Tyler Locklear's march to the Majors thread!!

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
So the season ended pretty well (all things considered) and the Coach Stiffler thing stinks (but, happy for him and his Family)....so now we come to the MLB Draft this weekend and can anticipate Tyler Locklear's name being called pretty early. A few other Rams could hear their name called as well.
Highest ever Ram picked was Brandon (Future Ram Coach?) Inge in '98 (2nd round pick)

Locklear is generally in the Top 100-ish range....so maybe we can hope for anything between Rounds 2-4? College power bat 1B have seen a spike these last bunch of years as MLB Power Hitting is at a premium.

latest write up on Tyler Locklear (reads like most of the others)

Tyler Locklear, 3B, Virginia Commonwealth

Locklear walked more than he struck out this year for the Rams by nearly a 2:1 ratio while leading the team with 20 homers, posting a .402/.542/.799 line (thanks to 23 times he was hit by a pitch as well), although most of his production came against the weaker pitching of the Atlantic 10 conference. He’s got an extremely compact swing with a short, direct path to the ball, and rarely swung and missed this year at any sort of pitching. He also hasn’t faced much quality pitching, barely seeing anything over 92 mph and doing far less damage when he did, and his results on the Cape last summer with a wood bat were quite different — 32 strikeouts and six walks in 141 PA, but with nine homers, tying Chase DeLauter for the league lead. He’s played third at VCU and probably moves to first base, so he’ll have to continue to hit for average and power as he faces better competition in pro ball.

Chase DeLauter (JMU) is basically a 1st round lock....still hoping my Phils draft TL!!!

So the season ended pretty well (all things considered) and the Coach Stiffler thing stinks (but, happy for him and his Family)....so now we come to the MLB Draft this weekend and can anticipate Tyler Locklear's name being called pretty early. A few other Rams could hear their name called as well.
Highest ever Ram picked was Brandon (Future Ram Coach?) Inge in '98 (2nd round pick)

Locklear is generally in the Top 100-ish range....so maybe we can hope for anything between Rounds 2-4? College power bat 1B have seen a spike these last bunch of years as MLB Power Hitting is at a premium.

latest write up on Tyler Locklear (reads like most of the others)

Tyler Locklear, 3B, Virginia Commonwealth

Locklear walked more than he struck out this year for the Rams by nearly a 2:1 ratio while leading the team with 20 homers, posting a .402/.542/.799 line (thanks to 23 times he was hit by a pitch as well), although most of his production came against the weaker pitching of the Atlantic 10 conference. He’s got an extremely compact swing with a short, direct path to the ball, and rarely swung and missed this year at any sort of pitching. He also hasn’t faced much quality pitching, barely seeing anything over 92 mph and doing far less damage when he did, and his results on the Cape last summer with a wood bat were quite different — 32 strikeouts and six walks in 141 PA, but with nine homers, tying Chase DeLauter for the league lead. He’s played third at VCU and probably moves to first base, so he’ll have to continue to hit for average and power as he faces better competition in pro ball.

Chase DeLauter (JMU) is basically a 1st round lock....still hoping my Phils draft TL!!!
We've actually had three first rounders:

Bill Smith, 1st round (21st overall), Yankees, 1984
Matt Burch, 1st round (30th overall), Royals, 1998
Justin Orenduff, 1st round (33rd overall), Dodgers, 2004

None of those guys actually made the bigs. Orenduff made it as far as AAA, but his career was derailed by injuries.

We've actually had three first rounders:

Bill Smith, 1st round (21st overall), Yankees, 1984
Matt Burch, 1st round (30th overall), Royals, 1998
Justin Orenduff, 1st round (33rd overall), Dodgers, 2004

None of those guys actually made the bigs. Orenduff made it as far as AAA, but his career was derailed by injuries.

Thanks Man....I'm sorry I missed that...I need to baseballreference better :D

Thanks Man....I'm sorry I missed that...I need to baseballreference better :D
Baseball Reference is terrific, but if you click on VCU from Inge's bio, it only shows you the VCU guys who made the majors at the top. If you scroll down it does give you a list of all pros in their database, but I don't know if it allows you to sort their draft database by school.

Yep, really interested to see where his first stop is. Unsurprisingly the Mariners minor leagues affiliates are all on the west coast outside of their AA team in Arkansas which operates in the Texas League so would not be traveling anywhere in our direction.

---

Last edited:
His slot comes in around 1.28 Million....so that's cool.

Very happy for TL...I'm sure his Family and Teammates are beyond excited. 58th overall is pretty sweet.

On a separate note, my Phils were one pick away from (possibly) drafting JMU's Cahse DeLauter (OF)....would've been cool. Regardless, they got Carl Crawford's kid Justin Crawford.

Should see a few more Rams go in the later rounds...Nolan Wilson, maybe AJ Mathis

Back