Time better spent

Ramdog

Elite Member
For the players...Go to class... get in the weight room...work on individual skills (Larry can meet with his agent)
Why in the heck would we play in this "pay for play" Tourney?
I am sure this is covered in other threads but I didn’t feel like wading thru to find them.

I may be the minority on this but I think that NIT should be the only tourney to play if not in the big dance. Save the money for much more important things than playing in a crap tourney. Have some pride for Gods sake.

Concur! Pride should count. Obviously we continue to get no respect. The NIT should have been the lowest level of playing in the off season. Now we accept the CBI? We have to pay to play, on the road? I won't second guess the athletic department's wisdom, but if you think a recruit wants to come to VCU because you made the CBI, give me a break! Sometimes pride counts. I am sure I am wrong as will be pointed out by someone, and maybe its just the emotion going on right now, but this certainly is a low point in VCU athletic accomplishments, getting snubbed once again by the NCAA. Why the heck do they even have an RPI when the selection committee is so biased against mid majors?

I will cheer the rams on to victory, even if its the CBI, but this still sucks!!!!

Before we get all bent out of shape, has anyone confirmed that road teams have to pay?

As a retired educator, I am sure a lot of the players are behind in their school work. At this point, let's call it a season, catch up with studies, and start preparing for next year.

Just verified, no fee required to play on the road.

Ramdog said:
Money & time will be spent...

Agreed...and if you are going to play, play to win. Playing the CBI will give us valuable post-season experience which hopefully carries over into next year as it may have arguably done for ODU this year. Win it and win it convincingly.

Again, ODU won the other one last year. They lost to UVA in this thing 2 years ago.

VCU4LIFE said:
Again, ODU won the other one last year. They lost to UVA in this thing 2 years ago.

Not according to the web site. My guess is that ODU was in the CIT.

Ramdog said:
Why in the heck would we play in this "pay for play" Tourney?
I am sure this is covered in other threads but I didn’t feel like wading thru to find them.

I may be the minority on this but I think that NIT should be the only tourney to play if not in the big dance.

I'm right there with you. Some of the same people who made fun of ODU for being in one of these last year are now happy VCU is in it. I can't sign on for that. Waste of time and money.

For me, there's the NCAA Tournament, and next year.

fmrick said:
VCU4LIFE said:

Not according to the web site. My guess is that ODU was in the CIT.

ODU was in the CIT last year(its first year) and in the CBI the year before(its first year)

Let the boys finish up the school semester. Whats the point of the CBI or CIT?

Also the NIT is not the next best 'what ever' number of teams. Its an additional NCAA revenue stream, that's all!

Biggest disapointment is that a couple more conference games go our way and we could have been one of the last teams into the NCAA!

JMU, GMU, Drexel cost us big time :cry:

A bigger truth could not be said. All we ever need to do is win. However, this team needs the experience of tournament play. We need to win the CBI and take the CAA next year, all is well in RAMNATION.

I agree. This tournament is a waste of time. The games we probably get on our side of the bracket, if we win, are GW, Charleston and St. Louis. If Larry Sanders can't get motivated to play JMU and ODU at the end of the season, how is he going to get motivated for these teams?

Regarding the NIT, I thought is was a better system since the NCAA took over the tournament. Yesterday proved that wrong. I'm an NC State fan, due to two of my kids going there. How they got an NIT bid vs. VCU has me totally perplexed. This makes the second time the NIT has totally screwed VCU. The last time was Mack McCarthy's last year here when we lost to ODU in the CAA finals and went 21-11.

Back