The Official Exterminate the Richmond Spiders in Henrico Thread

Not surprised by this loss. We played a great 5 minutes and then just played average for 30 minutes and then played 5 minutes of very poor ball. We are not a bad team....heck we will have 20+ wins at the end of the season. But we are a pretty inconsistent team and have been since the start of the season. We can play a game where everyone looks like they are NBA players and then the very next game we look like we are a bunch of high school players and then play a game where we just look like an average college team.
It's Odom's first year and he didn't have a lot of time to put together a team. The same thing happened the first year MR took over and basically had to put together a team from scratch. The first year is hard. The only thing I worry about is we have entered a college basketball period where it may be hard to build a multi-year team like in the past. We may end up having to rebuild every single year or at least have to find new "goto" players each year as players opt for the portal to find higher level teams.
I think it is going to take us another 2 years to build a more long-lasting and stronger team that is more competitive. Kind of worried about next year. We have 4 seniors......they may come back(covid), they may not, then we have 2 additional slots that have been open since last summer and we have 1 grad student. That is 7 total spots available and we have filled only 1 of them with Jennings and it's already March.
Anyway, I expect our season to end after the A10 tournament.....eh, it happens. I don't think 4th or 5th placed A10 teams will even get an NIT bid. But at least then we can concentrate early on finding out who is leaving and then work on getting a full 13 player roster for the 24-25 season
I mean we all know that’s how it’s gonna be. UR had like 6 seniors. The most we’re gonna generally have players probably now is 2 years with some 4 years in there maybe. Most will probably be one year rentals though. I mean if you look at things it could easily be UR in 4th and us in 1st if certain transfers worked out and UR took L’s in some close wins and we won our close ones as well didn’t give some away.

I would argue transfer portal plays to UR more than us as we excel in development. UR generally wasn’t as great in that tbh.

This is the type team that could limp into the tournament get hot from three for two games and next thing you know we're in the sweet 16. But we got to get there.

This fur game was a big let down, but hey that is the rivalry. Even during Shakas tenure they found ways to beat us. They have always had guards that went off in the rivalry game. Cedric Lindsay?? That's the fun of it. Hard to really gauge where the team is in a game like that anything can happen. It's not like King was unguarded all night. He hit some tough shots and is actually a good player. Even Zeb couldn't guard him and people think Belle would have made a difference??

Dayton? Idk. Could very much go the same way. On their floor last game of the season. It's gonna be a battle. But that short bench has made them vulnerable all year. A couple fouls go our way early and they literally don't have anybody. And we seem to be to Dayton what SBU is to us. Even when they are winning they find ways to choke.

As is been the case though, we still control a lot of our destiny, but I just honestly don't know about this team fr. Games like ISU and Memphis and Dayton tells me if it clicks were dangerous. Games like UMass and NSU and GW tell me it's a fine line between being the best and time to start building next year's roster.

We can beat Dayton.
My Dayton fan friends here in Dayton are sure worried about this game. Keep Holmes from totally going off on us and make their three attempts difficult and we can definitely win. That's not always easy, but we're capable of doing it. A pretty game goes Dayton's way, if we muck it up a bit, we have a good chance.

My Dayton fan friends here in Dayton are sure worried about this game. Keep Holmes from totally going off on us and make their three attempts difficult and we can definitely win. That's not always easy, but we're capable of doing it. A pretty game goes Dayton's way, if we muck it up a bit, we have a good chance.
Will you be at the game?!

Can ...sure

Will...?

Yea, welcome to sports!! It's the "will they" that makes it so much fun!

Win or Lose, I'll echo the sentiment of many others who (rightfully, in my opinion) see the job that Coach Odom did as nothing short of an almost total success based on where we were last April.
Top 4 (hopefully)
20 Wins (hopefully)
But more importantly, a very likable team with a FUN (mostly) playing style that occasionally lose games because....y'know....the other teams are talented and wanna win too :lol:

Richmond earned the W....let's see how this plays out. Ain't NO WAY the spiders get an at large....regardless of where they finish in the A10 standings.

No Sleep til Brooklyn!!

They should be worried. Dayton , for all the hype, has yet to beat a top 4 team in conference. They aren't The Boogeyman people make them out to be. I'm not even sure how they are in the conversation for a 5/6 seed.

Last edited:
Back