So....

Status
Not open for further replies.
BaNgMyPrOgRaM said:
So...to blame Coach Smart and his staff is preposterous. We all knew we would have a hiccup or two along the way. I'm not worried. I still feel confident in this team's ability to get 'er done. Always have, always will.

13-5 and 49 in the RPI for a first year head coach really sucks, doesn't it Bang? Man, JD shoulda been run outta town his first year (and some wanted that at the time). He was 18-12 (15-11 regular season) and it wasn't even his first gig. Of course, we did end up winning a championship and going to the NCAA Tournament that season. Good thing we didn't give up mid-season that year. He and VCU weren't gettin' her done.

Same with Dana Kirk, what was he, 13-13 his first year? Of course, his last two years he was 45-9.

NCIN29 said:
Interesting question:

Does this mean we beat Duke while they were in transition period? Are you saying that we only beat OK because they are having an off year? Gotta love loaded questions....

The truth is it's Smart's first year and he's not getting it done but people don't want to hear that. Fans that know players (like whereas) only want to post about their boy...

I agree with Morrisar and 4runningram...VCU is not getting it done. Blame whoever but it's the truth.

When we beat Duke they had talented players and a good coach, but lacked chemistry. When we beat Oklahoma they had talented players and a good coach, but lacked chemistry. We certainly didn't our recruit those teams. Sometimes even the best coaches with very talented players can't find the right combination in time. It is not always on the coach, it is not always on one particular player, things just happen. Yes, we have talented players, but so does Northeastern, William & Mary, ODU, GMU, etc. Northeastern has a good combination of talent and chemistry this year, their roster was very similar last year and got off to a heck of a start before completely falling apart at the end. Obviously they have learned from that this year, but they did lose 5 in a row before winning 11 in a row. College basketball can be a crazy sport. ODU has been clicking recently as well. GMU is heavy on talent and probably light on chemistry at this point, W&M is probably the other way around. Only one team can win it all though, several others are going to be disappointed. Who knows who will be playing the best ball in March. I am certainly not giving up on our team though.

VCU Finance 2008 said:
Yes, we have talented players, but so does Northeastern, William & Mary, ODU, GMU, etc.

Can't be. All their players must stink. Probably D2 talent.

VRam said:
VCU Finance 2008 said:
Yes, we have talented players, but so does Northeastern, William & Mary, ODU, GMU, etc.

Can't be. All their players must stink. Probably D2 talent.

I'll just say it jokingly, because I know there are folks thinking it. Maybe they should go to Rollins.

Side note, Jeff was only 18-10 his first year, we probably should have fired him and hired Pat Kennedy.

we probably should have fired him and hired Pat Kennedy

I for one applaud the strategy we've taken to hire up-and-coming coaches even if we risk not holding on to them as long or have growing pains.

VRam said:
BaNgMyPrOgRaM said:
So...to blame Coach Smart and his staff is preposterous. We all knew we would have a hiccup or two along the way. I'm not worried. I still feel confident in this team's ability to get 'er done. Always have, always will.

13-5 and 49 in the RPI for a first year head coach really sucks, doesn't it Bang? Man, JD shoulda been run outta town his first year (and some wanted that at the time). He was 18-12 (15-11 regular season) and it wasn't even his first gig. Of course, we did end up winning a championship and going to the NCAA Tournament that season. Good thing we didn't give up mid-season that year. He and VCU weren't gettin' her done.

Same with Dana Kirk, what was he, 13-13 his first year? Of course, his last two years he was 45-9.

You guys are amazing. For the 100th time, no one is saying 13-5 "sucks". We're saying it's underachieving. There's a big difference. No one is saying anyone should be fired. What's being opined is that we have not yet built off of the the momentum that we'd acquired previously.

I'd like to think that we'll be able to evolve past whatever success our previous coaches have had, and carry the momentum created by Jeff and Anthony to take that next step. Seems like everyone else is okay with status quo though. Suit yourself. If you're happy with being a B student, don't try to make better grades. If you're content with being a .285 hitter, dont worry about ever trying to hit .300. The goal should be to try to keep getting better, and I know for a fact that it is the goal of the Athletic Dept because I've been told as much. The only debate is what's the best path to get us there, and hence we have differing viewpoints on whether or not this is the path to take.

4RunningRam said:
You guys are amazing. For the 100th time, no one is saying 13-5 "sucks". We're saying it's underachieving. There's a big difference. No one is saying anyone should be fired. What's being opined is that we have not yet built off of the the momentum that we'd acquired previously.

What momentum? Go get some fresh air or something. You might have an argument if we were 5-13 and losing to teams that suck, but I dont see it. Geez, even the NFL Steelers missed the playoffs. :roll:

I think most of the negativity is based on unreasonable expectations...

Thank god we have fans who have unreasonable expectations.

They give money. They buy tickets. They show up when new coaches (who most people have never heard of) are introduced. They scream their heads off at the games and at the refs when they blow another call. They write inappropriate (and hilarious) things on white boards and dress like the opposing coach and get into other teams players heads by making signs with their Facebook page photos.

OK...maybe they care too much....and they make it fun to be a fan too.

Are we underachieving or are there unrealistic expectations...I would say some of both.
And it is not due to one person or one thing...no one has been close to perfect and it is a team effort.
The season is not close to over and we have not lost the tourney so let's evaluate and reflect in April.

Are we underachieving or are there unrealistic expectations.

I will say that based on our OOC , I am disappointed in our current league standing....I just don’t say it over and over and over and over again...I certainly don’t signal out one or two players or a coach to blame

Team game... They all win together and lose together...I don’t have spew negativity to make myself feel better about being 5-4 in the CAA.

I will wait until the final curtain to pass judgment on this addition of the Rams

I'm not sure if we have any bandwagon fans. Those people would be cheering for VT or UVA or some other major. We might have gained a few local fans who enjoy seeing a college around them be successful, but they wouldn't be joining a message board.

I will say that based on our OOC , I am disappointed in our current league standing....I just don’t say it over and over and over and over again...I certainly don’t signal out one or two players or a coach to blame

Team game... They all win together and lose together...I don’t have spew negativity to make myself feel better about being 5-4 in the CAA.

I will wait until the final curtain to pass judgment on this addition of the Rams

This very accurately sums up my feelings. With the strong out of conference start (exceeded my expectations), I was pumped for a strong conference run. Losing to NE away isn't a shocker and I knew they would be very tough at our place. Dropping the W&M away game after the big lead and the Drexel game are disappointments.

It's odd that we had the early run and are now struggling a bit, but this team is still trying to figure things out chemistry-wise. As someone pointed out on an earlier thread, the healthy OOC home schedule may have helped the won/loss record.

We have a number of guys who are fully capable of elevating their games beyond what they've consistently shown. If some do that and the chemistry thing gels, look out.

Sometimes said:
Did that last loss finally scare away all of the Maynor-era bandwagon fans? Is it safe for me to come out now?

Quick question for you.....what season did you first start to buy season tickets? What season did you start posting on the Zone?

Let me get this straight, Shaka is underachieving now because he overachieved during the OOC schedule? :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back