Players Tobi Lawal transferring to Virginia Tech

The vertical graphic TV broadcasts kept showing was for the NBA combine. Unlike the NFL combine, there are a lot of guys that don't attend it that aren't invited that make rosters, so the numbers are skewed. Obviously his vertical is still elite, but the highest in NBA history isn't necessarily true.

Has he really shown the ability to develop? Or has he just gotten better in his role? What did Tobi show us this year that he wasn't doing his freshman year? A lot of dunks, OReb due his vertical and motor, help side blocks, etc. all of which he was doing year 1, just in less volume. His skillset hasn't changed at all. He became a much better FT shooter but that's not getting you a contract.

He's Derrick Jones Jr. without the ability to handle the ball and score outside of 7 ft. And this isn't hate directed at Tobi (I've been saying this all year), but objectively, the NBA is still a long shot. NBA wants potential yeah, but IMO he hasn't shown the potential to play at that level. At his size he can't strictly be a lob threat. Unless he develops around the perimeter he'll get a late 2nd round or undrafted G-League deal and a summer league roster spot
I can’t find any record online of an NBA player with a vertical over 48”. Tobi’s been recorded at 1.5” higher. Sure maybe some player had a vert higher than that and their godly vert just happened to have never been measured lol. He’s developed - smarter, faster, better anticipation and understanding of the game. Improved FTs matter for someone who will hang around the rim, and it shows an ability to develop his shot. Late 2nd round/G-league is a chance so I guess we don’t disagree after all. I’m happy to put money down that Tobi makes an NBA roster at some point.

I can’t find any record online of an NBA player with a vertical over 48”. Tobi’s been recorded at 1.5” higher. Sure maybe some player had a vert higher than that and their godly vert just happened to have never been measured lol. He’s developed - smarter, faster, better anticipation and understanding of the game. Improved FTs matter for someone who will hang around the rim, and it shows an ability to develop his shot. Late 2nd round/G-league is a chance so I guess we don’t disagree after all. I’m happy to put money down that Tobi makes an NBA roster at some point.
NBA drafts on potential all the time. Tobi will get a shot.

If Tobi can develop his game to where you can give him the ball on the perimeter and he can get into the lane on his own, he could get a shot at the next level. Plenty of decent pros who can’t shoot worth a lick but can get to the basket. Easier said than done of course.

Why do you feel for Tobi? He'll be making several hundred grand to dunk the ball when he sees the floor. Although Tobi has a lot of upside, I suspect he will be in the same shoes as Hasan and DeLoach their first year in the big leagues. But one of Tobi's main weaknesses is dribbling the ball down low. He dribbles it 3-4 ft away from him and about 4 ft high for each dribble. If a player is on his back, he can keep the ball away but he is very prone to turning it over trying to dribble that far away from his body and so high in the air. He needs to really work on that in the low post. Wish him the best of luck. Will be sorry to see him go.
Now we are in serious need of a strong big down low.
I feel for the male fan.
I don't know anything about Tobi's situation.

Last edited:
Can Ramnation help me make this happen?

2024-04-18-130133.jpg

Tobi's departure hurt. But anyone heard anything regarding Michael Belle?

To me, if we manage to keep Bam, Zeb and Belle, then we got something.

Tobi's departure hurt. But anyone heard anything regarding Michael Belle?

To me, if we manage to keep Bam, Zeb and Belle, then we got something.
Only good news we've heard was that Joe & Zeb plan to return (which, nothing is set in stone until at least May 1st.

As we saw with both Tobi & even more so Max..... just when you think you're "safe".... you're caught off guard.

To me, shooting starts with free throws. If the kid can improve from 29% to 67% in one year, that gives me hope that (with a lot of work and reps) he can develop a competent perimeter game. He even took a few threes this season. So I definitely think he can develop his shooting which is going to be vital for not only to get into the pros but if he's advancing to a P6 school.

Like I said previously, he has a lot he needs to work on. But he has some natural attributes you just can't teach. Plus he's relatively new to the game. If Tobi came out of the AAU factory and this was the result, I might be a little skeptical. If his work ethic is on point, I really think he has the potential to get to the league.

And keep in mind, he doesn't need to have all-NBA potential. He just needs to find a niche. Heck, if Jacob Gilyard can get in the league why not Tobi?

How do Lawal's sophomore stats compare with the revered Mo'nan's .... pretty close, I'd guess .... how about large people Santos-Silva, Justin Tillman, who went on to become headliners? Lawal was LaWoW in many ways.

Only good news we've heard was that Joe & Zeb plan to return (which, nothing is set in stone until at least May 1st.

As we saw with both Tobi & even more so Max..... just when you think you're "safe".... you're caught off guard.
I saw a txeet (and not sure how credible the source), but it seemed to list Bam as having declared for the draft, but keeping his eligibility (and no portal mention). I can see why he might do this (extra guidance), and how it doesn't necessarily contradict his previous statements about coming back... but I still hadn't heard the draft part.... anyone else know anything more about that?

Is there a fan Portal? Losing favorite players/coaches is hard on a longtime fan.
Think I'll enter portal and fan for the Division II Nova Southeastern University Sharks next year.
Successful (68-3 last 2 years); "Havoc-ish" defense; only 4 coaches in last 40 years.
A friend of mine is their head coach. Great coach and great guy.

Very sad but not surprised. But let's keep this in perspective. Tobi was a great role player who had the potential to be more if he worked on a lot of aspects of his game, i.e. shooting, ball handling, moves in the paint. He was great at what he did and he was HUGE for us in playing out of position filling our big man void. I also loved the fact that he played hard every game.

He brought an element that will be impossible to replace but we can't react as if Kobe just left the building. Wish him well and keep it moving. There's more to basketball than an insane vertical. There are a ton of others players who don't jump as high but are more skilled.

But I'm not gonna lie, I thought he had the potential to be really, really good at some point. Like I said previously, I started worrying about him after the Memphis game.
Like you said a couple weeks ago, we didn't have one guy that would make or break us next year. Hate losing him, but we'll be fine. In addition, can't blame a guy for going into the portal in today's game.

Back