UR's Post-Game Comments (Mooney, Gonzalvez, Anderson)

districtballer

Elite Member
Well the entirety of the post-game press conference for UR's guys was posted by Richmond Spiders. Here is the full video clip. You can see how visibly pissed off Gonzalvez was that they lost. You could tell he was biting his tongue after a lot of his comments, especially when it came to Sanders. Mooney was pretty incredulous too when asked what he needs to do to beat VCU...he really didn't have an answer. :lol:
Any Richmond fan that tries to claim that this loss didn't matter and VCU doesn't matter needs to listen to this. These guys were devastated that they lost this game. UR coach Chris Mooney recognized VCU as "our biggest non-conference game.", according to the Times-Dispatch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvlAHHX9Ni8&NR=1

Enjoy!

I will at least say that they are pretty well-spoken, more so than some of our players (Joey and Bradford seem like the most well-spoken as far as press conferences go) but it did seem as though they were pretty heartbroken about the loss, especially Gonzalvez. I feel for them, it hurt as a fan to see us blow big leads against a lesser WM team and a good W&M team, both games we could have easily won, as the Spiders could have won the B&BC had we not come out of the locker room pissed and ready to continue our reign as the best of Richmond. Hats off to the the Spiders for a valiant effort though, and I hope they win a bunch of games this season, namely Florida and SC, as it will help us this year and make next year's game that much more exciting...

what is up with the mustache Gonzalvez is growing did he have a fight with his razor the morning before the game???

Whoooosh said:
I will at least say that they are pretty well-spoken, more so than some of our players (Joey and Bradford seem like the most well-spoken as far as press conferences go) but it did seem as though they were pretty heartbroken about the loss, especially Gonzalvez.

We recruit guys to win basketball games, not to be the best at talking about losses.

Whoooosh said:
I will at least say that they are pretty well-spoken, more so than some of our players (Joey and Bradford seem like the most well-spoken as far as press conferences go) but it did seem as though they were pretty heartbroken about the loss, especially Gonzalvez.

Can you blame the guy? This was his last shot at VCU. He's lost to VCU all 4 years he's been there. You can tell he's always had a competitive desire to beat VCU for city bragging rights. Now he's out of opportunities. The guy played with a ton of heart and left it all on the court. I for one am glad to see him graduate and wish him well in what will definitely be a long, lucrative career in Europe somewhere.

With him gone, I like our chances a lot better next year since we return everyone but TJ and KP (if Larry sticks around). Gonzalvez and Anderson are what make UR tick. KA certainly can't do it by himself, and they don't have a homecourt advantage playing at Robins since it's usually half VCU-half UR. This was their year to win and we gutted it out and won.

VCU Finance 2008 said:
Whoooosh said:

We recruit guys to win basketball games, not to be the best at talking about losses.

As we should, I was just trying to actually find something positive to say instead of dumping on them as everyone else does.

If you ask me...the best question was asked at the 5:18 mark. ;)

Nice voice on that guy too...

Whoooosh said:
VCU Finance 2008 said:
Whoooosh said:

As we should, I was just trying to actually find something positive to say instead of dumping on them as everyone else does.

I'll say this, when Gonzalvez was serious thinking about transferring following his freshman (?) year, I would have been happy to see him in a VCU uniform. The cat can ball for sure. Him and Eric Maynor in the backcourt would have been pretty incredible.

districtballer said:
I'll say this, when Gonzalvez was serious thinking about transferring following his freshman (?) year, I would have been happy to see him in a VCU uniform. The cat can ball for sure. Him and Eric Maynor in the backcourt would have been pretty incredible.

Why was he considering transferring? Lack of PT?

VCU Finance 2008 said:
Whoooosh said:

Anderson spoke well but Gonzalvez just clapped his hands and shrugged his shoulders. :lol: (just kidding) Everyone is not good at public speaking and with Eric doing most of the talking for the past two years they didn't get much practice. As they get more comfortible they may reach the well-spoken status of the University of Richmond Athletes. ;)

He announced his intent to transfer before coming back (sorta like the Joey situation this spring). He was a highly-regarded recruit out of high school who was/is very talented. He was tired of the losing situation at Richmond. He got plenty of minutes as they were starting 4 freshman that season (including Gonzo) I believe in the wake of Jerry Wainwright leaving UR in shambles on his way to DePaul. Gonzalvez got plenty of minutes, but wanted to be in a winning situation. I guess UR convinced him they were going to turn it around. I'm glad he'll get to taste some success his senior year, they have a great team, I'm just glad he never got to do it at the expense of our Rams.

Didn't we recruit Gonzalvez out of high school?

And what's up with that graphic that the Spiders have won 5 of the last 7 A-10 titles? Are they trying to be cute by referring to all sports and leading someone who is unfamiliar with basketball into thinking their basketball team won 5 out of the last 7 A-10 titles?

I don't want to dump on Mooney (okay, I do :twisted: ) but I have to wonder why he's still at UR. I don't consider the results UR is having now can be 100% attributable to Mooney. He's got a core team of guys who have been playing and starting since their frosh years who are clearly in the groove and gelling very well. I think any coach could get similar results in less time w/ that talent pool but it's taken Mooney the better part of the last 4 years to get to this point. It will be interesting to see what happens next year when a bunch of his kids graduate ("...and go on to live more successful lives..." ;) )

I will say this: I think KA is one of the best PG's we've faced so far. That kid seemed like he could score at will...hate to play him when he's having a 'good' day.

The Spiders have won 5 of last 7 A-10 Titles and have won 54 of their last 59 games against A-10 Teams? What?

Mooney seems like a good guy. He always says good things about our team and players and he seems sincere. You never hear him whining like the fat guy down in Norfolk.

Back