The Offseason

A few for yall to check out during the offseason: The Redeem Team, Sweetwater, and Air! ALL are FANTASTIC

Follow The Chef's InTheKitchen at : https://www.instagram.com/inthekitchen50/

Asks a very good question on Insta:
"RAMILY, thoughts on VCU being Off dominant as opposed to defensive?"

Untitled-2.jpg

What say you, Ramnation?

Have to disagree somewhat on the charge. Definitely need to be set before a player leaves their feet and allow them a place to land, but a defender in a legal guarding position needs a break too from offensive player initiating contact and the defender getting called for the foul. Too often the way it's called (actually not how the rule reads) the defender is doing nothing illegal, but still gets the foul call when the offensive player is causing the contact. My take anyway.
Secondary (emphasis on secondary) defender needs to be set outside the restricted arc before the offensive player becomes an airborne shooter and can't move laterally to maintain legal guarding position (primary defender CAN move laterally, obliquely and backwards to maintain). If you feel the defender needs to give them space to land on a drive (jump shot is different scenario) then you might as well get rid of the charge because every player has a right to their space on the floor.

Agreed defenders sometimes get called for contact they didn't create but they're usually not as legal as fans believe. Usually its a matter of verticality (i.e. players body is vertical but they jump forward into the offensive player) and legality with the NCAAM "A to B" mechanic, when player jumps and rotates their body while in the air to contest a layup (for example) is the most common A to B foul. It's been a point of emphasis to call more blocks on block/charge plays (which I agree with) but it's always a tough call to make with the speed of the game.

Side note: I'm a referee myself so I love to talk rules and try to help educate people on them lol

The thing about charge/block that bothers me is that too frequently an offensive player has no legit path to the hoop but just bulls his way into a defender and gets the call. This isn't a defender fouling to prevent the player from making an offensive play; the foul is the offensive player's play. So yeah, the opposite of the problem that bothers AA lol

The thing about charge/block that bothers me is that too frequently an offensive player has no legit path to the hoop but just bulls his way into a defender and gets the call. This isn't a defender fouling to prevent the player from making an offensive play; the foul is the offensive player's play. So yeah, the opposite of the problem that bothers AA lol
Oh that bothers me too. Abolish it! Ha!

Like I said in my previous post everyone has a right to their space on the floor until they do something illegal. So its also the defenders job to establish Legal Guarding Position (LGP) AND maintain it. LGP is two feet on the ground, torso facing the offensive player and within 6 feet of them. There's no time or distance needed to establish it so it can happen in an instant, which is why block/charge plays can be so difficult to get right without video review. And video review can only be triggered by certain plays, and for block/charge it has to be <2:00 and a matter of whether or not the secondary defender was outside the restricted arc. *Insider info* if there's a block/charge late game where the official is unsure, a lot of times they'll call a block and point to the restricted arc, so they're forced to go to video and can get it right. Look for that when you're watching games this season lol

But anyway that's a long winded way of saying in your scenario, if the defender isn't legal they don't get rewarded just because an offensive player runs into them lol

You know when I see the thread title I'm thinking it's a name of a band e.g. The Weekend, The 1975.
See the lonely boy, out on the weekend
Trying to make it pay
Can't relate to joy, he tries to speak and
Can't begin to say

Like I said in my previous post everyone has a right to their space on the floor until they do something illegal. So its also the defenders job to establish Legal Guarding Position (LGP) AND maintain it. LGP is two feet on the ground, torso facing the offensive player and within 6 feet of them. There's no time or distance needed to establish it so it can happen in an instant, which is why block/charge plays can be so difficult to get right without video review. And video review can only be triggered by certain plays, and for block/charge it has to be <2:00 and a matter of whether or not the secondary defender was outside the restricted arc. *Insider info* if there's a block/charge late game where the official is unsure, a lot of times they'll call a block and point to the restricted arc, so they're forced to go to video and can get it right. Look for that when you're watching games this season lol

But anyway that's a long winded way of saying in your scenario, if the defender isn't legal they don't get rewarded just because an offensive player runs into them lol
so imagine O with the ball headed to the rim, which is guarded by 2 bigs. D is giving ground in front of O, feet not set. O sees he can't get to the rim and his outside shot is as good as mine (nonexistent) so he just accelerates into D specifically intent on creating the contact. D is not in feet-set position because he's channeling O to his teammates, but is run over by O who has no other play.

Block or charge?

so imagine O with the ball headed to the rim, which is guarded by 2 bigs. D is giving ground in front of O, feet not set. O sees he can't get to the rim and his outside shot is as good as mine (nonexistent) so he just accelerates into D specifically intent on creating the contact. D is not in feet-set position because he's channeling O to his teammates, but is run over by O who has no other play.

Block or charge?
Depends; is it a home game or an away game? Just being provocative, LOL.

Block or charge?
It’s dangerous for referees to start judging intent. I don’t think that’s something we want to introduce to calling games.

What you describe sounds like it could be a non-call. But if there is any question and a call has to be made, then IMO the tie should go to the offense.

Back