team chemistry?

so what does everyone think about team chemistry this year? We've got a transfer from Wake Forest, a transfer from Marist, a russian, 3 freshman pg's, 1 pg that couldn't make up his mind, and a pg in he nba now. Obviously we have Larry :D and nice contributors around him but how will the chemistry be this year?

If you think about it we have the same team minus Eric. The chemistry is definitely going to change, however since these guys are use to playing with each other I believe we can continue to move forward. A lot will depend on who is running the point. One good thing about this is the fact that we have a bevy of talent at the guard position. The best person I believe will get the job. At this point no one can replace eric but with the right system and the right rotation it may be possible to have a better team than last year. Yeah that is what I said. The big P is going to be better, Larry is going to be better,my man T.J. I predict is going to have a monster year. He has showed me that he is not afraid of competition. Dont forget Burgess had an excellent freshman year...acutually statistically better than Maynor in his freshman year. A lot will depend on how quickly the new guys can adapt to the current roster and it would depend on what type of system Coach Smart implements. If he puts in a system where we run and the guys are in shape to do so ......man...I would hate to be on the opposite side....We only know what we have seen on youtube post what the incoming freshman can do on a high school level...but judging by what I have seen we have a lot to be excited about....I hope that all of the guys get to play some pick up ball together over the summer to get a start on gettin familiar with each others personalities and styles.....A lot of ifs factored in but I think this team had taken direction from Eric and now Larry with some words of wisdom form Shu....."These guys are ready to work....bottom line the team will gell early in the season...we win another title :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

Not trying to start an argument, but I have to respectfully disagree that this is basically the same team minus Maynor. Three incoming freshmen, two transfers, Joey moving to PG full-time and replacing one of the greatest players in the history of the conference looms as quite a challenge for the coaching staff come October.

Now, some may say that Gavin and Skeen should transition easily b/c they've already had a year of practicing with their teammates. To you, a word of caution: Georgia State's heralded BCS transfers all had a year of practice while sitting out as redshirts, too, and it took most of last season before they started to hit on all cylinders with any consistency.

Is there a lot of talent on this team? Yes, no doubt. But anyone who knows basketball will tell you that talent doesn't guarantee anything if the five guys on the floor aren't cohesive. It will take time for everyone to learn their new roles, and without Eric there to bail them out as he did so often the last 3 years, there should be plenty of cringe-worthy moments during the non-conference season.

AG_fan said:
Not trying to start an argument, but I have to respectfully disagree that this is basically the same team minus Maynor. Three incoming freshmen, two transfers, Joey moving to PG full-time and replacing one of the greatest players in the history of the conference looms as quite a challenge for the coaching staff come October.

Now, some may say that Gavin and Skeen should transition easily b/c they've already had a year of practicing with their teammates. To you, a word of caution: Georgia State's heralded BCS transfers all had a year of practice while sitting out as redshirts, too, and it took most of last season before they started to hit on all cylinders with any consistency.

Is there a lot of talent on this team? Yes, no doubt. But anyone who knows basketball will tell you that talent doesn't guarantee anything if the five guys on the floor aren't cohesive. It will take time for everyone to learn their new roles, and without Eric there to bail them out as he did so often the last 3 years, there should be plenty of cringe-worthy moments during the non-conference season.

I think I have to agree somewhat because alot of times last year it was like "wow Eric is good." People would sit there at watch and on occasion when Eric missed Larry would just tip it back in. This year everyone is going to have to do their part and not just sit back and watch Eric.

I've heard the GSU analogy before. Couple of things to consider:

1) I believe GSU had four transfers last season and five over the past two seasons.
2) The transfers didn't join a core group that enjoyed any previous success.

So the difference is the GSU transfers were expected to turn the program around. The VCU transfers are expected to fit into an already successful program.

I don't think the two situations are similar.

I am no means saying it is a walk in the park but my point is similar to what you are saying aboout Georgia players having a year to practice...Our core players have played together for two seasons with the exception of Burgess who played just last season that is a fact that cannot be overlooked...If you assume that none of the players from last year will be on the floor at the same time I could understand the view.....I did note that it would depend on style and how quickly the team gells....I am not relying on talent alone....as good as Eric was last year he did not play the game by himself...He was a clutch player which that is what he has earned a right to be called because he was that...Some people act as if the team is going to implode because Eric has moved on....Look we have a good core of guys who are willing to work hard and have shown that they have the cappabilities to improve...Georgia State has to face the same thing we have to face in the ucoming season...I believe Larry will step up to be the leader he needs to be and PLEASE do not overlook Gwynn....mark my words to this day he will be the X factor for next year....Right now a lot of what is going on is just speculation and opinion...I know basketball and I know team sports in general and have played on many teams...so much depends on personality in the locker room not just talent...to spite what a lot of people are saying this was not A ONE MAN TEAM..... :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

SPI-DA1 said:
I am no means saying it is a walk in the park but my point is similar to what you are saying aboout Georgia players having a year to practice...Our core players have played together for two seasons with the exception of Burgess who played just last season that is a fact that cannot be overlooked...If you assume that none of the players from last year will be on the floor at the same time I could understand the view.....I did note that it would depend on style and how quickly the team gells....I am not relying on talent alone....as good as Eric was last year he did not play the game by himself...He was a clutch player which that is what he has earned a right to be called because he was that...Some people act as if the team is going to implode because Eric has moved on....Look we have a good core of guys who are willing to work hard and have shown that they have the cappabilities to improve...Georgia State has to face the same thing we have to face in the ucoming season...I believe Larry will step up to be the leader he needs to be and PLEASE do not overlook Gwynn....mark my words to this day he will be the X factor for next year....Right now a lot of what is going on is just speculation and opinion...I know basketball and I know team sports in general and have played on many teams...so much depends on personality in the locker room not just talent...to spite what a lot of people are saying this was not A ONE MAN TEAM..... :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

and u are right on gwynn...he has always played great in caa tounrey and anyone remember his 8-8 20 point game last season before he got hurt?

Gwynn is definitely a player. His offense may be somewhat streaky, but his defensive intensity is ALWAYS there. The CAA tourney and the UCLA game especially stand out to me.

Incredible to think that T.J. was recruited by Jeff Capel. In talking with him I always got te impression that he thought the sky was the limit for T. J. We have seen flashes of what he can accomplish (he was a monster in last years CAA tournament). His bugaboo has been injuries, but if he can stay healthy this year he could be a big contributor. People will say he is too small to play #4 and doesn't have the outside skills to play #3. A lot of people also thought JPR wasn't big enough for #3 and didn't have the outside skills to play #2. Both these guys have huge heart and are willing to do whatever it takes to win.

As for the chemistry, I am of the opinion that one J Rod is going to have a breakout year. I feel that back in his natural position, two years experience and an able cast to back him up will do great things for his game and in turn for the cohesiveness of this team.

We will be just fine. What about the chemistry of the other teams? Year after year they sit there and watch VCU reload and stay at or near the top. That has got to effect your head some.

We have a solid core of guys that have played together. Sure it includes two transfers, but both have been around for a year. We have incoming freshmen, but everybody does. It is how you replace guys who leave with them. So it is the same problem we (and everyone else) faces most every year.

This comes up just about every year, especially after you lose one or two very good players. But the veterans we have coming back we keep this team together.

The most thrilling thing for me is how well Larry has done this off-season. This team is going to be built around Larry. Coach smart said that from the start. Larry is proving to be a diamond in the ruff, and the ruff has now been polished. Nothing helps team chemistry like winning. I think we will do lots of winning in the next year.

We'll be in the Top 25 by January....book it! 8-) (yea I know what I said)

DCRAM said:

You really think it will take that long? ;)

DCRAM said:

I agree...we will be in the TOP 25 at some point this year!

JPR was light years a better athlete than Gwynn and had much more developed offensive skills. He also seemed to have long arms which allowed him to play bigger than his listed height (similar to Shuler).

I thought Gwynn would be a JPR clone when he signed with VCU but other than both having a lot of heart and playing hard that's where the similarities end in my opinion. I still think Gwynn will be a valuable player for us next season though.

Rambler said:
DCRAM said:

I agree...we will be in the TOP 25 at some point this year!

now I love vcu...but are you serious? Maybe I'm just pessimistic but I don't see that happening. Obviously we aren't going to be at the bottom of the caa next year, but we did get beat by northeartern last year with maynor. We lost maynor and they didn't lose matt janning. Granted they fell apart towards the end last year, but I still feel like its going to be a tough battle with mason and northeastern for 1st in the caa. Top 25 is a whole other issue lol.

Back