BigE

Elite Member
total tournament attendance

Re: TOURNAMANT ATTENDANCE

BigE said:
Rambler said:
BigE said:
total tournament attendance
How does that stack up to previous years?

attendance record

I would certainly expect a good attendance record this year.

1. grudge match with VCU-GMU on Sat, a battle between two in state schools (albeit not a major rivalry IMO)
2. Biggest rivalry in the state and the CAA on Sunday evening between two instate schools, VCU - ODU
3. An in state final between a top program in ODU and a school that has the COY (cough, cough) and is just an hour down the road in WM.

BradRamFan said:
I would certainly expect a good attendance record this year.

1. grudge match with VCU-GMU on Sat, a battle between two in state schools (albeit not a major rivalry IMO)
2. Biggest rivalry in the state and the CAA on Sunday evening between two instate schools, VCU - ODU
3. An in state final between a top program in ODU and a school that has the COY (cough, cough) and is just an hour down the road in WM.
Not only that, but VCU playing on Friday brought some additional fans in as well. Is there any way that many people would attend if the tourney was held in Baltimore? I seriously doubt it.

VCU Finance 2008 said:
Is there any way that many people would attend if the tourney was held in Baltimore? I seriously doubt it.

Is there that many fans that would or COULD attend the tournament at the Patriot Center. Let's see 10,000 capacity times 4 days equals 40,000 paid attendance IF every seat in the house is sold every day. Oh and what about the restaurants and bars in Fairfax, God Almighty. Great, if you like chains.

Litos writes a great rebuttal to the naysayers, and while nothing new I just get sick and tired of reading the pure unmitigated horse manure that is posted on CAAZone every year about the tournament. Oh well, just another reason not to go there. CAAZone that is, not the tourney.

I just finished watching:
The PAC 10 Tourney (been in LA since its beginning)
The WAC in Reno on Nevada's home floor
The MWC in Las Vegas on UNLV''s home floor

Go to www.caahoops.com for a great essay on why to stay in Richmond by Litos. Also has a link to a Hofstra fan's experience, and a great take on being an "out of towner" (and loving it).

My only gripe...well 2 gripes actually.

1. the richmond coliseum is pretty run down and needs a major overhaul (unfortunately I don't see Richmond doing anything to rectify the situation - it will come back to haunt them in a few years I believe)
2. CAA TV coverage is abysmal. Even the Big South had more national coverage of their tournament than we did.

And until the old AE teams start to domi9nat the CAA, I don't see a reason to move it. And a move to Norfolk or DC would only be to placate teams like JMU/GMU/ODU/WM, and perhaps towson. Not sure it would increase attendance numbers (although Norfolk may have a very good showing as they are the only game in town down there).

Next year will be bigger and better. Yet the yammering from the zone continues. Know what the big thing over there is now? We can't grow the CAA brand big enough and fast enough in Richmond. :roll:

Did anyone see the paper today? They announced the attendance figures for the A10. UR said they averaged over 5900 fans per home game. :shock: How can you believe anything that comes out of that west end school?

Back