The Road ahead

MarcusNation said:
VCU Finance 2008 said:
Rambunctious said:
So we play Friday - - big deal. Once Saturday gets here we are in the same boat as ODU - - win or you don't dance.

And every other team in the CAA for that matter. I think the bracketbuster weekend was the final nail in the coffin for a CAA at large bid.

This is not bad at all for a 5th seed.

Friday - Delaware
Saturday - George Mason
Sunday - Old Dominion
Monday Night - Northeastern

Last year we were the #1 seed and still had to play Ga State (who wasn't awful), ODU (who was rolling at the time), and Mason (who usually shows up in the finals). I could see Northeastern being upset and our road to the title not being much more difficult then it was last year aside from the 4th game. That doesn't mean it will be easy though, we don't have the same team as last year, but not as much as an uphill fight as you would expect for a 5 seed.

I love logic!!

Don't get me wrong, I would love to be the #1 seed. However, our toughest games over the past 3 years of being the number 1 seed were against 6th seed GMU in 07, 5th seed W&M in 07, and 4th seed ODU in 09. Now we have a chance to be the spoiler. Also while I feel like we are on the tougher side of the bracket for us Northeastern is on the same side of the bracket as all 3 teams that beat them during the regular season, so they could be ripe for an upset due to match up issues. If we can get out of Friday healthy then we have just as good a chance as anyone.

JacksonWard31 said:
Although I was proud of the Rams effort against ODU today, this season overall makes me want to vomit.

Go ahead, JW31. Just do it on your turf.

This could be a really good warmup for the NCAAs if I'm concerned for the Rams. We gotta go through 3 of the top teams in order to get into the dance...if we can pull that off, we deserve a spot in that 64 team tournament.

I think ODU is in as an at-large if they at least get to semi-finals. So at least CAA can get 2 teams in if somehow ODU's track record at the Coliseum continues. ;)

Just play one game at a time and FOCUS!!!

If I'm not mistaken that 6 seed GMU squad almost beat us in 2007 had it not been for Eric Maynor's single hand heroics...so clearly it can be done.

Natty said:
The road ahead should be fun.

The road through GMU, ODU, and NU would make a tounamant championship even sweeter.

It's tourney time. Don't sleep on Towson, Hofstra and GSU to pull some upsets. NU, GMU, and ODU are all beatable. The road is yet to be determined except Friday. Upsets will happen next weekend. VCU tourney champs and NCAA bound.

Neil Diamond (and The Hollies) said:
The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Who knows where
But I'm strong
Strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

So on we go

His welfare is of my concern
No burden is he to bear
We'll get there

For I know
He would not encumber me

If I'm laden at all
I'm laden with sadness
That everyone's heart
Isn't filled with the gladness
Of love for one another

It's a long, long road
From which there is no return
While we're on the way to there
Why not share

And the load
Doesn't weigh me down at all
He ain't heavy he's my brother

He's my brother

Kazie said:
This could be a really good warmup for the NCAAs if I'm concerned for the Rams. We gotta go through 3 of the top teams in order to get into the dance...if we can pull that off, we deserve a spot in that 64 team tournament.

I think ODU is in as an at-large if they at least get to semi-finals. So at least CAA can get 2 teams in if somehow ODU's track record at the Coliseum continues. ;)

Just play one game at a time and FOCUS!!!

ODU is not guaranteed a at large if they get to the semis. We were in a very similar situation a few years ago where if we made the finals we all believed we had a at large wrapped up but instead we loss in the semis. We were not even mentioned on selection day as a last team out after that. One person over on the Zone said ODU could lose Saturday and still get it. Thats bull. In the CAA there's no such thing as a guaranteed at large.

A chart came out a few years ago showing where the bids come from.
70% major conferences
30% mid major

Mid majors percentage has actually dropped lower in recent years as the selection committee looks more and more at major conferences

I think the bracket VCU is in is very favorable for them. Northeastern, Hofstra and Drexel are all in the opposite bracket. Hofstra might be the hottest team in the CAA right now. VCU just needs to not overlook Delaware Friday. Get through Friday and Mason is really headed in the wrong direction right now. I also think this VCU team playing Friday might be a good thing. It will give them a chance to get used to the Coliseum and all of the open space behind the baskets before taking on Mason Saturday.

I'm predicting a Hofstra/VCU matchup in the champinship game Monday night. The top 4 seeds will not make it to the championship game this year.

This.

Wolfpack Ram said:
I think the bracket VCU is in is very favorable for them. Northeastern, Hofstra and Drexel are all in the opposite bracket. Hofstra might be the hottest team in the CAA right now. VCU just needs to not overlook Delaware Friday. Get through Friday and Mason is really headed in the wrong direction right now. I also think this VCU team playing Friday might be a good thing. It will give them a chance to get used to the Coliseum and all of the open space behind the baskets before taking on Mason Saturday.

I'm predicting a Hofstra/VCU matchup in the champinship game Monday night. The top 4 seeds will not make it to the championship game this year.

JacksonWard31 said:
Although I was proud of the Rams effort against ODU today, this season overall makes me want to vomit.

I thought you said you would never watch a VCU ever again?

RRR said:
ODU is not guaranteed a at large if they get to the semis. We were in a very similar situation a few years ago where if we made the finals we all believed we had a at large wrapped up but instead we loss in the semis. We were not even mentioned on selection day as a last team out after that. One person over on the Zone said ODU could lose Saturday and still get it. Thats bull. In the CAA there's no such thing as a guaranteed at large.

70% major conferences
30% mid major

Mid majors percentage has actually dropped lower in recent years as the selection committee looks more and more at major conferences

Not sure about VCU's situation a few years ago, but since the pac 10 and sec are down this year, the mid majors have many more bids this year. If we win Saturday and lose Sunday...we are sweating hard selection sunday but in no way are we done or anything. And the committee is looking at many mid majors this year and not major conferences (See A-10 getting 5 teams)

Now should we get to Monday, we are almost a guarantee win or lose.

That 70 30 number is also pretty random from a chart you saw a few years ago...as mids get maybe 18% (give or take 2 bids each year) on a yearly basis.

Wolfpack Ram said:

You beat me to it. That is EXACTLY how I see it.

As for ODU and their at-large, I think they have to get to the finals. I don't think they will. We handled them at home by 12 and we were in the game at ODU, on senior night, at the last shot. We have beaten them and can again. Their profile is not as strong as they make it out to be. The only thing they hang their hat on is the Georgetown win. But they have a losing record against Top 50 teams and are only 0.500 against Top 100 teams. Not great. (in fact, we have a much better Top 50 and Top 100 profile, but a couple of our losses put us out of contention) A loss in the semis might put them in the "last four out".

They are doing nothing but talking about Larry's game on their board. Larry plays different in games that really matter. I just hope someone is printing those comments and gives them to Larry, just before the game, if we play them again.

I love how the brackets worked out. The only difference in coming in 4th or 5th is the game on Friday. History has shown that almost everyone struggles in first few minutes of their first game at the RC. Different sight-lines, bigger building, etc. Plus get this, one player told me that he would rather play on Friday because a game against a lower seed would be EASIER than going through a day of practice. So, overall the game on Friday will give us a chance to get comfortable in a building we have not played in since last year. It should be less of an energy strain than practice. And the second game will be against a team that we handled well and blew a lead on the road. We have done well this year in revenge games. That moves us to ODU, see above.

As for a game four, we are deep, and if you can't get up for a Championship game, then you should not even be there. The other bracket is going to be a slug-fest (I'm looking forward to those games!) and who knows who comes out of that bracket to the game on Monday.

I like our chances. This is going to be fun.

I guess i disagree with ya'll Rick and Wolfpack, I would much rather play those teams. Nonetheless, I'm also excited to go through Delaware, GMU, ODU if it plays out that way. WE IN IT!

Hassell4Prez said:
RRR said:

70% major conferences
30% mid major

Not sure about VCU's situation a few years ago, but since the pac 10 and sec are down this year, the mid majors have many more bids this year. If we win Saturday and lose Sunday...we are sweating hard selection sunday but in no way are we done or anything. And the committee is looking at many mid majors this year and not major conferences (See A-10 getting 5 teams)

Now should we get to Monday, we are almost a guarantee win or lose.

That 70 30 number is also pretty random from a chart you saw a few years ago...as mids get maybe 18% (give or take 2 bids each year) on a yearly basis.

Like I said the number for mid major has now dropped. That doesn't help ODU's chances of a at large. In 2008 after the selection there was a chart of 70-30 put up to explain the amount of bids for major vs mid major(30 seemed high to me considering how many mid majors were left out). Now that's down to maybe 20s if lucky now. If ODU loses Saturday that would kill them. The person on the Zone who said ODU could just lose the tournament and get in is nuts. This isn't the Big East or ACC where you can blow it on purpose if you wanted and still be in the NCAA tourney. ODU would at least have to make it to Sunday. If ODU loses Sunday they have a chance. If they lose Monday they have a good chance. Sadly, the selection committee doesn't seem to care about down conferences though because they still rob teams of their spots every year for some crap team. ODU could easily end up one of those robbed teams if they loss Sunday like VCU did a few years back.

vcubanana said:
I guess i disagree with ya'll Rick and Wolfpack, I would much rather play those teams. Nonetheless, I'm also excited to go through Delaware, GMU, ODU if it plays out that way. WE IN IT!

Here is why-
HU has won 9 of their last 10, and the last 6 in a row, including beating DU, NU. They go to the final, IMO.
GSU just has too much talent. If they put together a good game, they will win.
DU is DU, hot and cold
JMU is playing well, and has a couple of players that scare me.
NU beat us twice
W&M just gives us problems.

I like our bracket.

Back