VCU and Papa Johns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello;

I wanted to share my opinion, as an alumni, father of an undergraduate student, season ticket holder and donor, that VCU should follow the lead of other organizations and end our relationship with Papa John's Pizza.

I have included a link to an article outlining some of the latest in a string of questionable actions.

I would like to suggest we end the sponsorship at sporting events, and that we institute a policy, for the entire school, of never using school funds to pay for products from Papa Johns until such time as they have demonstrated a consistent model of better behavior.

I would also say there is no apology or pledge we should consider, but we must judge them by their actions.

I would urge you to strongly consider this course of action.

Thank you, have a nice day, and Go Rams!

Hello;

I wanted to share my opinion, as an alumni, father of an undergraduate student, season ticket holder and donor, that VCU should follow the lead of other organizations and end our relationship with Papa John's Pizza.

I have included a link to an article outlining some of the latest in a string of questionable actions.

I would like to suggest we end the sponsorship at sporting events, and that we institute a policy, for the entire school, of never using school funds to pay for products from Papa Johns until such time as they have demonstrated a consistent model of better behavior.

I would also say there is no apology or pledge we should consider, but we must judge them by their actions.

I would urge you to strongly consider this course of act
Thank you, have a nice day, and Go Rams!

Ed what are you suggesting as a course of action? Is this a petition? Is this a letter you sent to the AD, the University President etc?

I agree VCU should end its affiliation with this bigots organization. This is his second offense in less than a year. Major League teams have already jumped ship, Louisville is looking to ending its naming rights, surely the amount of money VCU receives is less than the cost of our integrity.

I say this as an alum, a member of the family that has multiple alum, a donor, and as season ticket holder.

He lost his CEO title some time ago and now is no longer the chairmen of the board (though I don't know if he'll still be on the board or not). If he's kicked off the board for good and no longer has any management say in the business then I'm fine with what has transpired to date and don't see a need to do any further harm to the company and its employees.

He dug his own grave and lost his business because of it.

He lost his CEO title some time ago and now is no longer the chairmen of the board (though I don't know if he'll still be on the board or not). If he's kicked off the board for good and no longer has any management say in the business then I'm fine with what has transpired to date and don't see a need to do any further harm to the company and its employees.

He dug his own grave and lost his business because of it.
Just for informational purpose, he is still the majority shareholder, so even if he never steps inside of a store or corporate office, he will be a major player. I had stopped my personal dealing with them after the first event. Likewise, several organizations that I deal with also had made that move. Nothing of any consequence to the bottom line but I just personally felt better about not doing business with them.

Recently, I was talking with a friend and was given a viewpoint not specific to Papa John's but in general regarding companies that I choose not to patronize. Any person who has mutual funds is most likely not to escape "supporting" companies that have questionable practices or fall short on the moral compass.

For example, if you invest in any of these funds, you invest in Papa Johns

T Rowe Price New Horizons Fund
JPMorgan Small Cap Equity Fund
Neuberger Berman Genesis Fund
iShares Core S&P Mid Cap ETF
Vanguard Total Stock Market Index...
Vanguard Small Cap Index Fund
iShares Russell 2000 ETF
DFA US Small Cap Portfolio
Acorn Fund
Vanguard Explorer Fund

To condemn an entire company, which is made up of individuals who have purchased franchises with their own money, just because their leader made a inappropriate, insensitive remark, is a bit over the top. Should we condemn the entire Republican Party, because of their leader's (Trump) comments? He's only said about a thousand insensitive things to people. There are almost 5,000 franchises nationally, individually owned. Do you want to punish them or him? He's already paid a heavy price, in disgrace and ridicule.

I would support this move. As to the comments re the impact to franchises, I'd be surprised if vcu pulling the plug will materially impact them any more than Papa's own words have on customer sales. I'd also be surprised if corporate isn't preparing to throw tons of cash at this to rebuild trust, ala starbucks. And if they do the right things, then i'd reconsider. But TBH, if he retains a majority vote, no amount of sensitivity training or donations will change my position.
That said; I've not bought a PJ pizza in many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back