Sorry Guys :(

I swear there might be more panties getting in a bunch when football is discussed for VCU, then when people get all angry about doing the wave during basketball games. YOU CAN'T CONTROL IT..MIGHT AS WELL HAVE SOME FUN AND GO WITH IT!

after yesterday, VCU has to get football. there is NO reason VCU should not have the sport. this is the largest school in the state and has a history of athletic excellence. basketball is GREAT, but it's embarrasing that our two rivals have football and we do not. even more embarrasing than that is when ODU and JMU are offered positions into a better conference while VCU is left behind (again). football is king in the u.s. and everyone should know this. we can wait a few years as long as their is a concrete intention of getting Ram football going, but waiting too long should not be an option. i will write to the new president and athletic department. i hope you do the same too.

You people who do not want VCU football are not thinking clearly. Football will only increase awareness to our school. Football will bring us better basketball recruits. Football will bring us Tailgating, which everyone LOVES. Get in the game and enjoy it.

Mercury said:
BOOMShakalaka said:
Natty said:
One day...
The day I stop giving to VCU athletics!

True fan of the program right here.....
haha okay so I might have been a bit over reacting here, but I was under the impressiont that people were wanting football immediately regardless of consequences. I see now that we are much more intelligent (and thus ram fans, not fans of other programs). I made that statement as a "If we were to start football NOW, I would stop giving" but I see that it didn't come across that way, my fault. If we do it right, I'm all for it, but I don't see any time table in the immediate or near future where it can be done right.

BOOMShakalaka said:
haha okay so I might have been a bit over reacting here, but I was under the impressiont that people were wanting football immediately regardless of consequences. I see now that we are much more intelligent (and thus ram fans, not fans of other programs). I made that statement as a "If we were to start football NOW, I would stop giving" but I see that it didn't come across that way, my fault. If we do it right, I'm all for it, but I don't see any time table in the immediate or near future where it can be done right.
You can't do it right until you do it...on a bighorn-ish note, the flag football games have a surprisingly loud crowd. It's awesome background noise for studying...so while it's probably just a couple of drunk frat bros, I feel like it's a saturday night.

rams77 said:
You people who do not want VCU football are not thinking clearly. Football will only increase awareness to our school. Football will bring us better basketball recruits. Football will bring us Tailgating, which everyone LOVES. Get in the game and enjoy it.

Saw the result of the ODU game on the ESPN ticker last Saturday. Why shouldn't or couldn't that be us?

rams77 said:

I'll grant you tailgating can be fun... although why so many feel that they have to have some kind of wink-wink excuse to drink is beyond me... starting football seems like awfully expensive and complicated undertaking if it's just a way to rationalize a party

as for awareness and better basketball recruits... do we lose that many recruits to Delaware? Richmond? JMU? Appy State? Montana? Youngstown State? UMass? because those are the powerhouses of the type of football we'd be joining in with, and none of them are vaulting past us on a wave of their football successes ...heck, do we lose many to the non-bcs fbs teams? ...do those non-bcs fbs teams steal many away from the bcs teams? ...maybe they do, I don't follow them all that closely ...obviously Memphis gets good recruits, but is there really an argument their football team should get any of the credit? ...would fcs or non-bcs fbs football push Xavier and Gonzaga over the top and have them constantly in the top 10?... I mean more than they already have been?

thinking clearly? assuming that somehow we would get BCS results with fcs, or even non-bcs fbs, efforts shows where the muddy thinking is happening

As I noted before there is a lot more to football than what happens on the field.
ODU gear is moving so fast they can't keep it on the shelves (generating more revenue)

"School officials printed 2,500 T-shirts with "12th Monarch" on the fronts this week, and they're on sale at the ODU University Bookstore behind the Ted Constant Convocation Center.

If those shirts are like any of the other items ODU is selling, they should go fast. Tina Price, director of athletic publications and creative services, said Wednesday that the school is having a record year when it comes to sales.

"Our best basketball year was in 2006, when we sold $36,000 worth for the year," Price said. "In the first week of September, our bookstore sales for gear exceeded $200,000 and our online sales so far in September are three times what they've ever been for an entire year."

This is found money that we weren't expecting. The President noted that at worst ODU will break even this year and will not take away from any other programs. Thats pretty good when in the first year your buying everything from jocks to seats, to video boards.

bigblueodu said:
"School officials printed 2,500 T-shirts with "12th Monarch" on the fronts this week, and they're on sale at the ODU University Bookstore behind the Ted Constant Convocation Center.

If those shirts are like any of the other items ODU is selling, they should go fast. Tina Price, director of athletic publications and creative services, said Wednesday that the school is having a record year when it comes to sales.

"Our best basketball year was in 2006, when we sold $36,000 worth for the year," Price said. "In the first week of September, our bookstore sales for gear exceeded $200,000 and our online sales so far in September are three times what they've ever been for an entire year."
twice wasn't enough, so I went ahead and requoted the article so that I could see it 3 times on our boards... :roll:

BOOMShakalaka said:
bigblueodu said:

twice wasn't enough, so I went ahead and requoted the article so that I could see it 3 times on our boards... :roll:

Haha...I'm glad somebody else finally saw through what these ODU guys are doing haha. Let the thread die already. ODU has football, congratulations. VCU will not be looking at it for the near future. Anything else that hasn't been rehashed over and over? ODU fans certainly want us to have football as evidenced by their unprovoked silly thread on monarchnation...bigblue had to lock it because it was so ridiculous. They're obsessed with us even in sports that we don't play. :lol:

http://www.monarchnation.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2055

I would want football too if we couldn't beat them on a basketball court...

but, that isn't something I have to worry about.. So, take the football enjoy until January One. But don't expect it to mask the depression that is your basketball program..

See you on the court.

Back