The best VCU player on the court tonight was...

VCUBeatsduke

Elite Member
1. JROD - played his little Florida heart out - got his shot back, and really took it to the pirates. Nice job Joey!

2. BROZ - Your 3 pointers are a thing of beauty - nice defense tonight as well!

3. Larry Sanders - all the way around good job - want to see you keep driving to the basket!

I loved what Mike Ellis said on the post game - issues and problems to work on - but others teams have much bigger issues to work on than we do..

Nice job Shaka - way to pulll this out.

VCUBeatsduke

Congrats to Larry Sanders on a career-high 23 point, 9 rebound, 4 block performace.

That said, the game ball goes to Joey, hands down. He willed us back into the game and ultimately to victory in this one. 19 points, 5 boards, 5 assists (against 1 turnover), and 3 steals. The heart and soul of the team tonight.

You are always spot on Beat Duke.

Larry is just 1 rebound per game over the past two short of 6 straight double doubles. Although 9 boards isn't bad at all the way ECU shot tonight.

Didn't have a huge night...but had a pretty huge sequence: TJ Gwynn. Drew the charge after we went ahead...then came down after a time out and scored close range, resulting in a 4 point lead. That and Brandon's threes completely changed the game.

That said it's hard to hate on Joey's line (19 points, 5 REBOUNDS!?, 5 assists, 3 steals)...YO!

And it's funny how used to Larry we've gotten...the guy dropped 23 points in 27 minutes, had a bunch of blocks and was one rebound shy of a double double.

Offensively some great numbers by a few guys (Skeen too, 7 and 7 aren't bad ...but more impressive was how quickly he drew all those fouls at the end of the first half)...anyway, I was saying... nice game on one end, but I think Joey left everything on the court on both ends. Game ball to Rodriguez.

Joey was the best tonight. It was the best i've seen him play this year by far. However, I am wondering why Larry is posting up almost at the 3 point line. he needs to get in the paint........

He doesn't have the lower body strength to establish position deep in the post, he gets bumped off his spot a lot. So he has to set up at the high post where the defender won't bump him to start his moves.

Mine go to Brandon and then Larry. Joey third. Brandon's shots were the game winners, and Larry set a career high in points. Nice floor game by JRod, but I'm not getting carried away with the scoring as it required 14 shots from the field to get there.

districtballer said:
He doesn't have the lower body strength to establish position deep in the post, he gets bumped off his spot a lot. So he has to set up at the high post where the defender won't bump him to start his moves.

I know but still, he's not effective by posting that far out. Terrance Saintil played in the paint great, showed great movement and that's how larry should be.

ndnballer09 said:
districtballer said:

I know but still, he's not effective by posting that far out. Terrance Saintil played in the paint great, showed great movement and that's how larry should be.

Right, but Terrance is a lot stronger than Larry. Larry doesn't have the strength that Terrance has on the low blocks. He could try, but he gets bumped off his spot when he tries to establish position deep in the post.

districtballer said:
ndnballer09 said:
districtballer said:

Right, but Terrance is a lot stronger than Larry. Larry doesn't have the strength that Terrance has on the low blocks. He could try, but he gets bumped off his spot when he tries to establish position deep in the post.

This is so true DB...your right on. This is why I think Larry will stay one more year at VCU...to get stronger and to learn some more post moves...

VCUBeatsduke

Why was Larry out front on that odd matchup zone we played in the halfcourt (for 1 sequence?), with JRod down low under the basket? Did anyone else see that? It was weird.

Larry may get bumped off the low block often, but he also needs to try to establish position down there more. He can draw something called a foul if he tries to stand his ground and is pushed out to severely.

Rambunctious said:
Why was Larry out front on that odd matchup zone we played in the halfcourt (for 1 sequence?), with JRod down low under the basket? Did anyone else see that? It was weird.

Larry may get bumped off the low block often, but he also needs to try to establish position down there more. He can draw something called a foul if he tries to stand his ground and is pushed out to severely.

I remember that and I believe it was because the inbounds was at half court and larry was on the inbounder and joey got stuck down there.

VCUbusinessgrad said:
Rambunctious said:

I remember that and I believe it was because the inbounds was at half court and larry was on the inbounder and joey got stuck down there.

This.

Back