Tulane Broadcast

enonram

Elite Member
I gave this a 48 hours before posting.

If you listened to the Tulane broadcasters on channelsurfing, they said that was their best performance so far.

I found that rather interesting commentary not so much on what they were doing, but what does that say about the defense we were playing? So far, Tulane has played very poorly this year and they get their best performance against us. Do you think they just were clicking or does our defense need tweaking?

Anytime your opponent nearly erases a 15 point lead in the second half, especially when prior opponents managed to do the same thing...you have a defensive problem.

It's not them, its us.

They've beaten GMU and Penn St., so is their best performance actually a negative thing? Although, Shaka said himself that he thought that we regressed in terms of team defense against Tulane. Take it for what it's worth...we didn't play particularly well against a mediocre team and got out of there with a win.

Against Tulane and Western Michigan we played great defense at times and build double digit leads, then we let up and all of a sudden they looked like the LA Lakers. Even William & Mary. I don't think it was Tulane's best performance of the season, but it probably was their best 5 or 10 min run of the season and I would say that is more because of us letting up, giving them a few easy buckets and it snowballing from there. We can't let teams hang with us then go on a run and build momentum. We have to play with the same intensity when we are up 10 as we would when we are down 10 and really step on their throats.

Imagine that, the other team actually tries to win the game too! When we go up by 15, they should just bend over and take it and give up!!!

VCU4LIFE said:
Imagine that, the other team actually tries to win the game too! When we go up by 15, they should just bend over and take it and give up!!!

Yeah I agree, but when it turns into a trend it has to be something wrong with us

VCU4LIFE said:

That would be great actually. Seriously though if we could get a couple of defensive stops when they start to make a run then it might break their will rather than them getting a couple of buckets and building confidence. It is easy to relax up 17, and being early in the season that is some what understandable. I am sure now that they have seen those leads get chipped away it will be on their minds the next time they have a lead and a chance to put a team away early in the second half.

With that said we are off to our best start in years. Just need to finish off the OOC slate against ECU and climb the CAA ladder right to the top. I don't see any reason that we can't.

Our issue was that we gave them too many possessions when we got up by 17 with about 10 to play. That is when we have to slow down (a little bit) and allow the clock to become our friend. Ed and Brad had 2 horrible (unforced) turnovers with ~4 minutes to go that gave Tulane the life they needed.

Back