Sloan on first-round draft pick Eric Maynor

Sloan on first-round draft pick Eric Maynor : "Everybody likes a point guard who passes the ball. They get a free ride home. They don't have to worry about getting a ride. It's the guys that shoot all the time that have a tough time getting a ride home."

From notes on a big article in the SLT on Kirilinko.

ramathon74 said:
Sloan on first-round draft pick Eric Maynor : "Everybody likes a point guard who passes the ball. They get a free ride home. They don't have to worry about getting a ride. It's the guys that shoot all the time that have a tough time getting a ride home."

From notes on a big article in the SLT on Kirilinko.
I get what Sloan is saying...but that sure is a weird way of saying it lol.

Different, but a neat way of putting it. Nice complement for Eric Maynor.

Oh crap. Looks like Sloan is using Blaine-isms!

Sloan is just trying to be extra special, and now that he's found that horse, he's gonna ride that horse.

Oh crap. Looks like Sloan is using Blaine-isms!

yeah but sloan is referring to guards who shoot all the time, not guards who can't shoot.

I lived in Salt Lake City for 3 years [business],eventually returning back to Richmond. While in SLC I followed the Jazz closely--the peak of the later years of "Stockton-to-Malone" for two!

Anyway, I continue to follow Coach Sloan and Jazz and this is Sloan's way of giving a solid compliment to a rookie. Sloan is a tough task master, which is unusual in today's NBA coaching world. He will make rookie's [like Eric] earn their role, and his and team's respect. Fortunately, I suspect Jerry is starting to feel very good about what he is seeing out of Eric, because they drafted him for ball handling and assists...with hope he can keep defenses honest with an outside shot (which is a lower but necessary team priority--they have light-it-up outside shooters. ERic just needs to keep help-out guards from collapsing down on bigs by hitting open outside shots. Eric doesn't have to carry scoring].

Bottom line: I believe Jerry likes what he is seeing from Eric initially on the floor, and I feel certain Eric will impress him over time with his off court demeanor and mental toughness as well. [That is what the other article from SLC was inferring about Eric appearing NBA ready].

On a personal note, I was estatic Eric was selected by the Jazz; not for selfish fan reasons, but because I think it is the perfect situation for Eric's game to develop and him to contribute. Eric will also be playing for one of the best coaches in the business.

PS

I get out to SLC everyone month on business. A trip or so ago Jeff Hornacek was at the hotel [former Jazz great], and I'm sure Stockton and others will be stopping in on a regular basis. Sloan has coached the best. Eric will only get better...Go RAMS!

Back