UT-Arlington G Phillip Russell Officially Signed to VCU

That is a problem but it appears that he has cleaned that up.
I actually did a double take when I saw that 11 number. Most players don't get half that many techs in their entire college careers. But the drop to 3 the following season is promising.

Mo dunk was a totally different situation - we were only up single digits and Westhampton was (trying to) continuing to play defense. This game was over and GCU guy wanted an exclamation point. I have no problem with that, but I also have no problem with a shoulder check afterward (of course not during the dunk attempt).

Mo dunk was a totally different situation - we were only up single digits and Westhampton was (trying to) continuing to play defense. This game was over and GCU guy wanted an exclamation point. I have no problem with that, but I also have no problem with a shoulder check afterward (of course not during the dunk attempt).
The Mo dunk couldn't have happened to a better group of guys and fans.

I generally agree but that's not "playing hard to the final horn," that's piling on when the game has been decided, which is definitely not sportsmanship.

Would I advise the players on the losing team to just let it go? Sure, sitting on my couch watching the game on TV that's an easy call. If the kid wanted to shove it in their face and he took offense to it. If you ask would I rather have players who didn't care versus letting the kid know it wasn't cool disrespecting them? In that situation I'll take the tech.

But please don't try to sell that last dunk as having anything to do with "playing hard to the final horn."
That's legit. I respect that view.

I'd just say that if you're going to object to that dunk, get back on defense and don't let him have it.

That's legit. I respect that view.

I'd just say that if you're going to object to that dunk, get back on defense and don't let him have it.
Yeah, I mean at that point the game was over and everybody took their foot off the gas except the kid wanting the make the highlight reel dunk. I know two wrong don't make a right, but an unsportsman-like act was followed by another one, which is kinda expected.

But like I said earlier, I generally agree with your premise.

The one thing I would caution folks about, highlight videos are like hotel photos. For example, here's Jason Nelson's highlight package:

Which is why I laugh when people say look at the highlight video, especially if it is high school game or an AAU game, where minimal defense is really ever played. My nephew was a two-time, first-team all-conference Defensive Lineman in college. His highlight video from high school never showed the plays when he was beaten or made a mistake. His video from college only shows the good stuff. Simply put: highlight videos are propaganda for the players. Nothing wrong with it, but take away very little from the videos. They don’t mean a thing when it comes to how a player will perform at VCU.

Which is why I laugh when people say look at the highlight video, especially if it is high school game or an AAU game, where minimal defense is really ever played. My nephew was a two-time, first-team all-conference Defensive Lineman in college. His highlight video from high school never showed the plays when he was beaten or made a mistake. His video from college only shows the good stuff. Simply put: highlight videos are propaganda for the players. Nothing wrong with it, but take away very little from the videos. They don’t mean a thing when it comes to how a player will perform at VCU.
You can view a mixtape/highlight video to look at form and movement though. I think it might have been Will Wade that one time said...I can watch a player walk around and know whether he is a player or not.

You can view a mixtape/highlight video to look at form and movement though. I think it might have been Will Wade that one time said...I can watch a player walk around and know whether he is a player or not.
Oh, absolutely you can see some things. However, lots of people get excited seeing a guy dunk a lot in a highlight video. That tells me nothing about his basketball skill, other than he can jump. When I view these videos, I’m looking at more nuanced things, like did he make the right read on a break, did he make the unselfish play, is he defending hard, is he active on the glass, things like this. More often than not, the talent level of the opposition in these videos is far below the player whose video we are watching, so that is why I take some of it with a grain of salt.

I'm a big advocate of watching whole game videos when possible to get a better perspective.

Back