The New Decade

As we begin the new decade, we are excited about VCU athletics and basketball in particular. What do you think will happen during the next 10 years? Let me suggest several things for thought.

A football team
Signing a McDonald's All American
Realigning the CAA conference
Moving to a new conference
Another head coach
Identifying a major donor
Expansion of the Siegel Center
Post season play
Making the sweet sixteen
Making the elite 8
Perennial top twenty ranking
Playing UVA and Va Tech, home and away
Champions of the CAA
At large bid

Of course bang, beating Wilmington is the immediate goal, but look beyond the end of your nose.

We will not need any at-large bids as we will/should win the conference tourney every year in the next decade. :!: 8-)

mike7842 said:
As we begin the new decade, we are excited about VCU athletics and basketball in particular. What do you think will happen during the next 10 years? Let me suggest several things for thought.

A football team
Signing a McDonald's All American
Realigning the CAA conference
Moving to a new conference
Another head coach
Identifying a major donor
Expansion of the Siegel Center
Post season play
Making the sweet sixteen
Making the elite 8
Perennial top twenty ranking
Playing UVA and Va Tech, home and away
Champions of the CAA
At large bid

Mike, I would add (1) selling out the Siegel Center for each basketball game and (2) post season bids for the other teams in our athletic program, such as women's basketball, women's volleyball, baseball, tennis, golf, and men's and women's soccer. (3) Also, if we add football, we will need to add additional women's teams to match the number of men's football scholarships. (4) We also need to add physical facilities for baseball and tennis. (5) We need to get our fans to think of the athletic program as something more that just basketball.

No response to this thread except Dr. Hunt. What will happen to VCU in the next 10 years? At the end, I will be approaching my 8th decade.....Will we be in a new conference? Will the Siegal Center be expanded? Will we have another coach and athletic director? Will we have a football team?

This subject has been debated so many times and almost as much as the yearly move the tournament...and it is a waste of energy as most have no clue about what is involved nor want to do anything about it...

ram4life said:
(5) We need to get our fans to think of the athletic program as something more that just basketball.

VCU is a basketball school, this is why its all people care about. It sucks for the other programs but thats just the way it is

We need another win this decade. and Mike,who knows what will happen but if we lose games it wont matter.

--------------
GO RAMS!
Beat Blue Hens!!

I think it's a darn shame we don't have a women's softball team. I am being serious. If we add football and even if we don't I'd like to see us add softball. It's pretty entertaining and I like all the blond pony tails!

I can't think that far ahead.

I'm with Bang, I just want to win again this decade.

What new decade? The new decade starts in 2011, unless for some bizarre reason you count 0 AD as a year.

But as for predictions, here are some of mine:
1. Football will be hotly contested, but I still this being a no issue. I have yet to hear Rao's comments on it, and I doubt he will try to get a team started before they plan something new for the land which city stadium sits. Hence, we will need to build a stadium too, which could push football back a while.

2. We will remain in the CAA, but it's possible ODU will get stars in its eyes with their new football team and try to sign with another conference. I doubt the ACC would pick them up unless they become beast in football, but there may be another major conf willing to try them.

3. After our third appearance in the NCAA with Shaka, he will be called up by a major team. Possibly Auburn, LSU or Texas/Texas Tech since our last 2 went to that general area to major football schools. We will look to UF for our new couch, but the well will have gone dry.

4. Siegel Center remains as it is, but ticket prices will go up (without taking inflation into account).

4. UVa and Va Tech STILL won't play us, even if we start sucking. They would be too afraid a lousy mid-major team would beat them.

5. Pav's horn will be stolen at ODU. We will not be able to find them again. Sorry Pav!

Rambunctious said:
I think it's a darn shame we don't have a women's softball team. I am being serious. If we add football and even if we don't I'd like to see us add softball. It's pretty entertaining and I like all the blond pony tails!

Jennie Finch!

eaglescout1984 said:
What new decade? The new decade starts in 2011, unless for some bizarre reason you count 0 AD as a year.

Wrong. The decade starts in 2010, as did the last decade in 2000.

Back