Time for a trip to Lowes . . .

I've said this before. If Larry wants to take 3's there is a time. When we're up by double digits and the other team isn't mounting a comeback and he wants to loft a few. Fine. But what happened last night is exactly what he shouldn't do. Taking them when we're down and in the process of mounting a comeback. Of all the things last night, that stuck out most in my mind as the nail in our coffin, we never recovered after it. KP is much more physical and may have done better at staying inside against NU.

I am sooo tired of LS and company not stying in the paint I can not see straight. We now have 3 bigs to dominate in the paint and all we did was play the parimiter, WTF are we thinking? Let the guards do thier jobs and keep the bigs where they belong or it is going to be a very long season from here on. The other schools now know what we are about and are starting to exploit it. We have the talent to win the confrence this year if we go back to the basics, bigs in, guards out.

VCULee said:
Plenty of people in the house yell "Nooooo" when Sanders has the ball on the perimeter. Visions of Renardo Dixon... Ugh.

Part of the East section was yelling "Don't you dare" while part of it was yelling "Come on Larry HIT IT!!" Also funny someone said Larry's twitter last night said he played for VCU and the NBA doesn't matter right now because trying to impress the NBA scouts would be the only possible excuse for those threes last night. Especially the momentum killer at the end.

I thought this was going to be about buying gold chain again. Might not be too bad of an idea. We're only as good as our weakest link, as evident last night. Joey played his butt off, as did Skeen, Rozz and a couple others. Larry played like a bum with no desire to win, and it brought the team down. They need to learn to play together and show some heart/desire AS A TEAM. Too many guys get the ball and just shoot instead of looking for the next pass/ an open man. If we could make that extra pass I believe our FG % would rise. Too many times guys like Larry, Jay and TJ get the ball and put it up, regardless of shot selection and if their team mates are open. If I have time, I'm getting the gold chain link before our trip to Philly.

OK, who will ask Coach Smart these questions, assuming they open up the floor for questions, during his first coach's show on Thursday night? I would like to hear the answers. But I bet no one will step up to the plate and ask tough questions of coach, right? No one ever asked Grant any tough questions. We, as supporters, should ask these questions. Who will??

Larry played like a bum with no desire to win,

lead the team in scoring and rebounding...might be just a little harsh. how about you didnt like his positoning and shot selection...which might be on Coach Smart

PhantomRam said:
OK, who will ask Coach Smart these questions, assuming they open up the floor for questions, during his first coach's show on Thursday night? I would like to hear the answers. But I bet no one will step up to the plate and ask tough questions of coach, right? No one ever asked Grant any tough questions. We, as supporters, should ask these questions. Who will??
Go to the darn show and ask whatever you want. Personally I have no questions. I am sure the coaches spend much more time thinking about this stuff then we do. There is nothing that I can ask him that he probably hasn't already asked himself 10 times already.

I have said it before, and I will say it again, we need to play as a team with LEADERSHIP. Leadership by commity is just not working, we need someone to take this team and lead it in the right direction.

myrtlebeachramfan said:
VCULee said:
Plenty of people in the house yell "Nooooo" when Sanders has the ball on the perimeter. Visions of Renardo Dixon... Ugh.

funny, exactly what I yelled last night
There were five us yelling NOOOOO down here in Naples, FL too. I imagine we had Rams fans yelling no all over the US on that shot! The minute he took the shot I knew we were done.

Rambler said:
myrtlebeachramfan said:
VCULee said:

funny, exactly what I yelled last night
There were five us yelling NOOOOO down here in Naples, FL too. I imagine we had Rams fans yelling no all over the US on that shot! The minute he took the shot I knew we were done.

I was in my office, by myself, standing up, staring at my computer screen, entirely sober and doing exactly the same. :lol:

Last night was an utterly ridiculous performance. Period. And you can apply that across the board- out-coached, out-hustled, out-shot, out-rebounded (after first 7 or 8 minutes), out everything. but most notably- out-smarted, pun definitely intended. Pathetic.

The 3 biggest things I took from last night were this: First, Larry crushed us last night. What a terrible performance, and the least intelligent game he has ever played. We are in trouble if he continues down this path, and if he doesn't change his attitude, he belongs on the pine with Saintil & Skeen taking the minutes. Second, there was ZERO team last night. Zero. We had 10 or 11 heroes, and it all added up to a big fat ZERO. And third, and lastly, why is it that every time someone on this team gets hot, Smart yanks them right out of the game? And why is it that EVERY SINGLE time that we go on a run, or even a mni-run (all he will allow), he pulls the whole damned team, and replaces them. Then when the originals come back in, they are ice cold. ie... B-Rozz last night. I've never seen a guy get that hot, and get yanked. Coach took him out of the game, almost single-handedly. He was never the same. No on on this team can even remotely get comfortable with the current rotation.

I know we are all easy when we are winning, and sure- it's easy to get upset when we lose. Our record is still solid. But we are now 1-2 in CAA play, and already in trouble- conference wise. A lot of hard work in achieving this record is for naught. And anyone who knows anything about college basketball has been seeing this coming on. Well, last night was the culmination. The sub patterns have gotten worse and worse, and it may be somewhat justifiable when you're playing Bethune Cookman, or even a Towsen, with a big lead. But last night was the real deal. The big leagues. And the coach got his A$$ handed to him. I hope this will be a lesson.

For the record.... I thought Joey was a serious stud last night. He gave it everything he had, and if they all played like him.... we win that one. He is a team player right now. Don't know about several of the others.

While extremely disappointed in team's performance last night I want to give the benefit of the doubt that players and coaches had a let down and both will learn from it?

There were a lot of upper classmen [jr./sr.] not stepping up, not playing tough and not using judgement with shot selection--things they know from HS coaches, let alone VCU's present coaches. There was a clear lack of realization of quality/depth of opposition, which does fall on coaching. Our staff didn't prepare our guys for their flex offense, and I don't believe realized the depth of NE physical play.

Bottom line: both could have done better. I hope both learn. We can't repeat these mistakes at this point in the season and going forward.

PS
I need to see how many foul shots we took. The ref.'s did a good job. My point: teams that penetrate off the dribble and pound the ball inside get more fouls. It also reflects toughness, or lack of in the face of tough D..which causes timid teams to jack up the J. It's the path of least resistance.

Back