The Official Beat the Dayton Fayers in the Stu Thread

So for those that missed it.

Apparently there’s some controversy surrounding #2 on Dayton (Santos) over flipping off SJU fans and possibly yelling a certain slur starting with F that was caught on hot mic.

Didn't Bamisile "flip off" the VCU Black & Goldies Jan.11, '22 at The Stu? Or something like that? Ridden unmercifully by the student section, Joe scored 11 points in 31 minutes but was 0-for-3 at foul line in an 84-57 VCU romp. I suppose the VCU faithful were upset he wasn't attending VCU at the time.

Dayton is quite impressive. They’re good all around. If we can get the D going like we did vs Richmond, we have can beat them. Have to play really good perimeter D as well.

We're ranked 8th on Torvik for 3 pt defense while Dayton is ranked 6th for 3pt%. We're also ranked 6th in defensive efg%. Dayton wins if we keep sending them to the free throw line for freebies.

Didn't Bamisile "flip off" the VCU Black & Goldies Jan.11, '22 at The Stu? Or something like that? Ridden unmercifully by the student section, Joe scored 11 points in 31 minutes but was 0-for-3 at foul line in an 84-57 VCU romp. I suppose the VCU faithful were upset he wasn't attending VCU at the time.
I don’t know about Bam. Can anyone confirm that? The Dayton incident is on video going around Twitter.

This is probably the most important game of the reg season.

A win gives us a 3 game lead over the bottom half of the league and we would then have a win over all top 3 teams.

A win over Dayton nearly solidifies a top 4 finish. But we would also have the confidence factor. Knowing we already handled Fur and Dayton we would probably be pretty tough to stop the rest of the way.

This is probably the most important game of the reg season.

A win gives us a 3 game lead over the bottom half of the league and we would then have a win over all top 3 teams.

A win over Dayton nearly solidifies a top 4 finish. But we would also have the confidence factor. Knowing we already handled Fur and Dayton we would probably be pretty tough to stop the rest of the way.
Nevermind if we want any possible at large discussion you have to win this. Net ranking of 80. We can get that down to the 60s real quick possibly with a major late season surge.

As soon as the subject of Dayton arises, as it so often does while standing in the sub line at Wawa, PF Flyers come to mind. PF stands for Posture Foundation. Many of us wore PF Flyers in the '60s, even for playing basketball. At the time they weren't much better than wearing bedroom slippers. Wonder is anyone ever dunked wearing the old version of PF Flyers?

The word "Dayton" also conjures up memories of Flyer Don May, perhaps the best 6-4 white rebounder in hoop annals. Could Don have worn PF's?
Whenever the subject of PF Flyers comes up I’m reminded of one of the most prolific base runners in Dodgers’ history, Benjamin Franklin Rodriquez better known to his millions of adoring fans as “The Jet Rodriquez”. He came from humble beginnings playing ball with the neighborhood kids at the local Sandlot but would go on the be one of the most recognized names in MLB history. Benny was known for his love of story telling and one of his favorite stories to tell was how he once had to “pickle a beast” in order to retrieve a lost autographed baseball signed by none other than Babe Ruth. Your guess is as good as mine on how much truth there was to that story but it was always an entertaining story nonetheless!

Whenever the subject of PF Flyers comes up I’m reminded of one of the most prolific base runners in Dodgers’ history, Benjamin Franklin Rodriquez better known to his millions of adoring fans as “The Jet Rodriquez”. He came from humble beginnings playing ball with the neighborhood kids at the local Sandlot but would go on the be one of the most recognized names in MLB history. Benny was known for his love of story telling and one of his favorite stories to tell was how he once had to “pickle a beast” in order to retrieve a lost autographed baseball signed by none other than Babe Ruth. Your guess is as good as mine on how much truth there was to that story but it was always an entertaining story nonetheless!

When I think of Benjamin Franklin Rodriguez, I think of the late Benjamin Franklin Veney, aka "Rabbit," of Waynesboro, Va.

Rabbit may have been the fastest man of all time.

Long ago at a WHS football practice, Rabbit showed up on his bike and challenged the team to about a 50-yard race. This was during end-of-drills sprinting.

Coach picked about five of his fastest guys to face Rabbit's challenge. For about 30 yards it was pretty close ... then Rabbit, laughing loudly, spun and galloped the last 20 yards backwards, easily winning.

They didn't call him Rabbit for nothing. No joke here, you may be able to find some online info on Rabbit (he died in 2011), among the most beloved men in Waynesboro history, and certainly the fastest.

Last edited:
What is the worst NET to ever make it in?
In 2022 18-13 Rutgers got an at-large with a NET of 77 and was the last team in. They lost to Notre Dame in the First Four. Despite their record and low NET, though, they had 6 Q1 wins, including 5 wins against top-25 NET teams (including a massive upset of then #1-ranked Purdue).

They were rated lower in the NET than two teams with .500 or worse records - Oklahoma State (51, 15-15) and Kansas State (74, 14-17).

If COVID hadn't canceled the 2020 tournament, UCLA was likely to get in with a NET of 76.

Last edited:
How do you not mention the legendary steal? Shame...haha

abcc308fd097636a9da22d3437b4305a.jpg

Last edited:
In 2022 18-13 Rutgers got an at-large with a NET of 77 and was the last team in. They lost to Notre Dame in the First Four. Despite their record and low NET, though, they had 6 Q1 wins, including 5 wins against top-25 NET teams (including a massive upset of then #1-ranked Purdue).

They were rated lower in the NET than two teams with .500 or worse records - Oklahoma State (51, 15-15) and Kansas State (74, 14-17).

If COVID hadn't canceled the 2020 tournament, UCLA was likely to get in with a NET of 76.

giphy.gif

Actually more than a chance. If there’s not too many bid stealers. If we somehow win the regular season we’re definitely getting looked at closely. If we say sweep UD and Richmond and avoid a landmine while making a A10 tourney run we definitely should be in consideration. Committee wants hot teams in Feb/March. Plus our name does carry more weight than many non power schools. We just have to put ourselves in a position for the committee to say “Why not? This team has lots of talent and could really make noise.”

If we somehow win the regular season
The problem is we are the only one of the top 4 that has three games against the top 4 left. WE also need to win out to move into the top 2 and that still is not a guarantee. My personal feeling is we will stay locked in at 4. The only real debate is who is 1 Dayton or UR.

Back