SlamOnline: Reddic has a chance to follow Sanders and Maynor

districtballer

Elite Member
http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/high-school/2010/03/in-hoops-we-trust/

Juvonte Reddic | 6-9 | PF/C | Quality Education (NC) | 2010

VCU struck gold twice with NBA (or NBA bound) players in Eric Maynor and Larry Sanders. Both were relatively unheralded players who had holes in their game, but had nice amounts of upside. Reddic has a chance to find himself in that class one day, if he continues to build upon the considerable potential he has. The recent VCU commit has the ideal size, length and athleticism you look for a big. Throw in the blossoming offensive skills he’s developing and you see why programs such as Maryland and Oklahoma offered him a scholly. The Carolina native is still rough around the edges and has a long ways to go before he’s in same breath as his VCU counterparts, but the raw potential is definitely there for him to be there one day.

While that is a TON of pressure...it's nice to see that publications like Slam really like Juvonte's game. It will be fun to watch him, DJ and Reco form the frontcourt of the future next year. They get a senior Jamie Skeen to show em the ropes and then the floor is all theirs.

When these really gifted kids get to RamNation land and attend classes, and matriculate; that is when the magic happens. VCU Men's basketball is just a bonus!

Wow, great stuff. If Larry goes in the first round this year as expected we could get some scary good recruits in the class of 2011 based on how the staff has done with the 2010 class. This is going to be a very exciting summer on the recruiting trail. Can't wait to see these guys in action next November.

VCU Finance 2008 said:
Wow, great stuff. If Larry goes in the first round this year as expected we could get some scary good recruits in the class of 2011 based on how the staff has done with the 2010 class. This is going to be a very exciting summer on the recruiting trail. Can't wait to see these guys in action next November.

agree, having Larry go in the first round is big, having Eric and Larry go in the first round back to back years is even bigger. Don't forget that Kasey Wilson has already given us a verbal and he will be, if not already, highly ranked recruit. Just look at what Coach Smart, Coach Wade and others have done so far:

1. Darius Theus
2. Troy Daniels
3. Issiah Grayson
4. Reco McCarter
5. DJ Haley
6. Rob Brandenburg
7. Juvonte Reddic
8. Toby Veal
9. Kasey Wilson

We are already starting to see how good Darius and Troy are going to be and I believe Reco will be the best of them all. Very exciting getting so many talented players in such a short span.

Nice muscle tone on that UMD link.

Glad we got this guy, nice job Shaka and Wade. :D

well at least we can stop hearing that only people on these boards are going too far in hyping prospects before they ever get here and play a game. This is a lot to expect and while he does have a chance to do it down the line it is too early for this kind of talk, imo.

It is interesting when we think about recruiting that if say Terrance left and Toby came this year that in 24 months (after next years class) Shaka could have turned over 12 of the 13 players on the roster (only Brad would be left)

*Edit Note: No I am not saying it is Shaka's fault for the large turnover in the roster, just that very quickly we will see what players that Shaka brings in to fill his system will look like fully implemented.

At the very least, it's good to have our school's name tossed around in this sort of publication and in this sort of light. Whether he ever lives up to this lofty expectation or not, it's still good publicity at the very least. Good stuff...I'm anxious to see him play.

4RunningRam said:
ramramthankyoumaam said:
I didn't see Saintil in the game at all last night.

And you just might not see him in a game again, for that matter.

My thoughts exactly. I hope it's not the case, but Saintil certainly looks like he's in the doghouse right now.

districtballer said:
4RunningRam said:
ramramthankyoumaam said:
I didn't see Saintil in the game at all last night.

And you just might not see him in a game again, for that matter.

My thoughts exactly. I hope it's not the case, but Saintil certainly looks like he's in the doghouse right now.

He's been in the doghouse on multiple occassions. Too bad, he's got plenty of athletic talent and upside. Great footwork and tremendouns body. But it's some of his behavior that's seemingly caused him unecessary troubles...

Yeah I've heard he had run-in's with Jay Gavin on more than one occassion during practices and of course there is ice-cream sandwich gate. :lol:

[quoteThe Carolina native is still rough around the edges and has a long ways to go before he’s in same breath as his VCU counterparts, but the raw potential is definitely there for him to be there one day.][/quote]

I think this sums up my perception for the possibilities associated not only Reddic but with McCarter and DJ for this upcoming class as well. If all three grow into quenching my kool-aid thirst [associated with perception], then this will be one unique VCU class.

I add DJ because anyone with the intellegence, size, and athleticism he has must be taken seriously. If he has a hungry work ethic, by his junior year he could be all conference.

Speculaiton sure is fun, but I agree with earlier post: let's have the young men go to class focased on academics and bb, then we'll know their true character. Hat's off to Shaka for bringing in quality young men. I hope RamNation gives them energy and passion when lifes challenges hit them. At the end of the day, these are still 18 and 19 year old kids. I look forward to them becoming men and being proud to call themselves RAMS.

It is interesting when we think about recruiting that if say Terrance left and Toby came this year that in 24 months (after next years class) Shaka could have turned over 12 of the 13 players on the roster (only Brad would be left)

Excellent point, and I suspect more of a result of our coaching changes then the reflection on the quality of the young men Jeff or Anthony brought in. I certainly hope and work toward our coaching stability. Some of these upcoming recruits interest in VCU is likewise what interested other D1 programs in VCU as an excellent coaching source. Success breeds success. If we aren't proud of that, then we can't also be proud of Eric and Larry's NBA visiblity. It all goes together. Unfortunately, so does reaching higher for futue recruits. We must keep that in mind as we chase/land a 4 star recruit in the next 12 months. We can't make this great incoming class sound like yesterday's newspaper. We will get those 4 star recruits, because VCU bb is not a one-time wonder.

Back