would ask Coach during an interview. "Coach, your team looks undisciplined and out of control at times - - like they are playing street ball. How do you respond to this criticism?" I would honestly love to hear his response. Maybe he is preaching control/discipline and the team is not listening. Or maybe he likes the way we've been playing. It's hard to know what is really going on unless someone asks him.

He is having his first radio show on Thursday why don't you call up and ask him?

If they lose to Drexel tomorrow night, Coach Smart might want the bus to break down on the trip back so that he misses the first call-in show. :P

Back