Shot Selection, Toughness, and other random thoughts...

Rambob

Insider
At half time, I was laying the difference on four ill advised shots by the Rams, a Larry 3, a TJ 3, a Gavin forced 3 and a Gavin forced 2. Give us those four possessions back and maybe we convert two of them, we're up at least 7 at half instead of 3. Then we come out the second half and get even worse on shot selection/selfish play. The only positive I think may have come when most of the SC booed Larry for taking that last 3 when we were down one. Maybe he will listen to the fans, because he obviously is not listening to anyone else with knowledge of the game.

Northeastern took it to us most of the game in terms of mental and particularly physical toughness. That just cannot be allowed in our house and yet they have done it two years in a row. We began to respond in the last six minutes, but it was too little too late.

Message to Larry: You are a center. Centers belong mostly in the paint. Get your a** in the paint and start playing like a center; post up, catch the pass, take it hard to the hoop, crash the boards.

Another message to Larry: Forget about the NBA, you are not outplaying centers/power forwards at the mid-major level. What do you think it will be like going up against NBA bigs night in and night out for a hundred and some odd games? Focus on making the Rams the best they can be this year and stay for your Senior season to bulk up, learn the game more thoroughly and truly become a first rounder.

Northeastern, congrats on a well conceived and well executed game plan.

As I said before, I no longer see why Jay gets any minutes. I like the kid a ton and root for him but it's just silly some of the things he does. I hope he can break out of his funk.

A serious message needs to be sent to Larry other than "don't shoot too many threes in the game." Coach needs to show him that just because he's getting NBA looks doesn't mean he's above the team. He should sit his a$$ on the bench for the first five minutes of the game. When he goes to check in the game, Coach Smart should get in his face and tell him if he takes a three then he's out of the game.

NickGeorge21VCU said:
When he goes to check in the game, Coach Smart should get in his face
Won't happen, not Shaka's style...He's more of a buddy than a discipline figure.

What worries me is that VCU gets beaten when other teams get physical with them. I can't understand if this team is hesitant to get physical or if they just won't. I watch our women's team knock the other team around all game but our men's team lets players push them around. The men's team needs fouls from other teams playing physical while the women's can play fine with or without fouls.

vcubanana said:
NickGeorge21VCU said:
When he goes to check in the game, Coach Smart should get in his face
Won't happen, not Shaka's style...He's more of a buddy than a discipline figure.

This, I think Larry would laugh if Smart tried to get in his face

Wow RRR, I completely agree with you! This has been the biggest frustration with Larry if you ask me. He plays too much as if he doesn't want to get called for fouls and instead watches people blow by for uncontested layups and watches other guys fight for rebounds wayyyy too much of the time....

Mercury said:
vcubanana said:

This, I think Larry would laugh if Smart tried to get in his face
It's plain to see who's team this is when things go bad, and if we want a championship Shaka needs to thrust himself on to these students and show the coach he can be. Peer figure works when things are going well, but sometimes you need to be "that force" that drives the team.

I want Larry practicing in ankle weights ...heavy ones

I want the Hammer to guard Larry in practice, and I want him allowed to get kinda rough about it

I want the starters/main team to have to play 5 against 6 in practice

I want any silly short shot clock used in practice thrown out

I want our bigs to dare the refs to call 3 second violations ...it's like they're closer to getting back-court violations half the time

All good points on this thread, I have to say I agree with the majority of these comments so I won't repeat.

Message to Larry: You are a center. Centers belong mostly in the paint. Get your a** in the paint and start playing like a center; post up, catch the pass, take it hard to the hoop, crash the boards.

and no more lame fade away crap from 5-8 ft either. Post up deep and make your man pay. And Larry, your 3 attempt with about 5 1/2 minutes left was a rally breaker. I put that on the coaches to fix.

For me, after 20 minutes I was pretty sure this was a loss. Uninspired and poor decision-making against a very good NE team regardless of their record.

Mark this one down as a critical game that influences our outcome this year. I don't think we come out of Philly with a W, but I hope I'm wrong.

Skeen deserves more minutes....

I agree on Larry. Shoot a 3 or a fade away you get a nice seat on the bench because you are hurting your team. As much as I like TJ, Skeen needs to be starting and this team needs to learn to run the offense through him in the post and stop settling for 3's. For skeen to have 3 shot attempts in 20 min tonight is ridiculous when saintil has 6 in 10 min. Skeen should be seeing more like 28-30 min and getting 10+ shots. I also think this rotation needs to be shortened to maybe 8 guys. One of the only times i saw larry go in the post in the half court when when Skeen caught it at the high post and waved him down there and he got an easy layup. Learn to play as what you are and that goes for everyone.

Larry, Skeen, TJ, Brad, Ed, B-Rozz, Joey with Theus or Saintil being the 8th if there is foul trouble.

I've been saying this all along about Larry.

Agressiveness. That's what's missing. Yea he gets a monster slam on the break here and there, but he can't post up and exhert his will on players yet. He can't knock opponents out of position and pound the boards on a consistent basis.

Sanders has all the physical tools necessary to be a top 10 pick in the draft. However he needs to change mentally. He needs to become a bruiser and straight out physical in the paint. Once he does that consistently he will be averaging 18ppg and 13 rebounds daily.

However one thing I didn't see coming is Burgess's play thus far this year. Talk about a sophmore slump :(

Both of our Sophomores are in massive slumps. Almost as if, Brad is hesitant to shoot, and Jay just can't wait to shoot.

Back