The Official Beat the Dayton Fayers in the Stu Thread

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
You know what time it is.

kd3ehw6mnc1wsnetvekg.gif

TV: ESPN2, Friday February 9th, 7:00pm

Radio: 910 AM the Fan (910 AM or 105.1 FM); stream audio on the Audacy app, the VCU Athletics app, or the Ram Nation Network.

Tickets: Here

History: VCU is 17-9 all-time against Dayton.

Last Meeting: VCU defeated Dayton 68-56 at Barclays Center on March 12, 2023 to win the Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament.

When I think of Dayton, our first game against the Flyers comes to mind. Playing on the road, the Rams came away with a hard fought 73-67 victory. After being up by 10 at half time, Dayton rallied to take a one point lead at the 6:18 mark. However, after some timely plays Calvin Duncan, Rolando Lamb and Nicky Jones (subbing for Mike Schlegel who fouled out) the Rams were able to snap Dayton’s eight game home winning streak.

The game was also remembered for a glass beer bottle being throw by a Dayton fan that burst hitting a railing behind the VCU bench in the latter portion of the game. If any younger fans ever wondered why glass bottled drinks are not sold at games, this is a pretty good example why.

In 1967 Dayton played for the national championship falling to UCLA 79-64. Coach Don Donoher, who a few years earlier replaced coach Tom Blackburn who died of cancer, guided the Flyers to the NCAA Sweet Sixteen in his first two years as coach; they then led the Flyers to the 1967 NCAA Championship game by beating Western Kentucky, #8 ranked Tennessee, Virginia Tech, and #4 ranked North Carolina, before falling to #1 ranked and eventual champion UCLA led by Lew Alcindor who later changed his name to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

I also think of former NBA all-star shooting guard Jim Paxson, the more talented but lesser-known brother of former Chicago Bull and NBA champion John Paxton. The connection is fairly ironic because one of the justifications for the Portland Trailblazers drafting Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan was because they already had a rookie Clyde Drexler and Jim Paxton, who was an all-star the year Jordan was drafted. Classic example of why you should just draft the best available talent and worry about fit later.

Former Flyer Don May was a very good college player for Dayton who was on the roster of the famous 1970 Knicks championship team led by Willis Reed. I say he was on the roster because he only played a total of seven minutes in two playoff games, one a 36 point beat down of the Kareem led Milwaukee Bucks. That Bucks team also had Richmonder and Maggie Walker alum, NBA All-Rookie team member Bobby Dandridge.

Finally, the day after the upcoming Dayton game marks the sixth anniversary of Justin Tillman’s career high 37 points against the Flyers in an overtime victory at the Siegel Center in 2018. Tillman shot a massive 17-25 from the field and could’ve easily posted a 40 point game if he had hit his free throws at a decent rate, going 3-8 from the line. Because we didn’t have a strong 2018 season, I think Tillman gets overlooked as one of the best players we’ve had at VCU. And of course, if you would like to watch the game…cue the shameless plug…it’s available on Mistachill’s Youtube channel!

When I think of Dayton, I think of Anthony Grant's Fayer's who had Villanova beat in the first round of the 1985 NCAA tournament, but got ripped off and lost 51-49. Villanova went on the run through the NCAA Tournament and upset Georgetown for the National Championship.

Dayton is quite impressive. They’re good all around. If we can get the D going like we did vs Richmond, we have can beat them. Have to play really good perimeter D as well.

When I think of Dayton I only think of the Flyers because there’s nothing else there that seemed worth seeing tbh.

As soon as the subject of Dayton arises, as it so often does while standing in the sub line at Wawa, PF Flyers come to mind. PF stands for Posture Foundation. Many of us wore PF Flyers in the '60s, even for playing basketball. At the time they weren't much better than wearing bedroom slippers. Wonder is anyone ever dunked wearing the old version of PF Flyers?

The word "Dayton" also conjures up memories of Flyer Don May, perhaps the best 6-4 white rebounder in hoop annals. Could Don have worn PF's?

As soon as the subject of Dayton arises, as it so often does while standing in the sub line at Wawa, PF Flyers come to mind. PF stands for Posture Foundation. Many of us wore PF Flyers in the '60s, even for playing basketball. At the time they weren't much better than wearing bedroom slippers. Wonder is anyone ever dunked wearing the old version of PF Flyers?

The word "Dayton" also conjures up memories of Flyer Don May, perhaps the best 6-4 white rebounder in hoop annals. Could Don have worn PF's?
PF Flyers. They made you ”run faster and jump higher” according to their old ad campaign.

Dayton is clearly the class of the league, but they are by no means a bunch of "world beaters". AG is pretty much taking a page out of Mark Schmidt's playbook by basically playing 6 guys start to finish.

The Stu will be rockin and our team D has been on the rise. Looking forward to seeing Tobi on Holmes. Santos is a paper tiger who feasts on crap teams, and our guard depth matches what Dayton can offer.

I like our chances at home...

Let's go Rams!!!

I had a hard time listening, and caring for that matter, but did anyone hear the commentators last night say something about our Coach concerned about our ability to put away games because of stamina issues?

Dayton is clearly the class of the league, but they are by no means a bunch of "world beaters". AG is pretty much taking a page out of Mark Schmidt's playbook by basically playing 6 guys start to finish.

The Stu will be rockin and our team D has been on the rise. Looking forward to seeing Tobi on Holmes. Santos is a paper tiger who feasts on crap teams, and our guard depth matches what Dayton can offer.

I like our chances at home...

Let's go Rams!!!
Blanket Santos and Brea. I'm very interested to see who gets those match ups on defense - Zeb can for sure stick with Brea, but Santos is the more dynamic player and could demand Zeb's coverage. I think he may be introduced to one Mr. Michael Belle, although if it were me I might be tempted to try Belle on Holmes in stretches.

I had a hard time listening, and caring for that matter, but did anyone hear the commentators last night say something about our Coach concerned about our ability to put away games because of stamina issues?

Well tbf it’s not like we get to do a bunch of stamina training. Rhoades style didn’t really revolve around that as far as his old players still here and I don’t know Utah state exactly ran like A10 teams. No less A10 is a very physical league. Definitely something we’ll need to address in the offseason though.

Back