The Official Beat the St. Joseph's Hawks in the Stu for Homecoming Thread

It was a win.
And a huge win at that. VCU went into this game with a 3 game cushion and holds onto that lead going into the URI game. A win Wednesday night might just be enough for the bye in Brooklyn. Get that one and maybe VCU can move up into 1st place. I mean....it could happen. Ha!

Last edited:
My analysis - 18 is the magic number. The 18 is a combination of turnovers committed, offensive rebounds given up, and missed bunnies by VCU.

Under 18 - we win
18 - nail biter
Over 18 - better shoot the lights out
Way over 18 - forget about it

I loved seeing the energy in the second half from our guys. Every coach at VCU (and every college basketball program for that matter) has coached a team that gets pounded in one game and it carries over into the next game. It happens with 18-23 year olds (and honestly professional athletes too). The big test for a team in that situation is not letting it carry over into multiple games. The first half stunk last night, there is no doubt about that, but..... our guys showed fire in the second half and really got it rolling.

Looking forward to Rhody!

Indeed, we are 6th in the nation today in FT%. Never thought I'd see the day.

Last season we finished 264th.
I remember a question asked of Odom shortly after he was hired about why his teams are typically really good at free throw shooting. He said he recruits for it, and teaches it. Yes, he brought two really good FT shooters with him in Shulga and Bairstow, but even guys like Fermin (who has no outside shot that we've seen) are doing quite well at the line. It really is remarkable.

Indeed, we are 6th in the nation today in FT%. Never thought I'd see the day.

Last season we finished 264th.
It is a pretty remarkable statistic when you think about. VCU fans have been spoiled with regular season winnings and conference tournament success for the better part of the last two decades. Our identity has long been defense (specifically forcing turnovers), but we've had plenty of good shooters and scorers. One thing that I've RARELY trusted was our FT shooting.

A few notes after scrubbing KenPom: JC's 2004 NCAA team ranked 320 in the nation! 1/3 seasons (2008) AG was head coach we ranked in the 200s. 3/6 seasons SS was head coach we ranked in the 200s and none were top 100. For all the praise WW gets as a smart head coach, his teams were ranked 201 & 163 in FT shooting! And.... 4/6 seasons MR was coach we ranked in the 200s.

In recent years (prior to this one), the one main outlier was 2020-2021 when VCU ranked 38th in FT shooting at 76.1% and a lot of that was due to Bones Hyland high FT rate and %.

In conclusion..... I've accepted the fact that our defense is darn good at limiting field goals made by the other team. I would be lying if I told you I didn't miss what sometimes felt like 10 steals per game by the VCU defense, but if the tradeoff is a Top 10 FT% shooting team, then I'll live with it!

It is a pretty remarkable statistic when you think about. VCU fans have been spoiled with regular season winnings and conference tournament success for the better part of the last two decades. Our identity has long been defense (specifically forcing turnovers), but we've had plenty of good shooters and scorers. One thing that I've RARELY trusted was our FT shooting.

A few notes after scrubbing KenPom: JC's 2004 NCAA team ranked 320 in the nation! 1/3 seasons (2008) AG was head coach we ranked in the 200s. 3/6 seasons SS was head coach we ranked in the 200s and none were top 100. For all the praise WW gets as a smart head coach, his teams were ranked 201 & 163 in FT shooting! And.... 4/6 seasons MR was coach we ranked in the 200s.

In recent years (prior to this one), the one main outlier was 2020-2021 when VCU ranked 38th in FT shooting at 76.1% and a lot of that was due to Bones Hyland high FT rate and %.

In conclusion..... I've accepted the fact that our defense is darn good at limiting field goals made by the other team. I would be lying if I told you I didn't miss what sometimes felt like 10 steals per game by the VCU defense, but if the tradeoff is a Top 10 FT% shooting team, then I'll live with it!
Only trade off I care about is making it to the dance.

Anyone know the recruit we hosted this past weekend? I saw Coach Theus talking to him and his parents. He was a tall slender white guy.

Back