The Official Beat the Dayton Fayers in the Stu Thread

Yep, and I don't want to look at them the same way. We're seeing a lack of civility in so many places, and sports is supposed to be a fun, if too short escape from the reality of the world in my opinion.

Even at the pro level what's acceptable behavior ? personal taunts ? I've never thought so unless the guy is asking for it with behavior on the floor. Even then there's a line to be respected if even for your own personal self respect.

The internet is full of the college game highlights of fights, classless taunting, and I'm a bad *ss video clips.... and that's just womens basketball. Kelces in your face to coach Reid would have been a rare rare thing to see not too long ago, but it's becoming more common place.
Personally, I don't see why it's necessary to have any type of personal interaction with players, but it has been part of the deal with both pro and amateur sports for centuries. I'm not sure how you determine what's "acceptable?" And we can't pretend that the stuff going on now was any different than in the past.

When I see the clips of Hank Aaron breaking Ruth's homerun record and some random fans running on the field congratulating him...after the dude had received death threats? Fans throwing batteries at players? Fans showing up at the home of players? People hauling taunts at player wives and girlfriends? And guess what, we (VCU fans) are not exempt. I remember we played UNCW one year and a fan held up a sign with the telephone number of one of their player's girlfriend.

I get it, sports is different than real life. Though I never do it, it's acceptable to boo players but we would never think about booing the waiter who screwed up our order. Hard to draw a line that everybody would deem acceptable. We know the extremes are unacceptable, but what about that middle area? Hard issue to address.

It's a cheap shot, and whether you like the kid or not, he's playing college ball, and not the NBA. There are ways to criticize a player without it being personal or classless. That comment fell into the both of those categories of course that's just my opinion, your mileage my vary. I've seen much worse, but I think you keep those type of comments to yourself and not displayed out in public.
This got me thinking. What's the difference between a NBA player and a many college basketball players? The size of their paychecks? They both exist to entertain us and generate money for the "business" they work for.

Regardless of the size of a basketball players paycheck, I don't see any reason to look for reasons to criticize but find it more entertaining to look at the accomplishments.

The landscape of college sports, mainly football and men's basketball, has changed a lot over the past decade of so. Not that long ago we used to support the program through students and the athletes now we seem to be forced to be more supportive of the "business" than the people that represent the program.

That being said; a basketball player that can't handle or doesn't know how to handle criticism from the public might want to consider finding another sport to play because basketball fans don't seem to have a problem playing "expert" or Monday morning quarterback.

I'm sorry if you consider it a rabbit hole trying to justify no disconnection between how we act as a sports fan and how we treat "other human beings" in our everyday life. The rabbit hole is usually a convenient out when your comment makes little sense.
Have a nice life. Go Rams

This got me thinking. What's the difference between a NBA player and a many college basketball players? The size of their paychecks? They both exist to entertain us and generate money for the "business" they work for.

Regardless of the size of a basketball players paycheck, I don't see any reason to look for reasons to criticize but find it more entertaining to look at the accomplishments.

The landscape of college sports, mainly football and men's basketball, has changed a lot over the past decade of so. Not that long ago we used to support the program through students and the athletes now we seem to be forced to be more supportive of the "business" than the people that represent the program.

That being said; a basketball player that can't handle or doesn't know how to handle criticism from the public might want to consider finding another sport to play because basketball fans don't seem to have a problem playing "expert" or Monday morning quarterback.
I'd agree with many points. I still make a distinction between college, and pro sports. However that gap is narrowing with the advent of NIL.

Ugh, comparing anything I say to Lawrence Welk, dems fightin' words, fightin' words I tell you. ;)
Hey you say bubbly and it's the first thing that comes to mind ...unfortunately...... Forced to watch that as a kid whenever I was at the grandparents house... it left scars.

I call it mean-spirited and unnecessary.

The guy has now been at two stops in his collegiate career, and the results are the same. If/when he produces, I will be the first to praise him. That has yet to happen and his career at VCU is now 24 games into the season. He has not seen the court since December 30th. Do you also think its "mean-spirited" that Coach Odom has not played him since December 30th, yet his "walk-on" son got into the game vs. Saint Louis January 19th that was a 24 point blowout? This is big boy basketball. Not the YMCA.

Wheeler is on a full ride, great student living accomodations and has at least one NIL. While, at the same time, I'm being asked multiple times each year to pony up more money for the program. I have skin in the game just as Wheeler does. And I have every right to be critical of my investment. Just like he has every right to transfer at the drop of a hat with no penalty. Pay for play also comes with big time public scrutiny.

Hey you say bubbly and it's the first thing that comes to mind ...unfortunately...... Forced to watch that as a kid whenever I was at the grandparents house... it left scars.
Yeah, I have the same scars.😵‍💫

The guy has now been at two stops in his collegiate career, and the results are the same. If/when he produces, I will be the first to praise him. That has yet to happen and his career at VCU is now 24 games into the season. He has not seen the court since December 30th. Do you also think its "mean-spirited" that Coach Odom has not played him since December 30th, yet his "walk-on" son got into the game vs. Saint Louis January 19th that was a 24 point blowout? This is big boy basketball. Not the YMCA.

Wheeler is on a full ride, great student living accomodations and has at least one NIL. While, at the same time, I'm being asked multiple times each year to pony up more money for the program. I have skin in the game just as Wheeler does. And I have every right to be critical of my investment. Just like he has every right to transfer at the drop of a hat with no penalty. Pay for play also comes with big time public scrutiny.
I understand your perspective. If your jab was a one off, I wouldn’t have commented. For some reason you’ve attacked him multiple times. It’s getting old but go ahead and keep at it.

Back