Time for a trip to Lowes . . .

ramband

Insider
. . . and pick up a 10 foot rope. Tie one end to the basket and the other end to Larry! I can't believe coach is allowing this. Larry is trying to be something he is not. Someone needs to go into his room and tear down the Larry Bird, and Dirk Nowitzki Posters and replace with Big Ben Wallace and Shaq, cause someones got it in his head that he needs to be outside. It was cute the first time, I laughed and had a good time with it. Now its getting old and causing problems for this team.

How about booing his 22 ft shots (whether he makes them or not)? It's cheaper than rope! Cheering and booing...that's how fans communicate their pleasure and displeasure with a team/coach. Right now the place goes wild when he makes 1 (out of 4).

Rambunctious said:
How about booing his 22 ft shots (whether he makes them or not)? It's cheaper than rope! Cheering and booing...that's how fans communicate their pleasure and displeasure with a team/coach. Right now the place goes wild when he makes 1 (out of 4).
We've done this for a few games now, with no success.

It sure feels worse than 1-4.

Some might be booing, but not the majority of the arena. There are way more people cheering near me than booing. Also, his stat line says he makes 25%, which is 1 out of 4 - - still that sucks. You'd think when you are the worst on the team at a particular shot you wouldn't take it anymore. Conversely, when you are the best on the team at something (inside shots), you'd want to take those. I don't get it.

TJ has the same issue. He is shooting 28% from 3 and he keeps firing them up too.

All of these posters on the boards that say they have no problem with Larry shooting 3's is also getting old. They need to take a class in basketball 101. You have a 6'11" post player with a wing span of a 747 jet that can't make himself stay in the paint on both offense and defense. Why is Sanders defending at the top of the key in the half court? His playing out of position is hurting the rest of the team on both offense and defense. Particularly on defense when TJ is in the game. TJ can't cover the paint while Larry is out at th etop of the key. Sanders got schooled last night physically and mentally by Adako. Last night should have been his wakeup call big time.

ramband said:
. . . and pick up a 10 foot rope. Tie one end to the basket and the other end to Larry! I can't believe coach is allowing this. Larry is trying to be something he is not. Someone needs to go into his room and tear down the Larry Bird, and Dirk Nowitzki Posters and replace with Big Ben Wallace and Shaq, cause someones got it in his head that he needs to be outside. It was cute the first time, I laughed and had a good time with it. Now its getting old and causing problems for this team.
the problem is he can't be a shaq. He doesn't nearly have the size. He needs to bulk up to be able to completely dominate people inside. But I sure would like to see him try...because if you looked at his body language towards the end of the game last night it looked like he gave up.

So many times on offense we would have no players down low at all... not just not in the paint, but all 5 out at or beyond the 3 pt line... it wasn't just Larry, but also Terrance, TJ, and Skeen. I can understand that the big guys have to come out to set screens sometimes, but it seems like we spend more time with outside screening than we do attempting to establish inside position. Other teams can no doubt see this from scouting, and will let... maybe even encourage our bigs to float out there and take lower percentage shots since it means that the likely misses will be easier for them to rebound with the bigs absent.

I realize Larry, with his thinness and wingspan, doesn't have the low center of gravity needed to hip-check himself into position (why he has to lower his shoulder like when called for the charge), but to leverage his arm-length advantage he has got to be closer than 20 feet away. He also needs to learn to use the explosive quickness he sometimes shows on oops and put-backs on those occasions when he has to make his own shot... that long hesitation/pause he does doesn't seem to have an upside

As for Larry's 3s... there are occasions when his taking one might make sense, but those occasions should be, by design, rare (and also probably only occur when somebody else has a better opportunity). Simply being left open on the perimeter isn't a good enough reason unless you shoot 'em better than 33%.

Sanders got schooled last night physically and mentally by Adako. Last night should have been his wakeup call big time.

This

Plenty of people in the house yell "Nooooo" when Sanders has the ball on the perimeter. Visions of Renardo Dixon... Ugh.

VCULee said:
Plenty of people in the house yell "Nooooo" when Sanders has the ball on the perimeter. Visions of Renardo Dixon... Ugh.

Good one. Renardo Dixon = Larry Sanders...:lol:

artRAMinMN said:
So many times on offense we would have no players down low at all... not just not in the paint, but all 5 out at or beyond the 3 pt line... it wasn't just Larry, but also Terrance, TJ, and Skeen. I can understand that the big guys have to come out to set screens sometimes, but it seems like we spend more time with outside screening than we do attempting to establish inside position.

A lot of that is because they are running a lot of a 1-4 high offense. This great, I use it frequently, but the key is not only the 4 and 5 setting the high ball screen but also flashing off of the high ball screen and landing down through the paint or across the baseline. Our 4's and 5's are setting the high ball screens and the peeling off like a guard and staying high, this to me is the problem with how we are running the 1/4. with Larry's height and reach I think this great, but he has to flash off that screen low NOT high!

hold on. first off Coach Coen was able to get his guys to execute what he wanted to do. Coach Smart, not so much. NU was able to get Larry out of position and open up the paint by having the guy he was guarding run outside. We play press man to man so Larry followed his guy outside. NU then threw the ball inside where Larry was out of position to block the shot and get the rebound. Nice coaching by NU. Our guys needed to switch more on D to kept Larry indside and to let their big men have the ball at the 3pt line where the cannot shoot.

Second of all NU's bigs were pushing Larry out of position by using their physical nature of play. All would have been different if we were hitting from the outside or if our guards would have tried to dish instead of throwing up wild layups when driving into the lane. NU is too physical for Larry to create his own shot. We would probably be better served to play a bigger line-up against them next time, i.e. Joey, Brad, TJ, Jamie and Larry as starters. Have Brandon sub for Joey, Ed for Brad, Big T for Jamie and then work Jay, Theus and KP in when possible.

But the nature and style of ball that we play will lead us into games like this on occassions. We are best when we make baskets and then press. If we are cold from the floor we cannot press and things get a little dicey for us.

Onto Drexel.

I just find it interesting that, according to the Comcast announcers, Larry never attempted a 3 before this season. It just shows you the difference in coaching styles between Grant and Smart. Had Larry pulled this crap last season he would have been seeing a lot more of the bench and a whole lot more of Grant in his face.

D-Hoesevelt said:
I just find it interesting that, according to the Comcast announcers, Larry never attempted a 3 before this season. It just shows you the difference in coaching styles between Grant and Smart. Had Larry pulled this crap last season he would have been seeing a lot more of the bench and a whole lot more of Grant in his face.

Fools Gold

D-Hoesevelt said:

larry is 4 for 16 through 12 games this season and 0 for 0 in the 66 games before this season. I dont know when he decided to be a big time shooter but its been old for a while. whenever he squares up from the perimeter i put my hands over my face in shame. he could be scoring 20 a game and becoming a potential all american if he wasnt looking for the tre.

on a positive though, hes averaging over 4 blocks a game in the last 3 games and 3+ on the year...our bigs got served by adako last night but I saw larry cause a lot of shots turn into passes or blocks last night.

Back