Utah Summer League game 4 @5 pm est

bighorn said:
Doesn't mean a thing relative to big picutre; if Maynor is impressive in Salt Lake workouts/preseason exhibitions vs. incumbent, back-up point guards, he'll make team. If not, then let's introduce the Utah Flash.

He has a guaranteed contract. He's making the team regardless.

Are you sure of that, V-Ram. I am certain the money is guaranteed - for two years. That means Maynor gets about $2.7 million for 2010-2011 combined, assuming he does all that is asked of him.

But couldn't an NBA team send its first-round draft choice to the D League for all or a portion of the season?

Why should a basketball player coming out of college be immediately ready for the NBA, when drafted college baseball players (even in the top rounds) routinely spend several years in the minors before reaching MLB, if at all?

PS: sad note: Former VCU pitching star Justin Orenduff (a supplemental first-round draft pick of the Dodgers) has been released. Justin pitched as high as LA's AAA affiliates in Las Vegas and Albuquerque.

This past weekend, Justin played in American Family Fitness's Celebrity Golf Tournament in the Richmond area.

bighorn said:
Are you sure of that, V-Ram. I am certain the money is guaranteed - for two years. That means Maynor gets about $2.7 million for 2010-2011 combined, assuming he does all that is asked of him.

But couldn't an NBA team send its first-round draft choice to the D League for all or a portion of the season?

They already have salary cap/luxury tax problems. He'll be on the team.

In addition, if you heard this interviews, he said for the summer league they wanted to see him distribute the ball, get everyone involved and play defense. I've seen all the games. He's definitely done that, however, he doesn't have a lot to work with when it comes to guys that can catch the ball and shoot. In addition, most of the guys there don't have teams and are just there trying to impress scouts with their ability. They're trying to stand out from the others. They're not there trying to learn a team's system, or playing within a system.

Here are No. 3's five-game totals from Orlando:

Games 5 (team went 3-2)

Minutes: 23:33 average

FG: 11-38 (.289)

Treys; 2-8 (.250)

FT: 11-15 (.714)

Assists: 16

T.O.'s: 11 (not too shabby for 117 minutes, 45 seconds court time)

Scoring average: 7.2

Without having watched (can't comment on Maynor's defense), I'd say the former Ram fared well in foul-shooting and taking care of the ball under what could have been hectic circumstances; his play in Florida isn't likely to have any influence on his eventual status with Jazz varsity.

You've got to wonder how Jazz fans feel about their draft. No. 2 pick Suton averaged 4.8 points, 4.4 rebounds in 19:38 per game in Orlando; he was 10-28 from the field, 0-10 from distance.

bighorn said:
Here are No. 3's five-game totals from Orlando:

Games 5 (team went 3-2)

Minutes: 23:33 average

FG: 11-38 (.289)

Treys; 2-8 (.250)

FT: 11-15 (.714)

Assists: 16

T.O.'s: 11 (not too shabby for 117 minutes, 45 seconds court time)

Scoring average: 7.2

Without having watched (can't comment on Maynor's defense), I'd say the former Ram fared well in foul-shooting and taking care of the ball under what could have been hectic circumstances; his play in Florida isn't likely to have any influence on his eventual status with Jazz varsity.

You've got to wonder how Jazz fans feel about their draft. No. 2 pick Suton averaged 4.8 points, 4.4 rebounds in 19:38 per game in Orlando; he was 10-28 from the field, 0-10 from distance.

You'd think someone who prides themselves on accuracy, and already misrepresented a number of stats in this thread would check and double check...

Eric was 12-15 from the FT line, 80%.

No wonder media general is going belly up.

Rambunctious said:
If E is tired already he will never make it in the NBA...82 games + playoff series and constant travel. I don't think he's tired but just playing with new faces and against better competition. You can't expect him to get 22 and 6 at this level.

In that instance, everyone's in the same boat. In this case, most of these summer league players are well rested. The mid to late to first round picks, like Eric, are the ones who have been busting their asses for the last three months. Eric was flying places just about every day. In addition, I don't think he'll get too tired playing 10 to 15 minutes a game.

I dont think he was tired.

Just speculating but I am pretty sure I saw him take a shot to the face in the second quarter and he didn’t play much after that.

Since the commentators were so focused on D. Howard nothing was said of it.

from the Salt Lake Trib...

Tyrone Corbin (Jazz asst. coach) said he thought Maynor "broke down a little bit or got a little tired" at the end of the week, underscoring the importance for the Virginia Commonwealth product to get stronger.

"You've got to get used to it," Maynor said. "That's just 10 days. I've got to play 82 games next season."

At least one Richmonder got a first-hand look at most of Eric Maynor's Summer League games in Orlando.

That would be Midlothian High/VCU grad Garrick Shannon, who refereed four of the fives games in which No. 3 participated.

Shannon reports that "Eric looked very good, running the team ... it's just that his shot wasn't falling."

The athletically-built Shannon - a real up-and-comer in officiating circles - wears the striped shirt for MEAC and Big South college action, and criss-crossed the nation much of this past winter tooting his whistle in the NBA "D" League.

He has called many of the high-profile high school games at Siegel Center and has was worked VCU scrimmages in the past. Shannon spent his week in Orlando palling around with ex-UR star turned official Curtis Blair.

Does anyone know when the NBA schedule is released? I'm sure most of us are lookin' forward to the Wizards game

Back